Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• Cucum cumcum bet...cu cover..cucumber

• Never scored. Then popped up when we were down from first leg. Fans spilling on the pitch. Fk the pl

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I hate the football term/word - "scenes". Almost as bad as "limbs".

No no no.

Scenes is superb. Though I preferred the prefix of "incredible".
    But the yoof insisted on reducing it to scenes.

But "limbs"? That's scary, weird and inexplicable. I don't likes it at all.

At all.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Mike Williamson?

What a shout! There's a chance I missed one as I'm going through old results manually and really quickly, but it looks like it was Williamson in a 2-1 home win v Dagenham & Redbridge in September 2008.

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Mike Williamson?

What a shout! There's a chance I missed one as I'm going through old results manually and really quickly, but it looks like it was Williamson in a 2-1 home win v Dagenham & Redbridge in September 2008.

Two almost identical headers if i recall correctly.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@arnos_grove said:
    A combo of dreadful finishing and some committed defending. Not sure how these are bottom.

Because you can make them part like the Red Sea. 3/3 big chances we've missed today ?

John Gorman agreed with me. I’ll take that. Although he was never one for studying the defensive arts…

• Just watched back the match replay from the 79th minute on iFollow. The 2x Crewe commentators (particularly the Co host) giving it the old ‘they absolutely do not deserve that’ and ‘still playing in the 97th minute’. Truth is, even if the game was totally equal just after they equalised on 77 (I’d argue we just edged it on chances, at that point), we absolutely battered them for the final 16-18 mins of that game (save for Kashket’s right footed shot), and 100% deserved that win, without playing our best. I was very impressed by Crewe’s determination for the point, but that doesn’t mean you deserve a draw more than the opposition deserved to win. On the extra time played, we scored at 96.29, where 5mins MINIMUM was added. The ‘bootlaces’ incident was just over 25 seconds and McFadzean stoppage was 60 seconds, and the ball went out of play for at least 2 corners too. Well done blues, still can’t believe what a satisfying way to win that was!

• What about the save form Stocko?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    What about the save form Stocko?

Which one?! The first one was great, but the second one was absolutely incredible.

• @username123 said:
    Just watched back the match replay from the 79th minute on iFollow. The 2x Crewe commentators (particularly the Co host) giving it the old ‘they absolutely do not deserve that’ and ‘still playing in the 97th minute’. Truth is, even if the game was totally equal just after they equalised on 77 (I’d argue we just edged it on chances, at that point), we absolutely battered them for the final 16-18 mins of that game (save for Kashket’s right footed shot), and 100% deserved that win, without playing our best. I was very impressed by Crewe’s determination for the point, but that doesn’t mean you deserve a draw more than the opposition deserved to win. On the extra time played, we scored at 96.29, where 5mins MINIMUM was added. The ‘bootlaces’ incident was just over 25 seconds and McFadzean stoppage was 60 seconds, and the ball went out of play for at least 2 corners too. Well done blues, still can’t believe what a satisfying way to win that was!

Watching from 85 mins onwards with the Crewe commentators on makes the winner even more satisfying. The muted "goal" when the ball hits the back of the net is perfect.

• Yes both really @ReturnToSenda. Amazing keeper.

• We are lucky to have him.

• edited October 2021

Best GK in the league and the best I've ever seen in 18 years of watching Wycombe - and it's not even close.

• edited October 2021

Without a doubt. It remains a mystery worthy of Agatha Christie why it took him so long to get in the side

• Consensus seems to be that Martin Taylor is the GOAT? I'm too young.

• Was having this very discussion on the terrace yesterday. It's a very tough call

You'd be happy with either though

• @eric_plant said:
    Without a doubt. It remains a mystery worthy of Agatha Christie why it took him so long to get in the side

Not to me @eric_plant Gareth displayed loyalty to Rocky (which you can argue showed strength or weakness) and Stocko did not do amazingly when he got in. Then he did and he stayed.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Mike Williamson?

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Mike Williamson?

Two almost identical headers if i recall correctly.

I think you do. And I if I recall they were the only two bits of quality on display that day...

• I think loyalty is a strength, but it's odd that you'd only do that with a goalkeeper

It's inconceivable that you'd being in a, let's say centre forward of the equivalent level to Stockdale but not pick him out of loyalty to the players you've already got

Maybe there was more to it than we know about. I'd love to know though

• The goalie chat is interesting and yes Stockdale is a major upgrade on Allsop. In the 28 years I’ve supported Wycombe the one keeper that stands head and shoulders above all others, including Hydey, is Martin Taylor.

• Taylor and Stockdale definitely the top 2, not a lot to choose between them

• edited October 2021

Number 1 in my early days of going was Frank Talia, which was, er, fun (although I'm not sure eight-year-old me would have known a whole lot about what was going on).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Number 1 in my early days of going was Frank Talia, which was, er, fun (although I'm not sure eight-year-old me would have known a whole lot about what was going on).

Ha ha...yes my daughter had a Frank Talia era goalie shirt.

• Flymo Frankie arguably had the best goalkeeping ability to toes ratio of any WWFC keeper

• @Wendoverman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Ha ha...yes my daughter had a Frank Talia era goalie shirt.

I seem to remember a silver one with black sleeves and a collar? Possibly a green one the same season too?

• We really need to treasure this team. Yes previous seasons/promotions have been amazing. But there is a real style, purpose and quality in this team. So much ability throughout the team. A real pleasure to watch and an unrivalled team spirit

• The two abiding memories of Talia is his ability to parry shots straight out to another attacking player and constantly shouting No Foul! to all his defenders as they made challenges in and around the box. I never rated him tbh.

• edited October 2021

The points Taylor gained for us arguably were the difference from being relegated to being 10 points better off and a comfortable mid table - was not uncommon that we would win and he got man of the match, you get the feeling in this team that Stockdale could be the difference in making the top 2 rather than playoffs etc. Either way, both terrific GK’s who played higher than the level we are at and extremely lucky to have had them play for Wycombe. They are equally as excellent in my book!

• Interesting stat in the extended highlights commentary. Wycombe are the only side in League 1 not to have dropped points from a winning position.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Taylor and Stockdale definitely the top 2, not a lot to choose between them

Definitely the top two permanent keepers we've had.
    I think in loans Tom Heaton would take some beating.

• edited October 2021

@username123 said:
    The points Taylor gained for us arguably were the difference from being relegated to being 10 points better off and a comfortable mid table - was not uncommon that we would win and he got man of the match, you get the feeling in this team that Stockdale could be the difference in making the top 2 rather than playoffs etc. Either way, both terrific GK’s who played higher than the level we are at and extremely lucky to have had them play for Wycombe. They are equally as excellent in my book!

We're blessed with the quality around the squad.

Ex premier league players in goal and up front, plus McCleary.
    The likes of Tafazolli and Obita with a lot of championship experience, and then everyone who was in the squad last season with a season of championship experience too.

2 years ago it felt like we were punching above our weight a bit. With this squad where we are feels right.