Skip to content

FA Cup draw

Comments

• Hartlepool. Awful draw

• At least we should get through - better than an equally rubbish League One draw!

• Pah! When are we actually going to get a home draw, or at least an local away match? Love going to FA Cup games, but Hartlepool is too much of a trek sadly

• Hmm, long way to travel, little chance of it being televised and not on iFollow I don't think. At least its winnable if we properly go for it. Could have been a lot worse.

• edited October 2021

Might be the first time under Ainsworth we see a properly rotated starting 11 in the first round?

• I think, given how badly we've performed in the Pizza Cup with a heavily rotated line up he'll want to stick as much to tried and tested as possible, with a few opportunities for those knocking on the door.

• Just reading Hartlepool have the best home form in league 2 but worse away form..should win it if we take the tie seriously.

• @Malone said:
    Invite a whole crowd of fans for each club and force them all to look delighted, even when they've plucked out Barrow away on a Monday night game

Heck, I was only joking with Barrow...Hartlepool isn't much better!

• From a logistical/travel perspective we've had some awful cup draws this season.

• edited October 2021

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I think, given how badly we've performed in the Pizza Cup with a heavily rotated line up he'll want to stick as much to tried and tested as possible, with a few opportunities for those knocking on the door.

Bit limited at the back cause of all the injuries, but this side should quite comfortably beat a team in the division below:

Przybek

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Tafazolli

McCarthy
    Gape
    Wheeler
    Obita

Kaikai
    Mehmeti

Akinfenwa

We've got a great squad and I'm sure Gaz will use it, especially with such a massive run of games around that time.

• Ainsworth takes the FA Cup seriously, so I'd hope and expect to see a strong starting XI.

• @floyd said:
    From a logistical/travel perspective we've had some awful cup draws this season.

Stevenage the only good one and then they charged £24 a pop!

• Terrific draw. Will really separate the wheat from the chaff

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Ainsworth takes the FA Cup seriously, so I'd hope and expect to see a strong starting XI.

That is a strong starting XI!

• @DevC said:
    How would people feel about going back to Torquay? Reliving that great day or somehow diminishing it? How far we have come in such a short time.

?

• With all the fuel problems & other issues going on at the moment it screams out for a return to a regionalised Rounds 1 & 2 in the FA Cup. There won’t be 3,000 at Hartlepool & by the time you take Wycombe’s team coach costs off + the costs of staging the match, there will hardly be anything left to share between the clubs & FA.
    Pity poor Horsham! First time in Round One Proper since 2007 and they get Carlisle away. When you’re hoping for a special day out for the fans it’s almost an impossible tie except for the very, very dedicated.

• @A_Worboys I agree it's very harsh on the likes of Horsham but I seem to recall the reason the regional based draw was stopped was because there was a perceived imbalance between the number of non-league teams in one half of the draw compared to the other (more in the south perhaps), so EFL teams in that half of the draw were less likely to draw another EFL team. I don't know how true that might be but a national draw is obviously fairer if it is.

• It's not that often that we get a massive outlier geographically speaking is it?

Just hard luck this year - but it's someone different and at least not the dreaded same division tedium.

• Solvable by putting the Northernmost 24 league clubs and the northernmost 16 non league teams in one hat and the rest in another. Bit of an issue with 4th qual rd replays though.

This was an especially dull draw with lots of all non league ties and the non league/league ties mostly having league team at home and long distance. Bit of a meh round

• @A_Worboys said:

Pity poor Horsham! First time in Round One Proper since 2007 and they get Carlisle away. When you’re hoping for a special day out for the fans it’s almost an impossible tie except for the very, very dedicated.

Almost like getting into the football league for the first time in your 100 year history and getting Carlisle away first game.

• The trouble is that Horsham are a part-time team & not used to overnight stays etc. The regionalised draw was dropped nearly 30 years ago & things in the world have changed massively since then. It’s not fair to cripple the Non-League sides with huge expenses & small shared gate receipts. Horsham will probably take under 200 to Carlisle, which is a great pity.

• To be fair, Sudbury v Col U is an absolutely cracking tie

• Is a shame, but still I’m sure the players will enjoy playing at Carlisle, which has a history to the ground - top flight etc. About 10k prize money for winning the 4th rnd qualifier and 22k if they beat Carlisle, then with the opportunity to win 34k in rnd 2. Whoever they beat in their last qualifier would probably take that.

• The prospect of an @oilysailor poem causes greater butterflies than Christmas when I was 5

• @LX1 said:
    The prospect of an @oilysailor poem causes greater butterflies than Christmas when I was 5

In the fine tradition of Shakespeare's sonnets.

• I think we should crowdfund @DevC’s journey to Hartlepool and back... that draw is such a kick in the teeth for him.

• I'll be driving to this game, if anyone is around the North West or wants picking up on route just let us know.

• I was trying to find the format online for 2021 weekends.
    In previous seasons 8 games were played at 1400 on Sundays and covered by BBC.
    Then there were 4 live games - one friday, 2 sunday and one Monday.
    I've tried to search online (probably poorly).
    Do we know what the approach this season is with both ITV and BBC providing coverage?

• A very boring set of matches in the main. I totally agree with Andy Worboys regarding a return to regionalised round one and two. Not sure what the reason was for dispensing with this. This set of games Shows why in my opinion we should return to North / South.

• @A_Worboys said:
    With all the fuel problems & other issues going on at the moment it screams out for a return to a regionalised Rounds 1 & 2 in the FA Cup. There won’t be 3,000 at Hartlepool & by the time you take Wycombe’s team coach costs off + the costs of staging the match, there will hardly be anything left to share between the clubs & FA.