Skip to content

Quick Quiz - Monday

What is the furthest North, South, East and West Wycombe have played a competitive match?

Comments

• Bit of random guess work and my geography isn't great...

North - Gateshead
    West - Plymouth
    South & East - Monza

• edited October 2021

I'd imagine South and East is the same, when we played Monza in the Anglo Italian Trophy? Unless there was another further South/East game in that one? Teramo, maybe?

• edited October 2021

As far as I can see - Plymouth is the furthest west - cant see a game against a cornish side or a far west welsh side. Perhaps surprisingly Plymouth is only just west of Swansea.

Gateshead not the winner for the north though. Neither Monza or Teramo win south or east

• Can I just clarify the rules... are you including a wider definition of "Wycombe" (as stated in the question) than the "Wycombe Wanderers FC" that we are immediately focusing our attention on?

(I'm thinking of examples such as Wishaw Wycombe, plus there's bound to be a team in Australia with the same name, etc etc).

Basically, is it a trick question?

• No just couldn't be bothered to write Wanderers! But question is WWFC (Wycombe not Wolves!). No tricks.

• Blyth Spartans for furthest North?

• I've got Blyth furthest north .

Little bit of me thinks we may have played Alnwick or Ashington but cant find any record so think I may have made that up.

• Is Ibiza (San Antonio) the furthest south? I know we played a tournament there in 2005, albeit a friendly one (but sort of competitive if you see what I mean)

• I thought of that one but decided not to count it as competitive. Ibiza is further south than the southernmost competitive game but not as far south as a Wycombe Wanderers side has played in a non-competitive match.

• Just to summarise where we are then.

As far as I can tell the westernmost competitive game is at Plymouth and the northernmost at Blyth.

As further information The Southernmost and Easternmost ground we have played at are one and the same but as it happens we have played two competitive games there.

For info we have played friendlies further south in Ibiza and even further south still.

• We have played in ?? and ?? In the past though not sure they were anything but friendlies?

• Why do have a feeling we played a game in North Africa once upon a time?

• edited October 2021

Cosenza, Italy - 1983?
    Also played Chelmsford City there?
    Gigi Peronace Cup.

• cosenza is as far south for a competitive game. Right down the bottom of Italy. 10000 people watched our penalty shout out win over Chelmsford which must have been odd.

We did play a couple of friendlies in Lisbon in the 80s.

• Although those Cosenza games were competitive in that a cup was up for grabs, I don't think they have been included as first team games in the stats, whereas Monza has. We have had a lot of friendly games with silverware at stake, notably the various hospital and charity cups.

There have been plenty of far flung friendlies, Gibraltar, Yugoslavia, Malta, Cyprus and Greece for example. Portugal has always been a popular destination. We also played at Ayr and Dumbarton in 2002.

Conversely, I wonder what are the farthest flung teams to have appeared here. I can think of the Uganda XI and Chicago Sting.

• Does anyone have any info on the games in Gibraltar?

• Not the furthest flung..but we once went to Avranches to find the game was miles away

• 29/05/71 drew 2-2 with Gibraltar FA XI, Pritchard and Hutchinson the scorers.

The following day we beat Combined Services (Gibraltar) 3-0, Gale, Delaney and Lailey the scorers.

• Adebayo Akinfenwa made his debut for us in France. Got sent off for defending his brothers. Hero

• @Steve_Peart This doesn’t compete distance wise (although it’s a tough old journey without flying), but it’s an early memory... I am sure we played Viking Stavanger of Norway in a friendly in the 70s...

• Yes @LeedsBlue, we beat Viking Stavanger 2-1 on 10/03/75, and lost 4-1 to Chicago Sting on 19/03/75. We also drew 0-0 with a Chelsea XI on 17/03/75.

A number of Scandinavian sides have played at Loakes Park, such as Djurgardens IF from Sweden, who we beat 2-1 the following season. We drew 2-2 with them in 77-78 as well. Another Norwegian team was FC Vard, who we beat 3-0 in 80-81. That season we lost 4-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps.

• Didn’t our youth team take part in a summer tournament in Norway in the late 90s? That must the furthest north a Wycombe Wanderers team has played a competitive game.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Although those Cosenza games were competitive in that a cup was up for grabs, I don't think they have been included as first team games in the stats, whereas Monza has. We have had a lot of friendly games with silverware at stake, notably the various hospital and charity cups.

There have been plenty of far flung friendlies, Gibraltar, Yugoslavia, Malta, Cyprus and Greece for example. Portugal has always been a popular destination. We also played at Ayr and Dumbarton in 2002.

Conversely, I wonder what are the farthest flung teams to have appeared here. I can think of the Uganda XI and Chicago Sting.

Also the Malawi national team in around 1978.

• Israel under 21's in the early 80's at Loakes Park.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Israel under 21's in the early 80's at Loakes Park.

I remember that one now you mention it. So many random friendliest. Wouldn’t it be good if those times returned once travel gets back to normal

• I sat behind Archie McPherson that day. I believe Scotland were playing Israel in a world Cup qualifying match in the next few days.