Skip to content

Wycombe Redfords

13»

Comments

• @LX1 said:
    If you had a time machine but could only use it once, which game would you go to?

It would definitely be Loakes Park, sadly I started supporting Wycombe 15 months too late, first game was 1st August 1991, beat Watford 2-1.

Realistically, I'd liked to have gone to see us beat Chorley 4-0 on 24th March 1990. So I'll stick with that, so I could sample Loakes Park on a normal matchday.

• Highbury, Saturday 14th March 1957
    F.A. Amateur Cup semi-final
    Wycombe Wanderers 4 Corinthian Casuals 2
    I remember that game well but it led to the almost inevitable loss to Bishop Aukland in the final. Previous losses at Brentford and Doncaster were semi-finals so getting to the final, even if we lost, was a great experience

• @Hopping_Wanderer said:

@LX1 said:
    If you had a time machine but could only use it once, which game would you go to?

It would definitely be Loakes Park, sadly I started supporting Wycombe 15 months too late, first game was 1st August 1991, beat Watford 2-1.

Realistically, I'd liked to have gone to see us beat Chorley 4-0 on 24th March 1990. So I'll stick with that, so I could sample Loakes Park on a normal matchday.

Evening cup replays at Loakes Park had the most wonderful crackling atmosphere. Its almost impossible to describe the unique buzz that was created especially as we attacked a packed gasworks end in the second half.
    Hendon and Worcester City spring to mind.

• I remember particularly the long saga of four games before we lost to Bedford Town in 1966. I think the second replay was the first match under floodlights and the pitch was a sea of mud that glistened under the lights. This was the longest it took any FA Cup match to come to a conclusion. A record I have an idea has never been beaten.
    26-Nov-1966 Bedford Town FAC 1 H D 1-1
    30-Nov-1966 Bedford Town FAC 1 1r A D 3-3
    5-Dec-1966 Bedford Town FAC 1 2r H D 1-1
    8-Dec-1966 Bedford Town FAC 1 3r A L 2-

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Definitely Leicester in the FA cup run, closely followed by Wimbledon.

My first Wycombe game was the subsequent loss to Liverpool, I'd give anything to have been there when Essandoh scored.

That was my wife's first ever Wycombe match too. And her last.

• @drcongo said:

@OxfordBlue said:

My first Wycombe game was the subsequent loss to Liverpool, I'd give anything to have been there when Essandoh scored.

Well if that match didn't get her hooked then no ,match will. Was she your wife then or did this marriage take place post match?

• @drcongo said:

@OxfordBlue said:

Strangely my wifes last Wycombe game was that Liverpool semi final. Only remembers the rain which I had forgetten long ago.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

@OxfordBlue said:

Strangely my wifes last Wycombe game was that Liverpool semi final. Only remembers the rain which I had forgetten long ago.

Will always remember the rain after the Liverpool game. Felt strangely empty on the journey home, the rain just made it worse.

• My enduring memory of the Liverpool game is walking down the steps on the way out and the big electronic scoreboard at the other end went out. Then it really hit me that our incredible run was over and sadness descended. Although we played really well, I was really disappointed that we had not managed to nick it, I wasn't there for a jolly day out.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    My enduring memory of the Liverpool game is walking down the steps on the way out and the big electronic scoreboard at the other end went out. Then it really hit me that our incredible run was over and sadness descended. Although we played really well, I was really disappointed that we had not managed to nick it, I wasn't there for a jolly day out.

Yup, we were in it at 0-0 for so long and even at the death after Rhino's goal there was a shout for a corner which McCarthy would have come up for...and while I'm not saying we were hard done by it did keep the seemingly impossible possible until the last whilstle on that day.

• Imagine not giving a shit about the FA cup

• @Steve_Peart said:
    My enduring memory of the Liverpool game is walking down the steps on the way out and the big electronic scoreboard at the other end went out. Then it really hit me that our incredible run was over and sadness descended. Although we played really well, I was really disappointed that we had not managed to nick it, I wasn't there for a jolly day out.

It’s really strange that you were hit by a profound sense of sadness leaving Villa Park that day. I felt it too. It was entirely unique, something I’d never felt before nor since. The rain seemed entirely fitting.

• I remember being verbally abused for not wearing Wycombe colours that day by a bloke in a blue wig who I’ve never seen at a game before or since.

• Yes, I recall a deep sense of deflation at the end of our amazing journey to the Semi's. A small bunch of us piled into the car and went to Swansea for the following Tuesday night's clash, just to keep up the support. Sadly, the deflation was also too much for the team on this occasion and we lost (3-1?).
    An aside to the Cup game was that my pal and I then were fortunate to be selected to have the Cup Final tickets that were allocated by the FA to the local youth club we both volunteered for. We had great seats at Cardiff on the first level near the front and I wore my Wycombe top! I recall Gary McAllister giving me the thumbs up when he spotted the shirt as the Cup was being paraded round at the end. For some reason, my sadness/deflation dissapeared at about that point.