Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• Feel a bit for Pendlebury. First few games he was magnificent

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Feel a bit for Pendlebury. First few games he was magnificent

I wondered if we’d see him. I imagine he starts on Tuesday vs Burton, but yes, to me he’s the cream of the development team so would like to see more of him. But GA did say quite a few times early in the season that he was in the first 11 because of injuries, but I do think in future he’s a great asset.

• @thecatwwfc said:

yes seems odd that he's not had much of a chance since?

• @PBo said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Sunderland forum will be lively tonight !

The short version, many are calling for Lee Johnson to go, with Warnock (sacked today by Middlesbrough) being a popular candidate to replace him.

I wouldn't want to watch that every week!!!!

• @drcongo said:
    That second Pools goal was very nice.

Thought both were great! That skill to set up the first was top notch, eh.

• I don’t like the gold kit.

It’s definitely a penalty. The keeper clears Forino out after he’s headed the ball, the equivalent of a defender making a late tackle.

Not a great result, obviously, but Hartlepool are a decent side.

• @Chris said:
    I don’t like the gold kit.

>
    I'm with you there. Described as wet sand on the commentary yesterday!

• @thecatwwfc said:

Yes he scored two cracking goals at Cheltenham but in both that and the previous match the game was passing him by in centre mid. Way way behind other options in mid field, his time will come.

• Fair comment @perfidious_albion. I remembered the goals but had forgotten the view of someone (maybe more than one person) that, in the classic phrase, the game had passed him by at times. But he’s very young and has probably been working on that part of his game. Some Reading fans were were very sorry to see him go, I seem to recall.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't understand how a potentially (although probably not) costly defeat in our bid for promotion could be more disappointing than going out of a competition that's a lottery in terms of who you play and which we're in every season anyway. But maybe that's also an age thing!

The first in a series of depressing posts on this thread. Awful stuff.

As others have said some incredible memories from years gone by of amazing cup ties and replays.

Perhaps we wouldn't have needed one if GA had selected his best XI. Not having his comments yesterday about fielding our strongest eleven with Scowen and Hanlan on the bench. Also no way some of the others such as Stockdale would have been left at home for a league game.

Prize money not to be sniffed at. Lucrative third round draw and potential windfall not far away. I fully endorse Ainsworth's comments about treating the FA Cup with the utmost respect but it's a shame his actions don't match his words. Strange as I usually find myself generally on board with all he says and feel he is otherwise always honest in interviews.

• Having seen it again, I agree it's a penalty. Stupid decision from the 'keeper to come for a harmless ball - which their fans seem to agree with.

• edited November 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    Been out so just caught up. What's the point of having a squad if you don't want to rotate? Players got minutes...another goal scorer and we are still in the hat. Job done.

Squads should be seen and not used (but yes, bizarre attitude in this day and age).

• @DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't understand how a potentially (although probably not) costly defeat in our bid for promotion could be more disappointing than going out of a competition that's a lottery in terms of who you play and which we're in every season anyway. But maybe that's also an age thing!

Also no way some of the others such as Stockdale would have been left at home for a league game.

But that's the point... It wasn't a league game.

• Totally agree with you Mr DJWYC, We are now at the stage that football is losing all morality.
    Entering major competitions and not doing your upmost to progress, by not fielding your strongest team is an insult to fans, players past and present.
    Shameful day in Wanderers History.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Also no way some of the others such as Stockdale would have been left at home for a league game.

Well that's my point. GA said he fielded the strongest 11 he could.

Don't say one thing then do something else.

• edited November 2021

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Well that's my point. GA said he fielded the strongest 11 he could.

Don't say one thing then do something else.

But he should be able to say 'I gave a few lads a rest / rotated a bit' and that be fine and people not get on his case. The FA Cup is less important than the league, not least in a season when promotion is the aim (the expectation, even) - expecting the strongest possible 11/squad yesterday was completely unrealistic, especially with the strength in depth we have now.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Totally agree with you Mr DJWYC, We are now at the stage that football is losing all morality.
    Entering major competitions and not doing your upmost to progress, by not fielding your strongest team is an insult to fans, players past and present.

Slight overreaction perhaps?

• It's so strange and slightly depressing that people feel about cup games the way they do.

I'd also argue it was a little bit of an insult to the fans that took the time and the expense to travel all the way up there yesterday. Anyway, we got away with it. Let's hope we show the competition, Hartlepool, and the fans a bit more respect In the replay

• The pearl clutching in this thread over a couple of development team players being given a first team opportunity is quite a sight to behold. I'd better fetch the Gasroom fainting couch and some smelling salts before the "shame" completely overwhelms the more delicate among you.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Totally agree with you Mr DJWYC, We are now at the stage that football is losing all morality.

Slight overreaction perhaps?

Slight overreaction. You get the understatement of the week award. We have played a lot of games in a short space of time and people have said that Scowen, for instance, was looking jaded and needed a rest. Also, if the manager says that Stocko was ill and other players like Grimmer were injured, who are we as fans to doubt his word?

• Stocko, Taf and Grimmer were all genuinely unavailable btw (sounds like Grimmer could be for a little while) - as was Stewart, for obvious reasons. So the only real 'weakening' was Gape in for Scowen and Kaikai in for Hanlan?

• Let me get this straight...that Ainsworth is a liar and this was one of the most shameful days in our history?

• I remember Mr Ainsworth publicly saying Matt Ingram was touch and go for the Playoff final v Southend !!
    Every reason to doubt his word.

• And no drum cost us a win? Who knew away at 'pools could be so eventful?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Let me get this straight...that Ainsworth is a liar and this was one of the most shameful days in our history?

He's en route to The Hague as we speak

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Stocko, Taf and Grimmer were all genuinely unavailable btw (sounds like Grimmer could be for a little while) - as was Stewart, for obvious reasons. So the only real 'weakening' was Gape in for Scowen and Kaikai in for Hanlan?

What don't you get? He said he played his strongest eleven but didn't.

As it goes I have no issue with some rotation particularly now we have the squad to do it, in fact I was endorsing it myself yesterday before the game given we were facing a team from L2. That's not disrespectful it's doing what you deem best for the club. What is annoying is our manager basically lying saying he picked the best team he could. No-one is buying that. What I also find weird is people on this thread saying they would rather lose than have a replay. Very odd mindset in my view and disrespectful towards what is a great competition and could potentially have huge financial reward.

If he'd just said as you suggested that he wanted to rest a few for this game at least it would have been honest. Don't fob off fans pretending different.

As I said, strange as usually GA is honest and relatable in the press.

• @DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Stocko, Taf and Grimmer were all genuinely unavailable btw (sounds like Grimmer could be for a little while) - as was Stewart, for obvious reasons. So the only real 'weakening' was Gape in for Scowen and Kaikai in for Hanlan?

If he'd just said as you suggested that he wanted to rest a few for this game at least it would have been honest. Don't fob off fans pretending different.

He rested two players, one of whom (Scowen) clearly needed a rest. So are people getting all bent out of shape because Kaikai played instead of Hanlan?

• I think we should take the Cup seriously and I also think young and squad players should be used to rest our first teamers if necessary.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

He rested two players, one of whom (Scowen) clearly needed a rest. So are people getting all bent out of shape because Kaikai played instead of Hanlan?

Not sure I can explain it any more clearly to be honest.

• edited November 2021

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@DJWYC14 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not sure I can explain it any more clearly to be honest.

You think Ainsworth was lying about the others? I had my doubts at first as well, but I did a bit of digging and the only one you could say might have played in a league game is Taf (knock). People need to get a grip.