Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• edited October 2021

Vokes as usual won everything but not many runners on to his flicks today.

Great defensive performance and good point. Two sides that will finish top 6 going at it.

• Easy to write that off as an awful game, but I don't think it was at all. That looked like 2 very good sides to me, but both were stifled by excellent defending. There was no lack of attacking talent on either team, but neither side could find a way through.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Immense defensive performance and nice bit of pressure at the end.

Anyone who claims Vokes wasn’t at the races couldn’t have been there. Three blokes pulling his shirt all game long and still won a lot - just couldn’t get anyone near enough to him.

A very good point.

Thought Vokes wasn't very good tbh.

• @micra said:
    Nobody receiving the ball out of defence seemed prepared/able to put their foot on it. It was like a hot potato. I suppose it’s not easy when the opposition are so physical and ‘up and at ‘em’ . But a tremendous defensive display whilst under siege for most of the last 20 minutes - although we were right back in it for seven or eight minutes at the death. A very valuable point.

Agree @Malone - Thompson was well over the touchline for those last two throws. Beaney would have been proud.

I thought he had part of both boots on part of the white line

• Thought vokes did very well with at least 3 players on him, balls pinged to him from 20 yards away and no many runners knowing where to go.

• I may have called it wrong. I often think goalkeepers must think that they’re entitled to carry the ball into the segment in front of the penalty area.

• not a pretty game, but an excellent, gutsy performance.

• I think it was Eric Plant who said that it’s performances like that which help you to win you promotion and I agree. We put on a great defensive display against a team that has been scoring plenty of goals recently and they will win most of their home games this season. We are averaging two points per game, we have the third best home record in League One and the third best away record. Brilliant start to the season.

• Yep that’ll do. Tough game and never ever undervalue a point when playing away from home.

As others have said we’ve played 8 away from home - mainly against top half teams - and only 5 at home and we’re in third place.

Lots to be optimistic about tonight.

Well done lads.

• I thought it would be a draw...but expected goals. Its a shame we continually stop these silky sides from playing their usual flowing football. Why does the ref let us get away with it?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I think it was Eric Plant who said that it’s performances like that which help you to win you promotion and I agree. We put on a great defensive display against a team that has been scoring plenty of goals recently and they will win most of their home games this season. We are averaging two points per game, we have the third best home record in League One and the third best away record. Brilliant start to the season.

We might even finish third then!?

• Rotherham fans appear to be having an epic breakdown even compared to the usual sour grapes on twitter. Imagine if we'd won

• @floyd said:
    Extraordinary scenes at Plymouth tonight

How on earth did that not get abandoned?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Rotherham fans appear to be having an epic breakdown even compared to the usual sour grapes on twitter. Imagine if we'd won

They shithouse almost as much as us as well! Not like they play like Barcelona

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    4 points is a decent return on two long away games.

Have to agree with you there! Wasn’t pretty tonight, but I don’t think it was ever likely to be, happy with the point and a clean sheet against a promotion rival also in good form

• Back to Plymouth. That’s just outrageous...!

What are the locals saying, @DevC?

• So long as it stays at 102m15sec out of our net each week I’m happy ?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Back to Plymouth. That’s just outrageous...!

What are the locals saying, @DevC?

Ooh Aar . Where’s my canoe, my loverrrr….

No idea mate. Pissing down outside

To be fair I believe pitch was absolutely fine until last 5-10 minutes and only unplayable for injury time with home team 2-0 up. Would have been harsh to abandon - bet Bolton manager is saying should have been though.

• So it must be over 300 mins since we last conceded... Every chance of pushing up to (and beyond) the 400 min mark too.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    So it must be over 300 mins since we last conceded... Every chance of pushing up to (and beyond) the 400 min mark too.

Almost - 280

• @DevC ah, if it was right at the end that would make sense. Utterly ridiculous goal, though.

• @ReturnToSenda I was including time added on. But I suppose that would be considered statistical shithousery...

• Two very strong sides physically. We defended magnificently and I don’t think Rotherham had a clear cut chance throughout the game and Stockdale did not have a save to make that wasn’t completely routine.

First half we put together some great counter attacks but lacked the final pass. 2nd half I think we looked tired and couldn’t get into the game in an attacking sense. Horgan looked a bit rusty and McCleary a little jaded, with Vokes quite isolated.

Gape I thought had an excellent match for one of his first full games back, and Tafazolli was especially brilliant at the back.

A very good point away at a side very likely to be in the top 6. Will be an excellent point if we can back it up with a home win on Saturday (despite the obligatory Kashket goal).

8 away games played out of 13, 6 of which were against teams in top 8. The only top 8 team we haven’t played away is Plymouth who have had an excellent start but have not had the fixtures we’ve had.

Roll on Saturday!

• edited October 2021

@DJWYC14 said:
    Rotherham fans appear to be having an epic breakdown even compared to the usual sour grapes on twitter. Imagine if we'd won

It really is strange how precious other fans are. Away team wasting a little time in a close match? Outrageous! It's not like I celebrate what football has become, but the pearl-clutching must take a heavy dose of doublethink, considering how they play (and that goes for every club under the sun).

The funniest thing is seeing our (realistic) thread complimenting Rotherham on giving as good as they got in the gamesmanship, while their pious fans need smelling salts on their thread.

• Statistical management.....@LeedsBlue.

• edited October 2021

@LeedsBlue said:
    @ReturnToSenda I was including time added on. But I suppose that would be considered statistical shithousery...

Yeah, I realised that as soon as I wrote the post. Might actually be close to 350 in that case?!

• One of their fans has called our style of play "terrorist football"...

• Wasn't it the same time of year when we went six in a row without conceding in 2019-20? Our defenders love the gently falling leaves, evidently...