Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sancho is absolutely not useless, has just made the wrong move to a club in crisis.

I didn't mean to imply that Van de Beek was useless either - just bizarrely underused (well, barely used at all).

• @bookertease said:

@carrickblue said:

@bookertease said:
    Should we worry about Man U knocking at GAs door soon?

They need to sort their defence. They’ll be looking for an ex-utd defender with experience of managing in the PL. got to be better than who they had leading them today

For the avoidance of doubt I was joking!!

I know! Very funny seeing meltdown from Manu customers

• The record in that fixture is 7 1 in 1898, which looked on for a while

• 3 weeks later Newton Heath reversed that winning 5 2 at hom

• @Malone said:
    That tribute to Kashket was lovely though wasn't it...didn't read the thread at the game, so apologies if it was covered at length.

But really nice stuff that was.

What was the tribute? Walked in 5 minutes before kick off so missed it.

• @Rolo said:

@Malone said:
    That tribute to Kashket was lovely though wasn't it...didn't read the thread at the game, so apologies if it was covered at length.

Bayo was keeping Kashket busy with some jibber jabber, and then Ainsworth and a whole media team swept over, and took him over to the terrace for a big round of applause, and presented him with a shirt with his name on.

Almost enough to make the snidest gasroomer shed a tear at the class of it all.

• I’m playing catch-up on this thread. Going back to the goalkeeper chat, Taylor is head and shoulders the best ‘keeper we’ve had in my time watching.

He came to us after suffering a horrible injury at Derby, if I recall correctly. If not for that he’d have been playing at a higher level still.

He won player of the season 3 years running. It was Talia that finally displaced him after covering an injury. Taylor was at the end of his career and Flymo Frank had a number of excellent games, keeping his place.

Nikki Bull was a fantastic ‘keeper worth a mention. His sudden dip in form before that strange exit still baffles me now.

• @Malone said:

@Rolo said:

@Malone said:

Bayo was keeping Kashket busy with some jibber jabber, and then Ainsworth and a whole media team swept over, and took him over to the terrace for a big round of applause, and presented him with a shirt with his name on.

That sounds.... truly bizarre.

• @Rolo said:

@Malone said:

@Rolo said:

@Malone said:

That sounds.... truly bizarre.

Trust me, it was top class. Maybe i'm not describing it well enough!

• @BlueBoy said:
    I’m playing catch-up on this thread. Going back to the goalkeeper chat, Taylor is head and shoulders the best ‘keeper we’ve had in my time watching.

He came to us after suffering a horrible injury at Derby, if I recall correctly. If not for that he’d have been playing at a higher level still.

He won player of the season 3 years running. It was Talia that finally displaced him after covering an injury. Taylor was at the end of his career and Flymo Frank had a number of excellent games, keeping his place.

Nikki Bull was a fantastic ‘keeper worth a mention. His sudden dip in form before that strange exit still baffles me now.

I always remember Bull at being superb at pens, but conceding a hell of a lot of long rangers.

• @Malone said:

@Rolo said:

@Malone said:

If it wasn't for the fact that he came off the bench, could have scored and tried to get JJ booked, I'd be wondering if we'd just re-signed him!

• Another stat that strikes me as fairly remarkable. The only sides to have taken points off Wycombe this season are currently in 3rd to 7th place. Or, to put it the other way round, no side currently placed lower than 7th has taken points off us this season.

• It felt really good to hear an Ipswich fan on 606 yesterday evening saying that he was pleased they had started to put a little run together, but was worried that their next two matches were a real test - away to Plymouth on Saturday, followed by another tough game against Wycombe the following Tuesday. He said that how they came out of those games would tell them what they could realistically expect from this season.

I mean, to actually think that an Ipswich fan could be announcing to the nation, accurately and with no hint of irony, that his team had a really tough fixture away at Wycombe coming up. Imagine how hard that must be for a fan of the former English champions, FA Cup and UEFA Cup winners to admit...!!

• I have found the Ipswich fans more realistic than Sunderland on the whole - but then I guess their fall down the leagues wasn't as dramatic.

• So nice to hear this back at half time against Crewe, remember hearing it a Loakes Park when I was young. I’d equally like to hear the crowd get involved, as the Frank Adams Stand combined with the terrace could help generate a good atmosphere. Obviously need to change to ‘Wycombe / Chairboys’ ! But does sound good at West Brom and Chelsea

• Ipswich used to be a really well run back in the day under the Cobbolds (of Tolly Cobbold beers). Not sure what their situation is these days but I would be surprised if they are anything like as all over the place as Sunderland

• I think the next 6 or 7 league games could really shape our season too. Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Plymouth, Burton, Bolton and Sheff Wed (not in order). Some tough tests.

Hope McCleary is back sooner rather than later.

• What is jibber jabber?

• Oops wrong link

• Jibber jabber..someone flogging a rapist to manu

• @bigred87 said:
    The young lad from Fulham was a great keeper

You mean Ricardo Batista? Was definitely a diamond in the rough. Loved flying out of his box and doing some crazy things. Remember him clattering into Wayne Bridge in the first leg of our semi-final and also a bizarre one away at, I think Wrexham, where he smashed the ball in to the crowd during a break in play and got sent off.

• Batista’s last club was in Romania. I’m not sure if he’s still playing now.

His career never took off like many of us probably thought it would. Not helped by a two year doping ban. He was a great shot stopper but was one of those ‘keepers that thought he was an outfield player too often.

• Some rather odd nocturnal meanderings above.

More directly related to this thread (in the sense that the goalkeepers played key roles) I’m astonished to discover that Ricardo ‘the cat’ Batista played only 60 or so matches in his professional career, half of them with Wycombe on loan from Sporting Lisbon. We’ve had some interesting ‘keepers at the club, some of whom, in recent years, never set foot on the Adams Park pitch. Perhaps the most extraordinary (and recent) was the guy whose last appearance was an away game at Oxford.

• edited October 2021

@micra Big Yves Ma-Kalambay!

• @micra He was on loan to us from Fulham. They then sold him to Sporting, where he never made an appearance.

• Big Yves, international caps for two countries, now coaching at Chelsea, came on for three mins in the last League 2 fixture to secure a promo medal. Personal fitness coach, driver of exotic pimped German wheels. Big character in the training gym. Quite a career.
    But that game at Oxford he looked like he had never played before!

• Batista is still playing - now back in the second tier in Portugal with Casa Pia.
    Called up to Angola squad as recently as September but doesn't appear to have played.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Big Yves, international caps for two countries, now coaching at Chelsea, came on for three mins in the last League 2 fixture to secure a promo medal. Personal fitness coach, driver of exotic pimped German wheels. Big character in the training gym. Quite a career.
    But that game at Oxford he looked like he had never played before!

I think Stevenage, Oxford and Scunny when Allsop got sent off were his only league apps?