Skip to content

Ipswich Town (h) - Attendance Prediction Thread Match 16 - Tues 2nd Nov

Comments

• Boston United at home in the FA Cup in 1990, they gave out the attendance as 4954. The Valley Terrace was absolutely jam packed, probably one of the great gate fiddles of all time.

• Yeah, you couldn't move that night

• Apologies if it is glaringly obvious, but why would they downplay the attendance. Is it a Jimmy Carr/Gary Barlow/Mick Jagger style reason?

• For FA Cup games you have to share the gate receipts

Legend has it that back in the day it was common for teams to understate their attendance for this reason

Legend also has it that for that Boston game in particular a much larger crowd than the official 2,755 was at the first game away at Boston, and so if the attendance we announced for the replay seemed a bit (!) low then it may have been a tit for tat measure

But I couldn't possibly comment

• I’m going for 6178 with 1850 Ipswich fans.

• And back in the day two through the turnstile, cash to the guy on the door etc wasn’t unheard of.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    And back in the day two through the turnstile, cash to the guy on the door etc wasn’t unheard of.

Especially if he was wearing baggy trousers!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    And back in the day two through the turnstile, cash to the guy on the door etc wasn’t unheard of.

I'm lucky to manage to get through the turnstiles these days.

• 5950 with 1150 away fans

• @ChasHarps said:
    Boston United at home in the FA Cup in 1990, they gave out the attendance as 4954. The Valley Terrace was absolutely jam packed, probably one of the great gate fiddles of all time.

Still think that was fuller than Slough. I remember they kept closing turnstiles as the section was full. Got in the (now) away end on and I’ve never been as packed on a terrace in my life

• 6,476 with 1,795 Tractor Boys/Girls

• 6200 with 1700 Ipswich

• 6,798 with 1749 Ipswich.

• a40a40
    edited October 2021

6036 with 1736 Ipswich

• @eric_plant said:
    Yeah, that Norwich game was all ticket and so the attendance given should be accurate (except for ticket holders who for whatever reason did not turn up). The attendance given was 7,802 - over 500 more than the official attendance given for the Slough game.

Like you say, anyone who was at both games knows which game had a bigger crowd by far.

Mr Blobby wasn't on the Woodlands hill for the Slough game though.

• I’m going to go 6407 with 1850 Ipswich fans.

• 6,116 including 1,778 Tractor Folk

• 6,795 with1,789 away

• I failed to get in the Valley End at that Slough game. One point, the Hillbottom Road terrace was certainly not ‘rammed’ that night as claimed above - busy but still plenty of space.

Although disappointing, it did mean that I got a fantastic close-up view of Paul Hyde and Jason Cousins’ tag team assault on their forward who foolishly went in late on Hydey!

• 6099 with 1800 away.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    5950 with 1150 away fans

600 giving up trying to find a parking space and returning to Suffolk?

I’ll go 6250 including 1750 away fans.

• Confused why anyone is predicting anything other than 1800 Ipswich fans. Have I missed something? Their allocation is 1,800, they've sold it out. Can't be more, can't be less. Can it?

• Monday around 1:30pm:

Just 17 predictions in so far - welcome to @Glenactico - special game this one!
    Average for Total Crowd: 6419
    Average for Away Crowd 1699

Now for the possibiltiy of a short gasroom debate.

Ipswich have sold out and all so except two of the away crowd predictions are in the range 1700 - 1850.
    Mine is one of them, I went first. @Blue_since_1990 may have been misdirected by mine because the predicition is the only other one less than 1200

I don't want to set a precedent of allowing a revision in these circumstances, because it could make heaps of work in the future for all of our sell out games towards the end of the season. Plus we have previously taken a collective view along the lines of a predicition is a prediction and that's that.

So this is an early warning that unless the vote is for silence it is my intention that if myself and @Blue_since_1990 are anywhere near the right figure for the home crowd then those figures will be published and congratulations will be dished out.

My reconsidered view is that this will be a bumper attendance, tickets sold already on the terrace indicate that either the home crowd is going to exceed many of the Sat attendances so far or that we are going to have a lot of tractor friends scattered around the ground.

PS. @John Boy - I see you have made a prediction your figures will be added in shortly.

• Honestly @railwaysteve I think we all know and trust you well enough to be confident you will run your competition with integrity and the right intentions. Do what you feel is right. Whatever you do is OK with me.

• 6555 including 1844 tractor drivers.

• 6750 including 1795 tractors

• 6556 with 1789 away please

• Looks like some Ipswich fans have already decided it is the worst game of the season before they've even climbed off the bus! :smile:

• 6678 including 1789 Tractorfolk.

• 6785 with 1799 claiming the officials gave us everything...