Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Ipswich

13468911

Comments

  • Definitely one to chalk off to experience
    We need to refocus on the basics that stood us into good stead at the tail end of last season and the start of this one as today and Saturday our defending was lamentable.

    They were the better side and over the 90 minutes fully deserved the win, though the fourth didnt really reflect the balance of play.

  • November was always set up as a tough month. We can rotate against Hartlepool and be ready to go after that.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:

    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    And now we know where we are. Ipswich streets ahead of us. They tore apart our better players at will.

    One to forget

    One bad game doesn't suddenly mean we're not in the promotion mix.

    No, but that's the fourth time we've conceded more than 3 in a game. We're not going to be able to sustain that and get out of this division.

  • Sunderland lost by 5 the other day. Just a blip.

  • Poor from wycombe tonight should have played them earlier in season and two points dropped at the weekend looking a poor result 1 from 6 potential points. Maybe we needed that result sometimes can do you good.

  • Strange to see us play so poorly, stranger still given that th first twenty minutes were some of the best we’ve played since I don’t know when. What happened?

  • @Glenny said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:

    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    And now we know where we are. Ipswich streets ahead of us. They tore apart our better players at will.

    One to forget

    One bad game doesn't suddenly mean we're not in the promotion mix.

    No, but that's the fourth time we've conceded more than 3 in a game. We're not going to be able to sustain that and get out of this division.

    Is it? I make it the first.

  • Terrible performance. Taffazoli, Wheeler and Hanlan the exceptions. Central midfield non existent.

  • Genuinely wouldn't want to watch that every week. I have absolutely no idea what our tactics were in the second half. Players were constantly out of position, everyone hoofed the ball like it was a radioactive turd, and Stockdale must have been pissed.

    Ipswich looked a far, far better team than us. Men against boys.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:

    @Glenny said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:

    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    And now we know where we are. Ipswich streets ahead of us. They tore apart our better players at will.

    One to forget

    One bad game doesn't suddenly mean we're not in the promotion mix.

    No, but that's the fourth time we've conceded more than 3 in a game. We're not going to be able to sustain that and get out of this division.

    Is it? I make it the first.

    Sorry, meant 3 or more... Point stands.

  • Their keeper really good when called on tonight (dealt with majority of crosses and that save from Tools), Stocko not up to his normal excellent standards tonight unfortunately. But we go again

  • Agreed their keeper was outstanding.

  • @PJS said:
    Their keeper really good when called on tonight (dealt with majority of crosses and that save from Tools), Stocko not up to his normal excellent standards tonight unfortunately. But we go again

    I didn’t like their keeper lamping the ball into the terrace but that Stewart save was one of the best I’ve seen up close

  • We always seem to have a difficult second act after a happy montage of wins early in the season. It is just frustrating for Ipswich to show us how to thrash someone when we have passed up so many opportunities of our own.

  • Ipswich look like a team that will go up. Should have gone 442 much sooner. We needed bodies in midfield.

    Left back going off did them a favour.

  • Garath McCleary is a massive player for us, hope he's back soon. We aren't a top side without him.

  • In my opinion, that was Stocko’s worst game since West Ham. We’re lucky to have him and he has made some fantastic saves this season but for some reason, tonight I just didn’t feel that same feeling of confidence that normally radiates off of him.

    Jase is also struggling for form and his distribution wasn’t great either. It’s a shame Freeman is out currently as based on how he played during his brief spell at RWB, he would provide decent competition.

    We missed Thommo in the middle of the park tonight.

    The finish from Vokes was tidy again - shame the ball had gone out already.

    The alleged foul on Hanlon in the build up to their second highlighted something for Gaz to work on - we didn’t play to the whistle and we assumed the referee was going to stop play. We ended up being punished for it.

    Hanlon looked ragged at the end, he really did run his socks off. He will have a well earned rest on Saturday I would imagine. I’d like to see Tjay and Parsons getting starts.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:

    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    And now we know where we are. Ipswich streets ahead of us. They tore apart our better players at will.

    One to forget

    One bad game doesn't suddenly mean we're not in the promotion mix.

    No but if you want to benchmark yourself against better teams and players they were waaaaay better than us. Even with some poor individual performances.

  • The balance of the team just wasn’t right tonight. Great first 20 minutes where we harried and hassled them to such a degree they just couldn’t get out. But once that energy flagged (understandably) we were far too open, and just not compact enough. Scowen had an off day but possibly because Gape next to him was playing far too advanced without much discipline. Probably most likely too eager to impress and get forward but the team suffered.

    The wing backs were genuinely awful today. Neither can defend well against a good winger and McCarthy particularly continued his run of looking like he just cannot cross a ball. JJ at the back is looking very exposed and isolated with Obita outside of him against the stronger sides, especially without Thompson playing today to offer more protection. I think against better sides we may need to ditch 3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 and play a 4 with Grimmer at right back.

    But even then, the lads showed character and the goals were from 2 poor goalkeeping errors, a foul in the buildup but poor defending and a breakaway at the death. We played really poorly second half but still managed to knock on the door of an excellent side.

    We really miss McCleary (big surprise) - his quality and composure on the ball is just not something we have without him.

    Other random thoughts. Wheeler did well, but was anonymous second half as he was knackered (understandably as first full game) and was taken off far too late. Hanlan continues to be excellent.

    We look a play off side to me, good side but just not quite up to the top, top teams.

  • I just refuse to read anything into an isolated performance. Maybe highlighted a few things to work on, but it wasn't representative of our normal levels.

  • Biggest problem for me is how open our midfield looked without Horgan and McCleary dropping in. Playing Hanlan and Wheeler (until he wised up and slotted back after 35ish) meant we had Scowen and Gape, two battlers in there struggling to pass.

    Wingbacks also too isolated, leaving lone runs into poor channels, or bad cross attempts.

    Slightly worried at how open we've been with 5 man defence at times. 3 v Morecambe,

  • Ipswich were a far superior side . We seemed bereft of ideas in the second half. Clearly we missed McClearly. He is our most creative player. Loss of two points at Fleetwood and the way we lost today is disappointing but we are still in an excellent position.

  • Strange tonight didn’t feel like a 1-4 and Saturday certainly didn’t feel like a 3-3 but somehow we have shipped 7 in 2 and it could have been more - some of the defending for tonight’s goals took me back to the darker days at the beginning of last season. I think that might be something to work on

  • Bizarre... First 20mins we looked assured and the only team that was gonna win..... as its been said this one is on Gareth. No more to be said from me.

  • 'Shit happens' sums that up well, I think. We go again etc.

  • I can't be the only one who thought we didn't play too badly tonight?

    Bossed the first 25 minutes, but we were pegged back by an unlucky deflection from a potshot. The rest of the 1st half was poor, but we created plenty of chances in the second half and forced some great saves from their keeper, including one from Stewart which was one of the best I've ever seen live (if not the best). I'm still in disbelief that he saved it!

    And let's be honest, the third goal came after a blatant foul on Hanlan (he didn't get any decisions all game). The fourth when Stocko was out of goal doesn't happen in any other situation either. Ipswich looked a good side and took their chances really well, but 4-1 was hugely flattering. If that ended 2-2 no-one would bat an eyelid.

    It was just "one of those days" where all the little things you can't control went against us

  • @WanderingDays said:
    I can't be the only one who thought we didn't play too badly tonight?

    Bossed the first 25 minutes, but we were pegged back by an unlucky deflection from a potshot. The rest of the 1st half was poor, but we created plenty of chances in the second half and forced some great saves from their keeper, including one from Stewart which was one of the best I've ever seen live (if not the best). I'm still in disbelief that he saved it!

    And let's be honest, the third goal came after a blatant foul on Hanlan (he didn't get any decisions all game). The fourth when Stocko was out of goal doesn't happen in any other situation either. Ipswich looked a good side and took their chances really well, but 4-1 was hugely flattering. If that ended 2-2 no-one would bat an eyelid.

    It was just "one of those days" where all the little things you can't control went against us

    It certainly wasn't the war crime some are making out. But our lack of playing to the whistle - which seems to surface every now and then - was frustrating to say the least.

  • @Quarterman said:
    The balance of the team just wasn’t right tonight. Great first 20 minutes where we harried and hassled them to such a degree they just couldn’t get out. But once that energy flagged (understandably) we were far too open, and just not compact enough. Scowen had an off day but possibly because Gape next to him was playing far too advanced without much discipline. Probably most likely too eager to impress and get forward but the team suffered.

    The wing backs were genuinely awful today. Neither can defend well against a good winger and McCarthy particularly continued his run of looking like he just cannot cross a ball. JJ at the back is looking very exposed and isolated with Obita outside of him against the stronger sides, especially without Thompson playing today to offer more protection. I think against better sides we may need to ditch 3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 and play a 4 with Grimmer at right back.

    But even then, the lads showed character and the goals were from 2 poor goalkeeping errors, a foul in the buildup but poor defending and a breakaway at the death. We played really poorly second half but still managed to knock on the door of an excellent side.

    We really miss McCleary (big surprise) - his quality and composure on the ball is just not something we have without him.

    Other random thoughts. Wheeler did well, but was anonymous second half as he was knackered (understandably as first full game) and was taken off far too late. Hanlan continues to be excellent.

    We look a play off side to me, good side but just not quite up to the top, top teams.

    This is pretty much spot on I think

  • One cause for optimism is that despite Wigan, Plymouth, Ipswich and Rotherham all looking amazing right now, they will all hit poor patches (as Sunderland are and possibly us too) and have to play each other whether or not they are.

Sign In or Register to comment.