Skip to content

Man of the Match - Crewe

A bit of a weird performance, but we get the points in another thriller. Who gets your vote?

Poll not found

Comments

• I went for Obita. I thought he was impeccable all game, and crossed on his weak foot for the winner!

• I went for Taff...but Stocko pulled off a couple of great saves so a shame to lose the clean sheet.

• Hard to see beyond a 2 goal centre back who had a strong game in defence too.

• Went for Tafazolli - but Obita was very good today (and seems to be a bit undervalued generally on this site).

• @HomeGameRegular said:
      Went for Tafazolli - but Obita was very good today (and seems to be a bit undervalued generally on this site).

I think that's less and less true as the weeks go by after a quiet start.
      He's essential to this system.

• Went for Taffs but could have gone for Obita or Scowan

• @HomeGameRegular said:
      Went for Tafazolli - but Obita was very good today (and seems to be a bit undervalued generally on this site).

I think Jordan has become one of the first names on the team sheet…excellent work from him growing into that role

• I’ve picked Thompson albeit his game was cut short by the substitution. Everything he did whilst on was immaculately executed (apart from the completely unnecessary pirouette in the right back area that lost the ball). Technically the goalscorer of the first too.

Thought Hanlan worked hard and adds vital pace and persistence to our frontline but seriously lacks composure in front of goal.

• Agree about Obita...a bit unsung but his work with McLeary is outstanding.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@HomeGameRegular said:

I think Jordan has become one of the first names on the team sheet…excellent work from him growing into that role

I think you’re right, I don’t think he’s undervalued I just don’t think we’re used to having such a wealth of talent. Personally I think Mehmeti has the potential to be one of the best to put on the shirt but he’s really got to fight for a place at the moment

• edited October 2021

Mehmeti may be about to have his moment if McLeary is out for significant time. I would go with Anis and Horgs to start against Fleetwood currently (assuming GMac is indeed out).

• You'd leave out Hanlon?

Really?

• @Shev said:
      Mehmeti may be about to have his moment if McLeary is out for significant time. I would go with Anis and Horgs to start against Fleetwood currently (assuming GMac is indeed out).

Hanlan and Horgan

• I went for Taff but I think he needs to work on his goal celebration.

• edited October 2021

I went with Taff, he didn’t put a foot wrong all game. However, Thommo JJ and Hanlan were all magnificent. Obita has really grown on me and was really good today.

• edited October 2021

@eric_plant said:
      You'd leave out Hanlon?

Really?

Yes - playing Mehmeti and Horgan against Fleetwood would mean Hanlan on the bench. I thought he had his worst game for us today, and I would put in the two who are hungry for minutes, and then bring on a motivated Hanlan for whichever one is not clicking.

Horgan lost his spot after a great second half at Morecambe simply because of international duty. I think rotating out Hanlan for one game after a bad performance is not illogical. If McLeary is out for any significant time, all three of the other wide forwards are going to get playing time.

I should clarify that I think Hanlan has been brilliant overall, but if GMac is out, it is an opportunity to get Mehmeti involved in the rotation too, and it will take a deft hand.

• Each to their own, but I thought Hanlan was excellent today. He should definitely not be dropped next week

• @eric_plant said:
      Each to their own, but I thought Hanlan was excellent today. He should definitely not be dropped next week

Agreed I thought he was really good too! Perhaps should have done better with the 2x 1on 1’s but another day they go in.

• Sometimes I realise I may not be watching or hearing the same game as other folks.?

• I thought Hanlan was excellent too. He was nearly always making the exact right run for Vokes’ flick ons.

• It really is funny, and I get it. Some if it is how much weight we put on different aspects. For me, Hanlan missing those various chances meant he did not have his best game, but I also understand the argument that getting into position in the first place is half the battle. I certainly won't be upset to see him against Fleetwood, but I do want to see more Mehmeti if GMac is out, no matter what.

• Not only the above, but I thought Scowen was really off his normal high standards, yet he is currently 3rd in votes, ahead of Obita and Stewart, who I thought were both outstanding! It really is in the eye of the beholder sometimes, and evidently some will say I must have been punched in both (or should be)!!!

To follow up on Obita, I thought he was flawless - really dangerous in attack, and defended well. He is someone who really seems to get better every week, and he is also starting to get into more potential goalscoring positions - I could see him bagging one in the next 4-5 games. Wingback is a difficult position to garner MOTM votes from compared to any more central or attacking position - less likely to score, less likely to be the main reason for a clean sheet, less involved in midfield battles, etc. So for me, Obita standing out like he did is worthy of even more praise.

• edited October 2021

Hanlan played well today. He created a lot of those chances for himself too. He should have had a goal for his efforts though.

Josh wasn’t at his best by any means, a lot of wayward passing, but did the ‘messy’ stuff well as usual. Not sure I understand the 10% awarding him MOTM however.

• @Shev I went for the obvious "2 goal Taff", but your Obita shout is excellent. I think he's getting better and better in his role. His fitness at the end to see off their blond midfielder in a gut-busting sprint for the ball and then whip in a dangerous cross, speaks volumes - not just for him, but for the whole backroom fitness team.

• Scowen does so much good but seems to have one major error recently. The needless foul midweek on the edge of the box, and a really dangerous misplaced pass yesterday that gave Kashket his one opening.

However, he's been quality on the whole.

• And with McCleary most likely out there's no need at all to leave Hanlan out.
      Just bring Horgan back in.

• I was a bit naughty. Should have “ticked” ‘did not see’ (I didn’t) but @bluntphil mentioned a couple of superb saves by Stockdale, without which two points and the incredible 100% home record would have been lost.

• @eric_plant said:
      Each to their own, but I thought Hanlan was excellent today. He should definitely not be dropped next week

Hanlan did everything but finish today. Was in the right place, was strong, worked hard, just fluffed his lines at the wrong moments.
      The one on one in the second half came from nothing, he simply out muscled and our paced the defence - and then blazed over unfortunately

• All of the players are going to make errors at some point in the game, even McLeary was a bit sloppy with a pass or two yesterday. I thought Hanlan looked dangerous as did their defence who tended to crowd him when he got the ball. Vokes, Mcleary and Hanlon kept them very busy throughout, I thought and we got our reward. If not for some very resolute Crewe defending we could have had four or five and Curtis could have had a hat trick!

• @drcongo said:
      I thought Hanlan was excellent too. He was nearly always making the exact right run for Vokes’ flick ons.

This. First game it felt like Vokes’s hard work in the air was paying off more often than not