Skip to content

Man of the Match - Ipswich

Comments

• On a different note, I like 'The Postman' for JJ, though maybe a little too obvious of a metaphor.

• The Postman has been taken by ‘Flying’ John Williams.

• The Courier

• 42 votes for Hanlan De Man.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    The Postman has been taken by ‘Flying’ John Williams.

Air Mail? Or The Courier per @ReturnToSenda is a good shout too.

• @micra said:
    42 votes for Hanlan De Man.

At this rate, more people are going to start spelling his name correctly like you just did!

• @Shev said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

Air Mail? Or The Courier per @ReturnToSenda is a good shout too.

Surely the whole point is that the postman always delivers.

No-one living in the last 18 months has ever said ‘the courier always delivers’ because quite frankly they don’t. JJ is just JJ isn’t he?

• The Courier would work if JJ was prone to leaving stuff on your doorstep and driving off without even bothering to knock.

• @drcongo said:
    The Courier would work if JJ was prone to leaving stuff on your doorstep and driving off without even bothering to knock.

The corner equivalent of hitting the first man, no?

• @JohnBoy said:

@drcongo said:
    The Courier would work if JJ was prone to leaving stuff on your doorstep and driving off without even bothering to knock.

The corner equivalent of hitting the first man, no?

To be fair, there were a fair few of those on Tuesday.

• edited November 2021

Bonus stats about Hanlan:

• 3 MOTM wins (joint top) in just 7 starts
    • 17.28 average votes per start. McLeary is second on 11.75 and no other regular starter has over 9 per.
    • 3rd in total votes over the season despite just starting those 7 games. Scowen is in second, just 8 total votes ahead (129-121) despite starting all 16 games and playing very well.

He really is Mustard.

• Is that Colonel Mustard?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    We could get really obscure and call him ‘The Colonel’

@micra see the above from Wednesday

• @Lloyd2084 said:

He was supposed to be the fastest man in football, huge disappointment when he arrived and failed to deliver

• Huge disappointment is a bit harsh. He had a pretty good understanding with De Souza and was damn near unplayable on his day.

• Funny how memories differ isn't it.

I think he gets roped in negatively because of the Smith management, but a few good performances aside I'd go closer to disappointment than "unplayable" for sure!

• @FlyingPostman said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

He was supposed to be the fastest man in football, huge disappointment when he arrived and failed to deliver

Came second class!

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Huge disappointment is a bit harsh. He had a pretty good understanding with De Souza and was damn near unplayable on his day.

I recall that he cost quite big money, which no doubt contributed to my disappointment! I don't recall him being unplayable where as I thought De Souza was definitely unplayable on his day

• Agreed, Williams was extremely average during his time for us.
    Had a truly awful first touch, I remember him getting the winner at Dean Court, but don't think the ball went where he intended it to.

• Maybe I remember him too fondly but that pace was exciting to watch, especially against the more agricultural centre backs.

Not one of the all time greats, but he has his own place in Wanderers folklore. Those first few years in the league were exciting times, perhaps my memories got mixed up a little along the way!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Agreed, Williams was extremely average during his time for us.
    Had a truly awful first touch, I remember him getting the winner at Dean Court, but don't think the ball went where he intended it to.

He was a Smith signing that we paid for us a lot of money for. Prior to his arrival there was a lot of hype about us getting the fastest striker in football but as you said his first touch was diabolical.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Agreed, Williams was extremely average during his time for us.

That was the 3-2 win in 95/96. At the time the first goal was also credited to Williams, although the video showed he never touched the ball. Alan Smith wasn't happy that the programme gave it as an own goal, he wanted it credited to Williams to boost his confidence. Mr Finch stood his ground and maintained integrity.

• Am I imagining John Williams scoring in the red shirt at Layer Road?

• @floyd said:
    Am I imagining John Williams scoring in the red shirt at Layer Road?

A massively offside goal on a cup tie in a game where a goal was scored whilst some goons were carrying a hoarding across the penalty area?

Might be imagining it too

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@floyd said:
    Am I imagining John Williams scoring in the red shirt at Layer Road?

A massively offside goal on a cup tie in a game where a goal was scored whilst some goons were carrying a hoarding across the penalty area?

Might be imagining it too

I do remember ColU scoring during a pitch invasion. That was my second ever away game I think.

• There was an underlying feeling of violence just waiting for a flashpoint that day. The offside goal well and truly lit the blue touch-paper

• Come on, Eric. You’re five days late with that one.

• I'm in line, he was a good 5 yards off. Lino massively out of position

• Thought that was going to be a really late comment on the Ipswich game!