Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• Given your indifference, why then are you devoting your time to this debate? Surely you could be doing something you love instead?

• I agree that the team put out was more than likely not the one that would have started a league game.... However I do believe GA put out a team he genuinely believed could see off a league 2 team. Obviously this didn't pay off, but surely most managers would do the same? If we had drawn a championship team fighting it out at the top of the table, I would expect the team they put out against us to have a few non regulars.

• @our_frank said:
    @drcongo What's up with you? Why the abuse? These people just wanted us to play a better team in the FA Cup and have explained that it matters to them and why. It's not like they've threatened to watch another team instead, like you did last season, from your pearl-clutching couch - you know, in the days when you were accusing the manager of trying not to win.

Not sure who I've abused, I'm just highly amused at all the conniptions over us playing one development team player (who incidentally scored and won a penalty) in a cup game, and how that makes a manager who has achieved more at this club than any other a "liar", and how that means the FA Cup has been "disrespected".

Don't remember ever threatening to "watch another team instead", but then again I don't remember much these days. And I also never accused the manager of "trying not to win", you've rearranged some words there to suit your argument. I accused us of not trying to win, ie: playing for a draw, in that godawful game against a godawful Birmingham City, which incidentally, if we had won, we'd have stayed up.

If the manager says he's put out the best team he can for a fixture, I take his word for it. Don't see the point of accusing him of lying.

• I’ll start by saying I love the FA cup and am a great fan of replays and multiple replays! However leading up to the Hartlepool match our “strongest” team had conceded 7 goals in 2 games and had dropped points from winning positions in both matches. Posters here have commented on perhaps a lack or unknown strength in depth in central defence and GK. Made good sense to me to have a look at those closest to first team in those positions. Now when Forino is called upon for his next game (perhaps Portsmouth on Saturday or whenever) he’s got the Hartlepool game, goal and confidence under his belt. That has got to be a good thing

• @drcongo said:

@our_frank said:
    @drcongo What's up with you? Why the abuse? These people just wanted us to play a better team in the FA Cup and have explained that it matters to them and why. It's not like they've threatened to watch another team instead, like you did last season, from your pearl-clutching couch - you know, in the days when you were accusing the manager of trying not to win.

Not sure who I've abused, I'm just highly amused at all the conniptions over us playing one development team player (who incidentally scored and won a penalty) in a cup game, and how that makes a manager who has achieved more at this club than any other a "liar", and how that means the FA Cup has been "disrespected".

Don't remember ever threatening to "watch another team instead", but then again I don't remember much these days. And I also never accused the manager of "trying not to win", you've rearranged some words there to suit your argument. I accused us of not trying to win, ie: playing for a draw, in that godawful game against a godawful Birmingham City, which incidentally, if we had won, we'd have stayed up.

If the manager says he's put out the best team he can for a fixture, I take his word for it. Don't see the point of accusing him of lying.

Underrated use of english here :)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What part of six players being unavailable - all for specified reasons - are people finding so hard to get their heads around?

Really? Ok. I'll answer

Because at least some of them would have played in a league match.

• @ReturnToSenda well done on your digging. What is Garath McCleary's injury and when is he likely to return?

Cheers

• @eric_plant said:
    @ReturnToSenda well done on your digging. What is Garath McCleary's injury and when is he likely to return?

Cheers

Haha, I did try to get an answer on that (don't ask, don't get and all that) but unsurprisingly didn't get anywhere. All there really is to go on is this post from GMac on the day of the Fleetwood game...

• Hold on, is your "digging" just asking people at the club?

I mean, I'm sure they they told you the truth....

This all reminds me of the FA Trophy final in 1991 where John Granville had broken his finger in the run up to it and Wycombe had managed to keep that information out of the public domain, specifically the Bucks Free Press

Martin O'Neill was so proud of that that he brought it up in his post match interview

• edited November 2021

People talk about disrespect for the FA Cup, but those accusing Ainsworth of lying are showing a hell of a lot of disrespect for him. The same goes for any other members or club staff. Just a very odd attitude to the whole thing.

• Only five days until we have a game to discuss anyway...

• I'd have had less of a problem is GA had admitted the Cup wasn't his priority this season and he'd rested some players. It doesn't mean i'm not thrilled for Forino. He'll always remember Saturday's game, probably even more so since it was in the Cup!

@ReturnToSenda We've got a game tomorrow. You're free to hold that in as much contempt as you can muster.

• @floyd I barely even acknowledge it as a game! At least it's a chance for Przybek and Forino to get some momentum in case they're needed on Saturday.

• The whole point though, I'd have thought, is whether or not we get through to the next round?

I've listened again to Gaz's comments on the excellent Ringing the Blues podcast and I don't see any discrepancy between what he said there and the side he picked.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @floyd I barely even acknowledge it as a game! At least it's a chance for Przybek and Forino to get some momentum in case they're needed on Saturday.

Hopefully they'll play Saturday to give Stockdale and Taf more time to recover for the replay.

• Many have written about how disrespectful they felt the team selection on Saturday was to both the competition and the fans. It's is absolutely right that they can hold that view.
    However, is it not also true that they themselves are being disrespectful towards GA, Dobbo, the club and those players who played when stating that it was not the strongest team possible that played?
    They might argue that certain players could have played in a league - but quite frankly they don't have all the facts available to GA, Dobbo nor do they have to carry the can if playing those players resulted in longer term injury nor do they have to try and guide WWFC back to the Championship.

• What @Twizz said. I thought there was enough quality in the team to win that game. Looked like one of the poor quality replacements sent to disgrace the Cup did okay. Hartlepool are doing well in L2 and judging by the the highlights seemed to also want to win the game.
    We are still in the hat. Sunderland lost to a struggling Mansfield Town.

• edited November 2021

It's also not disrespectful to League Two opposition if you field a weakened team of players who are still League One quality even if it's not the 'strongest 11' (which, as others have rightly said, isn't really a thing anymore). Upsets obviously happen, but it's not arrogant to think we should be beating a team from the division below - otherwise what's the point of even having tiers?

• Personally got no problem with the selection for Saturdays game. It was fantastic for Forino and Przybek to get that experience under their belts, hopefully they will be starting again tomorrow night and maybe in next weeks replay too

The team we put out had 3 internationals, former international in Vokes case, and 2 more on the bench. Surely good enough to come away with a result, which we did if you’re happy not to have lost the tie.

Not sure from what I’ve read and listening to the commentary the formation was. But it strikes me that 442 with Horgan playing off Vokes would have been solid and hard to beat.

I absolutely love the FA cup BTW and don’t think we have disrespected it. Excited for the upcoming round 2 draw. COYB

• Being ball number 29 has got me thinking... Who's worn the 29 shirt for Wycombe? Currently De Barr but can't have been that many?

• When all is said and done (let’s hope!) if you asked the chairman which was his priority - a Cup run or promotion - I think I know what his answer would be. No comment or words to that effect, I imagine.

• I’m going to repeat this because some people choose to ignore the facts. Eight of the players who started at Hartlepool figured against Ipswich and if you add Thompson, a first team regular, that’s nine members of the senior squad plus two from the development squad. Hardly a severely weakened team, let alone one of the darkest days in our history!

• Has anyone actually asked the FA Cup how it feels about this flagrant show of disrespect?

• I think our concern was more to do with key absentees (especially the goalkeeper and the two central defenders) and, to a lesser extent, Hanlan being on the bench and McCleary clearly not as ready as we thought he might be against a League 2 side who will probably be challenging for promotion to League 1. More concerned that is than about the largely unknown quantities who were drafted in but, in the event, they both did well - Chris Forino exceptionally so. It was noticeable too, from the commentary, how our performance stepped up a gear with the introduction of the star of several Championship matches last season.

• Enjoyed reading the back and forth on this thread about the selection. Looking at the team, a bit light as regards established defenders but midfield and forwards all regulars. Doesn't seem at all disrespectful to play a goalkeeper who has played for England and Wales age groups and had a lot of loan experience. He could come on at any time in a match to replace an injured goalkeeper. So the only argument is about the centre half. What's the point of a squad if they cannot be used judiciously, as was the case on Saturday?

• And the eight who figured against Ipswich didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory.

• @micra said:
    And the eight who figured against Ipswich didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory.

A bad day at the office, we've learned, we've moved on @micra and we're going again. No need to mention that.

• Sooorry! Said in a slow unconvincing teenage drawl !

• @micra said:
    Sooorry! Said in a slow unconvincing teenage drawl !

Yes but it should have been on Facebook/Tiktok/ Twitter......???

• @drcongo said:

@our_frank said:

Whether Mr Frank was implying the abuse, was when Mr Congo made the bizarre claim that I was offended by Mr Ainsworth not playing 'My favourite players' of that I'm unsure.
    But to reassure Mr Frank, who is someone whose posts, I find interesting and thought provoking, I'm not to deeply offended by Mr Congo's remarks as the respect I have for that particular poster is not much higher than Corinthian Casuals performances in the early 70's.