Skip to content

Quick quiz

There is a decent chance a certain Wycombe player could achieve a feat that hasn't been achieved in over 45 years, what is it ?

Comments

• When could they achieve this?

• It would have to be this season.

• Could be anything from anyone at any time?

• Is it score in every competition we've entered?

• Matt Bloomfield appearing in the quarters for 18 consecutive seasons?

Probably too simple of a guess but worth a go.

• Bayo scoring in his 40s?

• Not the answer I'm looking for.

• Scoring in his last ever game?

• A big clue
    This feat was achieved in 3 consecutive seasons, but since then, it has not been achieved in over 45 years.

• Was the previous feat also Wycombe or football in general?

• Okay, so the fact is would have to be this season means it is either Bayo related (as he is retiring) or something unique already initiated which can be completed by only one player, I would think.

• Score a 3rd tier league brace with 3 different teams in 3 different years? (Hanlan)

• @username123 said:
    Was the previous feat also Wycombe or football in general?

Wycombe related.

• Central defender reaching double figures (10 goals)?

• Score in FA Cup proper rounds - Jacobson 19/20 v Tranmere, 20/21 v Tottenham, 21/22 v Hartlepool?

If this is not the answer it’s still a bloody good stat that I expect @bluntphil to use in Ringing The Blues so I can claim it historically and as my statistical legacy ???

ie….. Catchpole - ‘So Joe, how does it feel to become the first Wycombe player to score in the FA Cup 3 yrs running / since becoming a football league side’

Jacobson - ‘Great, couldn’t have done it without the gasroom to be honest, love a Sunday night quiz for inspiration’.

• @Vital said:
    Central defender reaching double figures (10 goals)?

Well done Mr Vital, with only a 1/4 of the season gone and 4 goals to his name. There is a fair chance Ryan Tafizoli could reach double figures for league goals.
    This was last achieved in 71-72 by Big John Delaney who netted 15 league goals that season.
    He netted 13 league goals in 70-71 (19 in all comp) and 11 in 69-79.

• How close did Andy Kerr score when he played up front for a while? He seemed to score.every week!

• Andy Kerr got 6 lge goals in 92-93 + 3 in the trophy. He got 4 in 90-91 + 7 in other comps.
    The 3 games he played up front under Jim Kelnan was in 89-90, but he never scored in those games.

• Cheers Chas! Seems I've muddled my seasons up there a bit

• Nice one @ChasHarps

I like the “over 45 years” reference. Completely threw me off the scent as I was going back to 75/76 thinking about what was happening that year. But obviously correct use of language (and also nice to wallow in nostalgia)

• I knew if I stated it would be exactly 50 years from this season, then the anoraks would be quickly reaching for the 'Wanderers bible' and it would be highly likely the quiz would be short lived.

• Request for this to be a weekly Sunday evening thing @ChasHarps

• I will try, but trying to get original Wanderers quiz questions, that take a bit of working out, is not that easy.

• Did Tafa get awarded the goal v morecambe in the end? If so he's lucky as he didn't get a touch

• So far, I think Taffs has scored a header, a right foot shot, a deflection (not sure what body part) and one he did not even touch. Just a left footer for the full set!!!

• This is more enjoyable than Monday quiz night on BBC 2

• Another thought - what is the record for most goals scored in a season with no away goals? McLeary is 5-0.

• He scores when he wants (etc)

• Great spot @Shev

• @Shev said:
    So far, I think Taffs has scored a header, a right foot shot, a deflection (not sure what body part) and one he did not even touch. Just a left footer for the full set!!!

I think his first goal deflected off his stomach. I think a major difference in me and Taff is that his stomach redirects the ball into a net, my stomach would have ‘cushioned’ the ball down for someone else to shoot / clear!