Skip to content

Position and Points

13 games in and I feel the league table is taking shape now so it’s time for a prediction. Please guess our final position, points tally, and the two automatic promotion teams. Closest come May wins a ‘to be disclosed’ prize.

My prediction:

4th, 82 points
Wigan and Sunderland

If I’m being hyper critical, I actually think we could do better than the above but I’m not sure if we are being as positive as we could be on occasions which may hold us back in the long run.

Comments

• 3rd, 92

Wigan, Sunderland

• 2nd, 87
    Sunderland champions

• 1st, 94

Wycombe, Wigan

Someone has to be the optimist!

• 2nd, 92 points. Wigan champions.

We've had on paper an extremely tough start and are still up there.

Lee Johnson teams always trip over in the second half of the season too

• Sunderland, Wigan
    5th, 80 pts

• Sunderland Sheffield Wednesday
    5th on 82 points (beating Rotherham in the biggest shithousery play off final ever)

• All this maths...I have prediction fatigue...

• @Username said:
    2nd, 92 points. Wigan champions.

I still have the belief we don’t win any games in the second half of seasons.

I’m sure the stats don’t back that up but I’m sure there have been noticeable seasons where we have gone on awful runs through jan and Feb.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Username said:
    2nd, 92 points. Wigan champions.

I still have the belief we don’t win any games in the second half of seasons.

I’m sure the stats don’t back that up but I’m sure there have been noticeable seasons where we have gone on awful runs through jan and Feb.

It's normally the Christmas period we have stinkers isn't it?
    Last time in league 1 coincided with us playing all the better teams and we had a poor run, leading to all rival fans giving it the we'd collapsed stuff.

Meanwhile Rotherham, who were surely never holding onto top 2 went up without a whisper of complaint.

• 89 points second - Wigan champs

• We've recently struggled over Xmas, but we've also recently had paper thin squads

• Christmas to March has often been our weak spot. If the club and its internal analysts have already jumped on the 'we don't do well away on a Tuesday night' thing and are trying to do something about it, our traditional seasonal dip will not have eluded them.

• 87 points second and as much as I hate to say this, Sunderland as champions.

• 1st. 126 pts

• Playoffs for certain, with an outside chance of autos, if as much stuff goes right, as stuff went wrong last year.

• 94 points Champions

• Wigan champions Sunderland autos.
    79 points 7th

• 60 points 14th
    (that is the height of optimism for me!)

Sunderland 1st, Ipswich 2nd

• Above Rotherham will do me?

• channeling Al the Pål for a moment: How many points do we need to avoid relegation?

• @our_frank said:
    channeling Al the Pål for a moment: How many points do we need to avoid relegation?

Well.....we're already just better than halfway to safety!

• 2nd with 86pts. Sunderland 1st place.

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@our_frank said:
    channeling Al the Pål for a moment: How many points do we need to avoid relegation?

Well.....we're already just better than halfway to safety!

Didn't answer the question did I? I think higher points this term so 52 points to avoid.

• 4th - 84 points

Rotherham, Sunderland,

• 3rd with 86 points.

1st - Sunderland
    2nd - Ipswich

• 4th 89points

1st Wigan
    2nd Sunderland

• 1st 88pts.
    1st Wycombe
    2nd Wigan

• I can't resist this and I have some time on my hands.

Our Christmas Fixtures don't look trivial:

Boxing Day - Cambridge Utd home
    Weds 29th - Ipswich away in the evening
    Sat 1st Jan - Charlton away
    Sat 8th Jan - Sunderland home
    Sat 15th - Oxford home

However 10 points from that lot to maintain two points a game doesn't look impossible.

Looking at the other two periods when games can turn unusual - our run in looks as though it could be kind and Easter is late and so falls within the run in:

Burton away - Sat 30th April (last game) and then working backwards.
    Sheff Wed home - Sat 23rd April
    Wombles Plough Lane - Easter Mon - 18th April
    Plymouth home - Good Friday - 15th April

and the two Saturdays before that are Gillingham away and Doncaster at home again working backwards.

Games in hand might be particularly pressured to fit in this season with Easter being where it is.

So all the above considered, I am going to tip us to contiue to perform as well in the middle third and the final third as we have done in the first third and then tip in a little optimism as well:

Wycombe - Champions 92 points
    Plymouth - Promoted automatically

• Love your optimism but can’t go along with your predictions! Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

• 55 points is the standard target.