Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Will this set a new record for lowest attendance for a "competitive" game at Adams Park?

And is the the most pointless match in Wycombe's history?

• It’s only ‘pointless’ because we have been woefully in this competition. It’s point is for fringe squad players to showcase their match day ability to Gaz and Dobo. 300 Chairfolk with 8 Brewers?!!

• Hopefully our last-ever game in this nonsense

• It's time for another revamp of this competition.
    Three guaranteed games seemed like a backwards step, as even the 3 team round robin format felt a bit too much.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Will this set a new record for lowest attendance for a "competitive" game at Adams Park?

And is the the most pointless match in Wycombe's history?

One can only hope.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully our last-ever game in this nonsense

it's nice to be on the same page :)

• Why not have the 48 teams from L1 and L2, and just have 12 groups of 3 teams with 2 progressing to the next round, with four teams getting knocked out based on goal difference like at the Euros?

• Why not make it a plate competition for those football league sides who have exited the league and fa cups: The Ikea Cup. 'we know it will be replaced in a few years, so let's just get on with it!'

• Worst game ever? Dead rubber in Mickey Mouse trophy, AND opponents to remind us it should have been Derby instead of us. A really boring kick in the teeth, one might say.

• It's a horrible competition, and i couldn't care less about the result, but i do hope that Penders, Parsons, Linton, Ram, Forino etc get a good run out.

There have been so many iterations of the FLT since we've been a league club and none of them seem to work. I don't understand why the competition hasn't folded.

• The EFL bigwigs are probably paid an enormous amount...it is appalling that they cannot organise a decent competition for the sport they are supposed to be running that excites league clubs without irritating or upsetting the majority of fans!. It offers a possible Wembley appearance and a Cup for goodness sake!

• I think they should scrap it in favour of regional tournaments with similar clubs each time, to try and foster more rivalry. If they did loose bands of North, Midlands and South, we would have the likes of Plymouth, Portsmouth, Gillingham, Charlton, Wimbledon, Exeter, Crawley, Sutton and Leyton Orient. If you saw the same clubs year in, year out (with variables based on promotion out of L1 and relegation out of L2) they could perhaps build into something approaching bragging rights.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The EFL bigwigs are probably paid an enormous amount...it is appalling that they cannot organise a decent competition for the sport they are supposed to be running that excites league clubs without irritating or upsetting the majority of fans!. It offers a possible Wembley appearance and a Cup for goodness sake!

In some ways it's quite an achievement!

• Anderson on the bench. Not sure if back from Eastbourne or just this weird rule about players out on loan being allowed to play in the PJT. At least we know he's ok!

• 'Wembley final and you ****ed it up!'

• When was the last time we named three substitutes?

• Aaron Holloway playing for Burton.

• Forino captain as well. Not bad for someone who's not even a real player.

• I guess TJ is still injured. If it's the normal shape with wide WBs i wonder if it's Mehmeti or Parsons on the right.

• Nice to see Wakely on the bench. I haven't been following this...I assume we are already out?

• I'm spending a tenner on this, just because I get the satisfaction of boycotting attending and a chance to watch some development players.

• Seems that Andre Burley must have been recalled.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Nice to see Wakely on the bench. I haven't been following this...I assume we are already out?

Yes. Lost 3-1 to Villa's kids and 2-1 (?) to Milton Keynes.

• I've completely blanked on who Leathers is.

• @floyd said:
    I guess TJ is still injured. If it's the normal shape with wide WBs i wonder if it's Mehmeti or Parsons on the right.

TJ is on international duty isn’t he

• @floyd said:
    I guess TJ is still injured. If it's the normal shape with wide WBs i wonder if it's Mehmeti or Parsons on the right.

International duty. He came off the bench on Saturday!

• So is Fischer the only player in the squad yet to feature in any capacity?

• @adamspark said:
    Seems that Andre Burley must have been recalled.

Nah, you're allowed to play loaned out players in this. I guess you might have to have an agreement with the loaning club, but the same applies to Linton and Anderson (assuming he is still at Eastbourne).

• @adamspark said:
    Seems that Andre Burley must have been recalled.

Not at all, loanees are allowed to play in this ridiculous competition. Linton is also playing for us whilst on loan at King's Lynn.