Skip to content

Is the Portsmouth home game going to be postponed?

Do Pompey have players who will be called up for International duty?

Comments

• Gareth pretty much said it'll be off

• Well, he said "maybe a break against Pompey ... we'll see what happens there" - which I'm taking to mean it'll be off, but maybe I'm reading too much between the lines.

We've each got one in the Ireland squad so far anyway.

• edited November 2021

Horgan just announced on Twitter as being called up and the Pompey keeper, Bazanu, is in that squad as well.

• Excellent use of the word 'liaise.'

• Personally hope it's on, it will only lead to more of a fixture congestion later on. Bigger crowd, more revenue on a Saturday too.

I still think we would have had a better shot at Ipswich had we played them earlier when they were out of form and new players were still gelling.

• Presumably it will be Pompey's decision because Horgan usually sits on the bench and De Barr is never in the squad.

• I suspect De Barr may be on the bench at Hartlepool.

• last time round, Bazunu, Morrell and Azeez were the Pompey call-ups. They were all involved in last Tuesday's rescheduled game against Cheltenham, so you'd imagine that if the three are called up again, Pompey will call it off regardless of what we're minded to do.

• Unless the Cowleys think they can turn us over with the players that are available (fingers crossed!). Totally selfish as I have no leave left for rescheduled games!

• excellent.

• That looks promising. Would like the game to go ahead for a number of reasons but most importantly have a mate and his two boys coming to watch from Pompey!

• If it is down to us, I would base it on whether McLeary is healthy, perhaps. We have 1 point from two games since he went down, and though much of it has been defensive, I would rather play the game with him than without.

• @Shev said:
    If it is down to us, I would base it on whether McLeary is healthy, perhaps. We have 1 point from two games since he went down, and though much of it has been defensive, I would rather play the game with him than without.

I sort of agree...but also think we've got to find a way to win without him.

• edited November 2021

Spotting correlations where there aren't any... Loss of structure out of possession has been our downfall in the last couple of games - and that's nothing to do with being without GMac.

• Perhaps he offers something that you can't easily represent with statistics?

• edited November 2021

Also, maybe we put that Fleetwood game to bed in the first half with his finishing. Maybe we are 2-0 up on Ipswich instead of 1-0. It's all ifs and buts, but I think we can all agree our team is better with GMac in the side?

• I'm not saying we won't miss him over a longer period, but it's too simplistic to attribute those two results to his absence. I would like to see Horgan start the next league game, though.

• Well, maybe the one after the next one!

• Given that both clubs are now unlikely to get 3 call ups, I think it’ll be a quick call over the weekend to Pompey!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Personally hope it's on, it will only lead to more of a fixture congestion later on. Bigger crowd, more revenue on a Saturday too.

I still think we would have had a better shot at Ipswich had we played them earlier when they were out of form and new players were still gelling.

Didn't we have at least 3 injuries, the likes of McCleary & Taf for two, as well as Horgan and Mehmeti being out. Plus Hanlan had only recently joined?

It's no given that a depleted squad would have beaten even an out of form Ipswich.

• Kaikai still to be called up presumably (Sierra Leone have one game, a friendly v Comoros in Turkey), which would leave us able to get the game called off - which I think we will do if Mehmeti gets called up and decides to go.

• Mehmeti didn't seem to be called up for the most recent Albania U21 fixtures. Or if he was called up he decided not go?

De Barr I know decided not to go to Gibraltar's most recent fixtures, which was odd, but perhaps was related to the injury he sustained against Turkey which kept him out for a while.

I guess Covid restrictions in the countries being played in may play a part on whether players decide to go or not.

• I'm not sure Tjay has enough squad appearances to qualify as one of the three. Is it five appearances?

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I'm not sure Tjay has enough squad appearances to qualify as one of the three. Is it five appearances?

Ah, good point. I thought it was x number of inclusions in the matchday squad in the last however many games - but either way I don't think he counts.

• How on Earth anyone can claim getting 1 point from 6 has not been affected by our best player by some distance not playing is baffling to me! He holds the ball, is calm and composed and allows his team mates time to recover and re-group. And that is not even to mention his high quality in a creative and attacking sense. We’d have beaten Fleetwood comfortably had played. Ipswich I’m not so sure but we’d certainly have been a bit more controlled in possession and stood a better chance.

• @Quarterman said:
    How on Earth anyone can claim getting 1 point from 6 has not been affected by our best player by some distance not playing is baffling to me! He holds the ball, is calm and composed and allows his team mates time to recover and re-group. And that is not even to mention his high quality in a creative and attacking sense. We’d have beaten Fleetwood comfortably had played. Ipswich I’m not so sure but we’d certainly have been a bit more controlled in possession and stood a better chance.

Didn't say it hasn't had an effect, just that it's not as simple as saying that's the only reason.

• I'd argue we missed Thompson just as much on Tuesday, such was our complete loss of midfield structure.