Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Sometimes you have to accept we are turned over. Ipswich did a job on us. The defence was stronger, the goalkeeper assertive, the wingers superior. They knew what was coming from Wycombe and adapted. When teams attack our back 3 with pace we flounder. They also had their own version of Vokes who put himself around and had the usually unflappable Stewart rattled.
    Secondly their fans were loud. Much louder than ours and hats off to them. I thought the valley end was pretty lame and was needed after their equaliser.
    Write it off. Onto the next one.

• edited November 2021

On the game, a few poor moments seriously cost us in a pretty even game.

Although we scored from one, JJs corners were way off yesterday compared to his usual high standards and that actually led to one of their goals ... The second?

The first goal was a lapse in defending with players waiting for each other to shut their midfield down, which led to a shot which took a lucky deflection on its way past Stocko... Who I suspect will be disappointed he didn't keep it out after getting such a good hand to it

The referee gifted them the breakaway for the third, shocking decision, but there's still no excuse to just stop- not without hacking down their player first at least to stop the danger.

The 4th we were going all out to get a goal and that happens sometimes. If that's 1-1 then Stocko isn't that far out gambling, and even if he was then he'd have smashed their midfielder and taken the sending off. It looked bad, but that's what happens sometimes at the end of games.

We had more than enough good crossing chances which we wasted to score enough to win yesterday, and a few other missed passes. That scramble cost us badly and their keeper made a crucial save. We score either of those and we're banging on the door for 25 minutes against an Ipswich side who looked ready to fold. While it was 3-1 the panic never really set in.

Wasn't particularly impressed with Ipswich and can't see them getting close to automatics, if we hadn't crocked their left back we would have slaughtered them- it was only when they were forced to play a centre back against Wheeler that they turned the tide- and Cook would never have made that sub out of choice.
    Lots of sideways passing but the only time they really looked dangerous was when they broke quickly from our or the refs mistakes.

• @aloysius said:
    I'm wondering if the problem is Hanlan being too good.

The shape we played at the start of the season, with two creative attackers behind a target man, suited us down to the ground. Then Hanlan bursts onto the scene, shows us his talent, and we change from a 3421 to a 3412 to accommodate him and Vokes.

I can certainly see the temptation of doing that when you have players of that quality but it means we have one fewer attacking midfielder who can drop back into the centre when play is against us, and leaves the formation a little top heavy and reliant on the full backs being on form and doing a lot of the assisting.

Tough decision for Gareth but I think he needs to choose which of Vokes and Hanlan to start, and then play Horgan and Kaikai/Wheeler/Mehmeti behind that striker while we wait for McCleary to recover.

Have to say I kind of agree with this, Horgan has been fantastic this season, only just behind McCleary for me, but now seems to be struggling for a start

• An interesting and very valid review @Username.

• Had forgotten Pompey is in the international break. Not sure how many internationals they have, but I'd imagine we'll play it if it's down to us?

• I havent checked yet but anyone know if Sunderland's defeat down to the shitty teams they have to play in this crappy league or just Luke O'Nien?

• The Pompey game will be off, Gareth said as much last night in his post match interview.

• @Username said:

@uptheblues said:

@Shev said:
    @uptheblues - good to see you take such delight in Wycombe losing.

How have I taken such delight geezer I was saying how it was atmosphere tonight appalling Ipswich sung there hearts out non stop think you need new specs geezer

One of the reasons the atmosphere is slightly down is because you've managed to get the useful drum banned due to your sheer selfishness.

Stop coming on here sniping after every game essentially gloating about how you've managed to damage the atmosphere, it's not a good look

How am I snipping I didn’t get drum banned you got it banned I’m not saying it you but minority got it banned things was working fine before the gillingham game so don’t give me that you hidden keyboard warrior there always gonna be ppl hiding behind that screen ??

• edited November 2021

@uptheblues said:

@Username said:

@uptheblues said:

@Shev said:

How have I taken such delight geezer I was saying how it was atmosphere tonight appalling Ipswich sung there hearts out non stop think you need new specs geezer

One of the reasons the atmosphere is slightly down is because you've managed to get the useful drum banned due to your sheer selfishness.

Stop coming on here sniping after every game essentially gloating about how you've managed to damage the atmosphere, it's not a good look

How am I snipping I didn’t get drum banned you got it banned I’m not saying it you but minority got it banned things was working fine before the gillingham game so don’t give me that you hidden keyboard warrior there always gonna be ppl hiding behind that screen ??

If you really want I'll give my name out, I have said similar things on other social media under my name to you. I stand by everything I put on here, having a username function on a forum doesn't= hiding

After almost every game you've come on here to have a dig about the support.

And don't kid yourself that the blanket drum ban was for any reason other than you. In no way was it your fault that you got outright abuse, but it is your fault that both drums were banned- at any point you could have taken a step back and not taken the drum along when it became apparent you were causing more harm than good- but you insisted on doing it until the club were forced to act because you put your own enjoyment of smashing the thing above the experience of the rest of the terrace- and now to rub people's noses in it you come on the wycombe forum to gloat.

Yes, the terrace does benefit from a drum to keep chants going at times, especially as we're used to having it for so long, but the drum we're missing is Paul's, not yours.

• @Username said:

@uptheblues said:

@Username said:

@uptheblues said:

@Shev said:

If you really want I'll give my name out, I have said similar things on other social media under my name to you. I stand by everything I put on here, having a username function on a forum doesn't= hiding

After almost every game you've come on here to have a dig about the support....

And don't kid yourself that the blanket drum ban was for any reason other than you. In no way was it your fault that you got outright abuse, but it is your fault that both drums were banned- at any point you could have taken a step back and not taken the drum along when it became apparent you were causing more harm than good- but you insisted on doing it until the club were forced to act because you put your own enjoyment of smashing the thing above the experience of the rest of the terrace- and now to rub people's noses in it you come on the wycombe forum to gloat.

Yes, the terrace does benefit from a drum to keep chants going at times- especially as we're used to having it for so long- but the drum we're missing is Paul's, not yours.

Well said, exactly this

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    Did you share the taxi with two other guys @Malone and get dropped off at the junction of Dashwood Avenue and Mill End Road ?

Near the Hour glass yep.
    The older fella didn't look like your pen pic, but was it a pal of yours? Although I thought I saw him head to the terrace but could be wrong.

I wasn’t there last night @Malone (and don’t expect to return anytime soon) but the even older (very small) guy who has been my car passenger for decades rang me after the game (home at 10.20) to tell me, inter alia, about sharing a taxi with two other guys. He’s remarkably nimble for a man approaching 90 but unlikely to have kept up with you on the last leg. He said the ref blew his whistle just as he took his seat in Block P of the upper tier, Frank Adams stand. After 80 years supporting the Wanderers, that’s the least a ref can do - wait for Ron to take his seat!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Had forgotten Pompey is in the international break. Not sure how many internationals they have, but I'd imagine we'll play it if it's down to us?

Two for certain including their first choice keeper (Bazunu) and key attacking player (Curtis). If they have one more in the squad from anywhere they will certainly call the game off even if we don't.

• Still disappointed after last night, but there's reasons to believe it's a one off. It's hard to believe we'll have too many games where so many key players won't perform. Out of the starting 11 only Taff, Hanlan and Scowen looked at their best after the first twenty minutes. I'm not sure if we scored and relaxed, or they scored and we never recovered. Or both.

It's also hard to believe there'll be too many games where GA misreads the situation going into half time. We were being overrun through the middle in the last 10-15 minutes of the first half, and we didn't seem to do anything to stop it during the break.

I worry about Dom Gape, he's nowhere near the player he was two years ago. Hopefully this is down to lack of match sharpness than a long term reaction to his injury, or just going off the boil. I don't know if he as pushing forward so much last night because he was told to, or due to an abundance of enthusiasm. But that seemed to leave Scowen exposed, which in turn left our back three exposed. See also, Jason McCarthy. I'd like to see Penders start against Hartlepool.

• It’s not a good idea to engage on here with Up the Blues. If anyone knows him they would know he has issues and I believe he gets a lot of stick on the fb page. He’s not a bad lad just has things to deal with that would be hard for most of us.

• @Username said:
    On the game, a few poor moments seriously cost us in a pretty even game.

Agree with pretty much all of this except when you say that Ipswich weren't impressive. Although we made it too easy for them to score 4, I thought there was little doubt that we'd lost to the best team we've played so far.
    Strong in defence, quick on the counter and mostly all comfortable in possession. While we might say the later is unproductive, if just going side to side, what it does do is deprive the opposition of the chance to build up any attacking play of there own.
    For me, it looked fairly obvious by half time that we needed to change formation to a back 4 just to be able to get an extra body in midfield. Gape & Scowen were just given too much work to do, especially so with Gape given the Bloomfield pressing role.

We all know that there are (according to their own fan base at least) 5/6 teams too good for league 1 and therefore so much better than us. Last night we came upon such a team who delivered and as a result we lost.

• I'm not having that Vokes "didn't look bothered".

Sorry, but that's beyond nonsense...

• @Twizz said:

Spot-on post for me @Twizz!

• A couple of mentions of Gape playing the Bloomfield role. I did wonder if “Blooms” had called for Dom to perform a tribute act after GA and Dobbo had firmly but fairly rejected his offer to play against his old club! No room for sentiment these days.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:
    Did you share the taxi with two other guys @Malone and get dropped off at the junction of Dashwood Avenue and Mill End Road ?

Near the Hour glass yep.
    The older fella didn't look like your pen pic, but was it a pal of yours? Although I thought I saw him head to the terrace but could be wrong.

I wasn’t there last night @Malone (and don’t expect to return anytime soon) but the even older (very small) guy who has been my car passenger for decades rang me after the game (home at 10.20) to tell me, inter alia, about sharing a taxi with two other guys. He’s remarkably nimble for a man approaching 90 but unlikely to have kept up with you on the last leg. He said the ref blew his whistle just as he took his seat in Block P of the upper tier, Frank Adams stand. After 80 years supporting the Wanderers, that’s the least a ref can do - wait for Ron to take his seat!

I suspect there were quite a few pairs and trios sharing taxis to be honest.
    I can't believe this guy was 90!!

• Nah, he’s only 87 or 88!

• edited November 2021

@uptheblues said:

@Username said:

@uptheblues said:

@Shev said:

Probably time to gently disappear and just go back to being a regular anonymous fan like the rest of us, I think now pal.

Turning up here seemingly jubilant every time we don't win is pretty woeful.
    Trying to blame it on the "atmosphere" is even more bizarre too, as we've won plenty since the drum was stopped.
    Not to mention absolutely baffling, as what about the games we didn't win when there was drumming? What happened there?

• Best to heed the wise words of @MBS I think @Malone.

• I don't think it's a complete overreaction to be annoyed by losing 4-1 at home, when at one point during the 90 minutes, you're actually on top of the league. Yes, the game can be taken as a stand alone result, but people are annoyed that we conceded 4 goals in front of 7000 people at Adams Park... that's not unjustified, that's a normal reaction.

I'll concede I thought Hanlan was woeful against Crewe, when he missed 2 one on ones, and fluffed more chances. But, he's been fantastic the last couple of games with a few brilliant turns and charges into the penalty area.

• @floyd said:
    Still disappointed after last night, but there's reasons to believe it's a one off. It's hard to believe we'll have too many games where so many key players won't perform. Out of the starting 11 only Taff, Hanlan and Scowen looked at their best after the first twenty minutes. I'm not sure if we scored and relaxed, or they scored and we never recovered. Or both.

It's also hard to believe there'll be too many games where GA misreads the situation going into half time. We were being overrun through the middle in the last 10-15 minutes of the first half, and we didn't seem to do anything to stop it during the break.

I worry about Dom Gape, he's nowhere near the player he was two years ago. Hopefully this is down to lack of match sharpness than a long term reaction to his injury, or just going off the boil. I don't know if he as pushing forward so much last night because he was told to, or due to an abundance of enthusiasm. But that seemed to leave Scowen exposed, which in turn left our back three exposed. See also, Jason McCarthy. I'd like to see Penders start against Hartlepool.

Scowen? Blimey, I thought he had his worst game in a Wycombe shirt. Funny how we can all see the same game differently.

• If anyone is a bit down, just go and have a look on the Sunderland forum and cheer yourself up. Meltdown as usual

• edited November 2021

I'll stick up for Sam Vokes too. Thought he was great when served in the first half but very well marshalled out of the game in the second.

A disappointing night but no need to get in too much of a state about.

In terms of 'the matchday experience':

Village Queues: if you're going to serve food and drink separately then the queues need to be a great deal shorter / quicker. I know someone will be along to say 'who eats at a football match' but I had a 2.5 hour drive to get there and didn't want my tea at 3.30pm, so 'sod off' in advance! Missed being able to have a chat with mates as we had to split up to join different queues, both of which were in excess of 20 minutes. Food from Will Shaw's giant BBQ was v good though and my pint of 22 Carat was excellent.

Turnstiles: A smooth operation - excellent.

Pitch and floodlights: Exceptional - as @eric_plant says, there can't be better anywhere else. Sitting up in the Woodlands, the ground looks mint.

Wifi: Again, absolute class. This is a bit niche but I actually had to make some changes to my work's website last night after being notified of a problem. I was able to do it at half time on my phone without issue. That's pretty amazing (thank you).

Woodlands tea bar: Two members of staff? Not very good at all. Also, the Fetch app was saying that the tea bar was opening at 1.30pm on Saturday. Still no dedicated queue for Fetch so this remains a total waste of time

Woodlands toilets: Any chance of a plumber? A dribble of cold water and an empty paper towel dispenser. Genuinely surprised with all the improvements that this basic offering has not been attended to.

Knobhead drivers: Still seething at the bloke parked under the away end who thought it was acceptable to block most of the exiting pedestrians from the Woodlands stand and start knocking his car into passers by. What is it about motorists who think this sort of thing is acceptable? Is it that he's paid his £30k for his oversized tank and thinks that makes him special? Funny to see his gammon-faced rage when people started banging on his windows and one of his passengers screaming without any irony 'don't touch the car'. Angered by touches to his precious chariot, he decided to do a 'big man' attempt to get out of his car but only succeeded in planting his car's door into a child's face. Hope the steward dealing with him took his number plate and he's banned from parking at AP.

• @arnos_grove the club owes you 2 carats!

• @FmG said:
    @arnos_grove the club owes you 2 carats!

I never seem to get that right!

• @eric_plant I don't think it was a game he'll tell hsi grandchilden about, but he was involved at least. The game seemed to pass by the rest of the midfield.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I'll stick up for Sam Vokes too. Thought he was great when served in the first half but very well marshalled out of the game in the second.

A disappointing night but no need to get in too much of a state about.

In terms of 'the matchday experience':

Village Queues: if you're going to serve food and drink separately then the queues need to be a great deal shorter / quicker. I know someone will be along to say 'who eats at a football match' but I had a 2.5 hour drive to get there and didn't want my tea at 3.30pm, so 'sod off' in advance! Missed being able to have a chat with mates as we had to split up to join different queues, both of which were in excess of 20 minutes. Food from Will Shaw's giant BBQ was v good though and my pint of 22 Carat was excellent.

Turnstiles: A smooth operation - excellent.

Pitch and floodlights: Exceptional - as @eric_plant says, there can't be better anywhere else. Sitting up in the Woodlands, the ground looks mint.

Wifi: Again, absolute class. This is a bit niche but I actually had to make some changes to my work's website last night after being notified of a problem. I was able to do it at half time on my phone without issue. That's pretty amazing (thank you).

Woodlands tea bar: Two members of staff? Not very good at all. Also, the Fetch app was saying that the tea bar was opening at 1.30pm on Saturday. Still no dedicated queue for Fetch so this remains a total waste of time

Woodlands toilets: Any chance of a plumber? A dribble of cold water and an empty paper towel dispenser. Genuinely surprised with all the improvements that this basic offering has not been attended to.

Knobhead drivers: Still seething at the bloke parked under the away end who thought it was acceptable to block most of the exiting pedestrians from the Woodlands stand and start knocking his car into passers by. What is it about motorists who think this sort of thing is acceptable? Is it that he's paid his £30k for his oversized tank and thinks that makes him special? Funny to see his gammon-faced rage when people started banging on his windows and one of his passengers screaming without any irony 'don't touch the car'. Angered by touches to his precious chariot, he decided to do a 'big man' attempt to get out of his car but only succeeded in planting his car's door into a child's face. Hope the steward dealing with him took his number plate and he's banned from parking at AP.

Ppl constantly moaning bout everything god is there anything you don’t moan bout