Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Want to rephrase that?

• I don't think you have to be a horrible person to stage a coup?

• Coup - a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

Not sure McCleary seems the type to stage one of these, even at a footy club instead of government ;)

• Exactly Malone, how was he going to seize power of Reading? Completely wrong word to use.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:
    As an aside, the big screen at Doncaster showed instant replays of the goals, shots, etc (well it did first half…) so we should be able to get ours up and running one day

*medium-sized screen. Ours is a big screen!

You get more inch per supporter at our ground than any other.

innuendo klaxon

• @glasshalffull said:
    Exactly Malone, how was he going to seize power of Reading? Completely wrong word to use.

Mutiny?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Exactly Malone, how was he going to seize power of Reading? Completely wrong word to use.

Mutiny?

Suggests he's refused to follow orders, which again doesn't paint him in the right light.

I think he was the wronged party here, so we need to concentrate on that side of things.

• I am just grateful that he plays for Wycombe Wanderers. What a player!!!!

• He looks like he could play for another 10years too

• I always take comments about our players from previous clubs and their fans with a quarry of salt. Exhibits A and B, Mr. Vokes and Mr. Scowen, who were the worst players their former clubs had ever seen darken their doors, allegedly.

• @Shev said:
    I always take comments about our players from previous clubs and their fans with a quarry of salt. Exhibits A and B, Mr. Vokes and Mr. Scowen, who were the worst players their former clubs had ever seen darken their doors, allegedly.

Especially when we see it in reverse too.

Donacien for example. One of the worst players we'd seen for us, yet looked good when he came back against us.

• Stocko doing Stocko things. I so hope he stays beyond this season.

• Suggesting that one of the best players in one of our best teams is only here because he was involved in a ‘coup,’ at his previous club is genuinely peak Gasroom.

• OK let's go with mutiny.

• https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/garath-mccleary-toxic-end-reading-21790594.amp

This is a very recent interview where Garath goes into a little more detail around his Reading exit.

• Good article that pretty much proves that words like coup and mutiny are inappropriate. Also corrects my mistake, it was Gomes who froze him out not Paunovic.

• Perhaps coup and mutiny were excessive, but it's hardly the first time someone has exaggerated on the Gasroom. The point stands, that I have it on good authority that he and Gunter had downed tools to the point they were dropped from the squad completely. I was merely suggesting that may have been a reason other sides weren't keen on signing him. A simple suggestion... not worth pages of overreaction I'd say.

• In the last two promotion seasons, if you look at matches played between the teams that finished in the top 8 (home and away) we were bottom or close to bottom of that mini-league. However, our results against the other 14 teams were generally better than those of the other top 8 sides. That was particularly true in the League 2 promotion season, when we only picked up 9 points against the other top 8 sides (in 14 games) but 75 points from the other 32 games (none of the other top 8 won more than 65).

• Good stats @bicester_blue but stats sometimes don’t tell the whole story.
    For instance we lost to MK Dons because the referee wrongly sent off our centre back. Maybe we would have got something out of that game after that terrible error. History will just show it as 1-0.

• If it wasn’t for that terrible error

• MK won't finish in the top 8 anyway

• "A simple suggestion... not worth pages of overreaction I'd say"

This is the gasroom remember

• We're winning and Bayo has scored...got to over react about something or what's the point?

• @Malone said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Great result and a great dayout. Alarm was set for 5.15am and still going now!

Thought we were comfortable and fully deserved the 3 points.

Great to see a young footy team out enjoying the day and cheering us on, think they were supporting Stocko and was good too see. Will even let them off with those annoying horns ha.

Even the stewards got in on the act and mixed with the fans.

Only downside was a few young kids/knobheads acting hard outside the ground. Hope everyone got home safely.

Roll on Tuesday

I think i've seen you mention before that you're based in Liverpool? Why such an early start?
    Unless I'm mixing you up with one of our other exiles!

Northern rail had a sale on recently, I booked a train from ormskirk to Preston leaving at 7.01am, Preston to Leeds, Leeds to Doncaster. Cost me £2 in total. Had a good day and even she enjoyed herself considering she's not really into football.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    MK won't finish in the top 8 anyway

Do you think? I think they'll be in 6/7/8 region. Wigan, Sunderland, ourselves, Rotherham will make up the top four if you had to ask me now - I don't know what order that would be though.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Perhaps coup and mutiny were excessive, but it's hardly the first time someone has exaggerated on the Gasroom. The point stands, that I have it on good authority that he and Gunter had downed tools to the point they were dropped from the squad completely. I was merely suggesting that may have been a reason other sides weren't keen on signing him. A simple suggestion... not worth pages of overreaction I'd say.

@prufrock_91 Maybe if you had suggested that some of the Reading players were revolting, it would have been better received.

• edited October 2021

@oxfordshirechairboy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    MK won't finish in the top 8 anyway

Do you think? I think they'll be in 6/7/8 region. Wigan, Sunderland, ourselves, Rotherham will make up the top four if you had to ask me now - I don't know what order that would be though.

I think I agree with that top four - then Plymouth, Sheff Wed, Burton and Oxford to round out the top eight imo. But there always seems to be one side who storm up the table in the second half of the season - could easily be Ipswich if they start seeing games out (although Paul Cook has basically said that's not his style).

• Actually, possibly Plymouth over Rotherham - not that it matters as I think both sides will be in the play-offs. If I had to put money on it, I'd say we'll finish 3rd but with 90+ points.

• @ReturnToSenda That's very interesting. I am always really interested in your analysis (and particularly enjoyed your tweet of a few weeks ago empirically proving that if we got a 20-goal-a-season striker, we'd be relegated ;-)).

But the common theme amongst pundits I've been listening to on the subject of the third division this season has been how extraordinarily tight it is and how anybody can beat anybody on a given day. If we, or anybody else, were to finish 3rd with 90 points, that would tend to debunk that theory and suggest that 3 teams at least were going to win very regularly and lose very rarely, pulling away from the rest. I think I'm also right in saying that it would be the first time in a good while that the third-placed team had got 90+ points.

Personally, I'm struggling a bit with the idea that we won't have a slump in form at some point in the season, given the way it usually goes. But given the strength of the squad, maybe I should revise that view and get used to the idea of Wanderers being relentless and just constantly finding a way to win, or if they can't win, finding a way to draw.

• edited October 2021

Sheffield United in 2011/12 are the only side since 1992 to finish on 90 points and not go up - haven't gone back further than that - so it would be unusual, but I think that's what it's going to take to keep pace with Sunderland and Wigan - and maybe even Plymouth ? - who just look relentless at the moment. But... Looooong old way to go yet.