Skip to content

Hartlepool could be without a Manager on Saturday

The Hartlepool Manager Challinor, has moved to Stockport, seems a strange move to drop down a league!
https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/2021/november/club-statement-dave-challinor/

Comments

• edited November 2021

Not strange at all without the amount of money washing around down there. Not long before the National League is stronger than League Two at this rate - no FFP, so it's a much more attractive proposition for anyone with money to invest in lower-league football.

• Now that’s a name that brings back memories. Doesn’t he have the record for longest ever throw-in?

• You may be right but I thought that was Bobby Woodruff ex Palace.

• Dave Challinor used to launch huge throws, not sure if it holds the record ?
    Which brings me onto which Wycombe player had the longest throw ? The longest i can remember was Paul Birdseye, anywhere in the oppositions half seemed to land in the penalty area.
    I can vaguely remember Tony Sorrell having a long throw in his solitary appearance for us.
    The ginger chap who played for us under Gaz, and who ended up at Finchley whose name I seem to forget, with the reputation for a huge throw, was slightly disappointing, it seemed to loop in the air, and take an age to come down.

• Richard Harris was signed purely on the back of his long throw

• I might have his name wrong as this is from when I was about nine years old, but wasn't there a guy called Steve Dell with quite a long throw?

• Marvin McCoy had a long throw.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I might have his name wrong as this is from when I was about nine years old, but wasn't there a guy called Steve Dell with quite a long throw?

Bald guy from Beaconsfield Sycob?

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I might have his name wrong as this is from when I was about nine years old, but wasn't there a guy called Steve Dell with quite a long throw?

Bald guy from Beaconsfield Sycob?

Apparently so! Found him: http://www.chairboys.co.uk/players/dell_steve.htm

• @ChasHarps said:
    Dave Challinor used to launch huge throws, not sure if it holds the record ?
    Which brings me onto which Wycombe player had the longest throw ? The longest i can remember was Paul Birdseye, anywhere in the oppositions half seemed to land in the penalty area.
    I can vaguely remember Tony Sorrell having a long throw in his solitary appearance for us.
    The ginger chap who played for us under Gaz, and who ended up at Finchley whose name I seem to forget, with the reputation for a huge throw, was slightly disappointing, it seemed to loop in the air, and take an age to come down.

Ryan Sellers?

• Ryan Sellers is the chap !!

• I remember Steve Dell failing to take a throw in correctly about three times against Sheffield Wednesday. The twilight of the Sanchez years were tough.

• Didn't Richard Harris score directly from a throw in? On his debut too if my minds not tricking me.

• I don’t think you can?

• I think the rule is that it has to possibly brush Peter Enckelman's stud to count.

• Not allowed…goal kick

• Duncan Ferguson was linked with the job and apparently went and looked around the training ground and that. Must of thought being Everton's number 2 for the rest of his life was a better option.

But to be even linked with him it makes you wonder what kind of money they have.

• In all honesty I don't have a confident feeling about our visit to Hartlepool. Concentrate on the league etc.

• it's kind of set up for a 'managerless minnows' cup upset story.

• I seem to remember John Granville could throw a football over half the length of the pitch - but I don't think ever saw him take a throw-in.

• @LeedsBlue Indeed. Particularly if the club approach it as glibly as some on here. We need to win. The last thing we need is another free Saturday.

• edited November 2021

You never need to win a cup game, but we will win.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    You never need to win a cup game, but we will win.

The head says yes the heart says no on this one. That being said with Portsmouth likely off might we use a few more first teamers than expected? I’d like to see Bayo start here if their defenders are league two average standard. He’d be a source of terror and confusion.

• A nice line up might be...Stockdale Grimmer Tafazzoli Stewart Jacobson Thompson Pendlebury, Wheeler, Kaikai, Horgan, Akinfenwa
    Subs: Pryzbek, Mccarthy, Gape, Parsons, Mehmeti, Vokes, (young cb whoever is available)

Giving Obita and Scowen a rest.
    Assuming the injury to debarr remains.

• You'd drop Hanlan completely?

• Sorry missed him off the rest list- he deserves it!

• Would hope Przybek gets a start

• @bigred87 said:
    Didn't Richard Harris score directly from a throw in? On his debut too if my minds not tricking me.

I remember him being an almost comedy cult hero.
    Expectations were so low around then, that the crowd were all screaming sign him up just because of a long throw.
    I remember one opposition manager saying something along the lines of him playing more with his arms than legs.

He did start one season in storming fashion though. A double against Wimbledon I think. Pre Mk branding potentially?

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    A nice line up might be...Stockdale Grimmer Tafazzoli Stewart Jacobson Thompson Pendlebury, Wheeler, Kaikai, Horgan, Akinfenwa
    Subs: Pryzbek, Mccarthy, Gape, Parsons, Mehmeti, Vokes, (young cb whoever is available)

One thing to remember is with the Checkatrade game on the Tuesday and very likely no league game for 2weeks after there's absolutely no reason to do much rotation at all.

• edited November 2021

@Malone said:

@YorkshireBlue said:
    A nice line up might be...Stockdale Grimmer Tafazzoli Stewart Jacobson Thompson Pendlebury, Wheeler, Kaikai, Horgan, Akinfenwa

One thing to remember is with the Checkatrade game on the Tuesday and very likely no league game for 2weeks after there's absolutely no reason to do much rotation at all.

Another thing to remember is that it's the FA Cup, and we want to win.