Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Interesting stat in the extended highlights commentary. Wycombe are the only side in League 1 not to have dropped points from a winning position.

Those who complain about game management/time wasting would do well to remember that stat.

• We have class throughout -
    Stocko - Tafazolli- Stewart - JJ - Scowen - Tommo - McCleary - Obita - Sam Vokes - and the rest.
    Great bench with Grimmer, Gape, Horgan, Mehmeti, Kaikai and Wheeler.

Great squad and underpinned by a really good development squad.

About 3/4 seasons back we were focussed on making the 52 point mark to avoid the drop and now we are among the top four sides in a very strong League 1. Massive, massive progress.

• @Malone McCleary and Obita are ex-PL players!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @Malone McCleary and Obita are ex-PL players!

I had McCleary as one of our 3.
    But Obita didn't play in the premier league looking at his record - only championship.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    @Malone McCleary and Obita are ex-PL players!

I had McCleary as one of our 3.
    But Obita didn't play in the premier league looking at his record - only championship.

I'm gonna count it anyway, sounds better!

• Gape is technically ex-PL too!

• Oh, and McCarthy too - Southampton love giving out the solitary appearance to burnish the resume, evidently!

• @Shev said:
    Gape is technically ex-PL too!

And McCarthy - and both of them have actually played in the PL so have more claim than Obita.

• @MBS said:
    The two abiding memories of Talia is his ability to parry shots straight out to another attacking player and constantly shouting No Foul! to all his defenders as they made challenges in and around the box. I never rated him tbh.

He always seemed to get beaten with an angled shot across him.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Interesting stat in the extended highlights commentary. Wycombe are the only side in League 1 not to have dropped points from a winning position.

I wonder how much of a contribution to this is made by us not getting into the winning posistion until 30 seconds before the end?

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:

@MBS said:
    The two abiding memories of Talia is his ability to parry shots straight out to another attacking player and constantly shouting No Foul! to all his defenders as they made challenges in and around the box. I never rated him tbh.

He always seemed to get beaten with an angled shot across him.

You’re all wrong, apparently he never played for us as he “finally retired from The Beautiful Game in the late 90’s”. So they say.

https://www.opulentinvest.com/agent/frank-talia-bio/

• Seeing as we are reminiscing about ex-keepers, it’s great to see that Jamie Young is still playing. He’s 36 and he’s just signed a two year contract with Western United!

• Frank Talia was awful at kicking wasn't he? Always seemed to kick it into touch.

Have I remembered that right?

• The young lad from Fulham was a great keeper

• I don't really remember much about Heaton.

I do remember Andy Lonergan being exceptional, and the lad we got from Everton (?)....Iain Turner was it?

• @Brownie said:

@username123 said:
    Just watched back the match replay from the 79th minute on iFollow. The 2x Crewe commentators (particularly the Co host) giving it the old ‘they absolutely do not deserve that’ and ‘still playing in the 97th minute’. Truth is, even if the game was totally equal just after they equalised on 77 (I’d argue we just edged it on chances, at that point), we absolutely battered them for the final 16-18 mins of that game (save for Kashket’s right footed shot), and 100% deserved that win, without playing our best. I was very impressed by Crewe’s determination for the point, but that doesn’t mean you deserve a draw more than the opposition deserved to win. On the extra time played, we scored at 96.29, where 5mins MINIMUM was added. The ‘bootlaces’ incident was just over 25 seconds and McFadzean stoppage was 60 seconds, and the ball went out of play for at least 2 corners too. Well done blues, still can’t believe what a satisfying way to win that was!

Watching from 85 mins onwards with the Crewe commentators on makes the winner even more satisfying. The muted "goal" when the ball hits the back of the net is perfect.

Just did the same. How biased can you get? The referee clearly signaled he was stopping his watch when the Crewe player did up his shoelaces in injury time, and also for the injured Crewe player.

Commentators (seeing Bayo complain): "You gorra stop play there. You gorra."

Commentators (when Wycombe win, and the goal celebrations take up a further minute)" "The referee played seven and a half minutes for a five minute extra time there and was first off down the tunnel. He knows."

• Sieb Dykstra had the best hair

• Should we worry about Man U knocking at GAs door soon?

• @bookertease said:
    Should we worry about Man U knocking at GAs door soon?

They need to sort their defence. They’ll be looking for an ex-utd defender with experience of managing in the PL. got to be better than who they had leading them today

• @bookertease said:

Ainsworth off to Manu. Who do we want as newanager?

• @carrickblue said:

@bookertease said:

They need to sort their defence. They’ll be looking for an ex-utd defender with experience of managing in the PL. got to be better than who they had leading them today

For the avoidance of doubt I was joking!!

• So was I - with the exception of they need to sort their defence somehow. I don’t think changing manager at this point is their priority.

• edited October 2021

Having a manager who can organise a team would be a start. That and probably stop trying to press with players completely unsuited to it (although that was almost as hilarious to watch as the battering itself today). Oh, and they could do with a functioning midfield.

But other than that, they're doing just fine.

• No midfield. Bought Sancho and Van de Beek (any relation to Ivor?), both useless. No shape, no plan and no idea.

• Sancho is absolutely not useless, has just made the wrong move to a club in crisis.

• edited October 2021

I laugh at any rich PL team "struggling" - and any PL fans who use that word about their lot in life as supporters of that club.

• @eric_plant said:
    Frank Talia was awful at kicking wasn't he? Always seemed to kick it into touch.

Have I remembered that right?

There was one worse for that on loan under Tony Adams...Worgan i think it was. Literally ever kick went left into touch.

• That’s your opinion @ReturnToSenda but I am yet to see anything from him. Over priced and overrated .

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    That’s your opinion @ReturnToSenda but I am yet to see anything from him. Over priced and overrated .

Did you watch him for Dortmund? He's one of the best young players in the world.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    No midfield. Bought Sancho and Van de Beek (any relation to Ivor?), both useless. No shape, no plan and no idea.

Both useless.

Cracking opinion there fella :D