Skip to content

Sunderland

Great to see Sunderland through, ads a further game to an already tight fixture list, with them also still in the Papa John’s Trophy. Not to mention having already lost two games due to International weekends.

Should they get to the LC semi then they have two further games in January.

Keep winning those Cup games Sunderland

Comments

• Brilliant from 30 seconds

• Sounds like they had the lino from our Derby game.

• Tell me more about these cheesy chips for a quid.

• Yes, certainly made me smile. I will say however, that Newcastle have been very close the the sort of fall that Sunderland have had and their finances must make interesting reading. They now take the high ground having (probably) sold their soul for a bucket of Middle Eastern gold. I always keep half an eye on Newcastle having been born in (Rothbury) Northumberland!

• edited October 2021

This is interesting and surprised me a little from the Sunderland forum - it would appear that opinion is divided on whether their fans would rather win the League Cup or be promoted, and it looks like a slight majority for the Cup. They maybe quite enjoy the 'big fish' syndrome and could stand another season as a beached whale in League One.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/league-cup-win-or-promotion.1563178/

I really do wish them the best of luck in the draw tonight and hope they don't meet Manchester City (or Chelsea, or Liverpool) until at least the semi-final.

• Why couldn't they do both? Bradford got to the final and got promoted in the same year...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Why couldn't they do both? Bradford got to the final and got promoted in the same year...

Not in the rules. Football chat rooms exist only on either or scenario’s.

• First leg of semi final of League cup in w/c 03.01.22, 2nd leg in w/c 10.01.22.

Sunderland play Sheff Weds at home on Weds evening 29th Dec
    Fleetwood at home on Sat 1st Jan
    Wycombe away on Sat 8th Jan
    Accrington away on Sat 15th Jan

If at the time Sunderland are in with a chance of winning the League Cup Accrington will be well motivated for the game on 15th Jan.

• You can see the logic...I would take (the very unlikely) major Cup win every time. Only a win mind.

• @railwaysteve said:
    First leg of semi final of League cup in w/c 03.01.22, 2nd leg in w/c 10.01.22.

Sunderland play Sheff Weds at home on Weds evening 29th Dec
    Fleetwood at home on Sat 1st Jan
    Wycombe away on Sat 8th Jan
    Accrington away on Sat 15th Jan

If at the time Sunderland are in with a chance of winning the League Cup Accrington will be well motivated for the game on 15th Jan.

The home game with Sunderland is scheduled for the weekend of the FA Cup 3rd round. Given our lofty positions, there is a decent chance that at least one of us will still be involved in the FA Cup at that point.

• Win a major trophy (I know it is ‘only’ the League Cup) surely trumps getting promoted?!!?

• edited October 2021

@Glenactico said:
    Win a major trophy (I know it is ‘only’ the League Cup) surely trumps getting promoted?!!?

It's a tough one for me, given how many weakened sides are played in the LC. If we were promoted by actually winning L1, we would also get a trophy that symbolized overcoming 23 other clubs trying their absolute hardest, and get to look forward to at least a season of huge games in the Championship.

However, the LC is still technically a major trophy, and would also get us into Europe.

• If I was a Sunderland fan I'd want into the championship asap and targeting even higher while on the up but a trophy is a lot easier as well as a standalone success they haven't had in a long while. I can't see them getting to the point where they sacrifice league games, if anything it'll give them confidence to strengthen the squad in January.

• “they’ve got 41 players and no one knows”* so they aren’t going to win a cup, not even get to Wembley - unless it’s the League One playoffs!
    *other than Luke

• @StrongestTeam are you suggesting winning the LC/FACup is easier than promotion to champ?

• @LX1 said:
    @StrongestTeam are you suggesting winning the LC/FACup is easier than promotion to champ?

Could be from here, or at least they might see the glory and have a go, obviously they will be up against better players and teams but they have to be good / lucky for what 3 games now, not 30 odd.

• @LX1 said:
    @StrongestTeam are you suggesting winning the LC/FACup is easier than promotion to champ?

You need consistency and the fabled strength in depth to win any league. Cup runs are fewer games, perhaps more exciting for players and often involve an element of luck with the draw, and attitude of opposition.

• Sunderland are 66/1 to win the LC, 4/6 for promotion

• Fair to say McGeady lost his cool a bit for the red card today... I cannot WAIT for us to rattle the crap out of them when they come to our place in January.

• I’ll be happy just to beat them fair and square in our house.

• Looks like Sunderland are going through their bad run pre-Christmas so I also wish them plenty of cup distraction to make recovering their mojo trickier. It's a very strong league this term so to still be holding our own is great.