Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Routine wins over teams against whom we should record routine wins. I don’t know what reality this is but I like it.

• At the start of the 2018-19 season, when we had gone up from L2, we played Doncaster away (second game, I think) and lost 3-0. It was a "welcome to L1" moment.

How far we have come in three seasons to go up there and welcome them to Championship level football in L1!

• @floyd said:
    Routine wins over teams against whom we should record routine wins. I don’t know what reality this is but I like it.

Exactly!

Having to re-program myself not to say "this is exactly the sort of game Wycombe will lose"

I love it

• @Shev said:
    At the start of the 2018-19 season, when we had gone up from L2, we played Doncaster away (second game, I think) and lost 3-0. It was a "welcome to L1" moment.

How far we have come in three seasons to go up there and welcome them to Championship level football in L1!

Wasn’t it 3-1 with Bayo getting a consolation goal? Thought that’s what @bluntphil said.

• It was this one. https://www.skysports.com/football/doncaster-vs-wycombe/393112

Bayo did score in the 2-1 defeat which was our last game before the lockdown, but that was an equalizer. If we had won that game, we actually would have gone up automatically on PPG!

• Sorry, have I missed something? Following the comments it seems you were able to watch the game on ifollow?

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Sorry, have I missed something? Following the comments it seems you were able to watch the game on ifollow?

I think Shev is in the colonies and others may also 'live abroad' on some Saturdays.

• Overseas folk only, I think.

• I was listening to audio on iFollow this afternoon.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Sorry, have I missed something? Following the comments it seems you were able to watch the game on ifollow?

VPN

• Must be our most comfortable away win for years, we were levels above Doncaster. Reminiscent of some League 2 games in our stronger years where we were clearly the stronger side and never troubled.

Even last 20 mins when we sat in and let Doncaster have all the possession, they still didn't create anything or come close to threatening the goal.

• @Shev said:
    At the start of the 2018-19 season, when we had gone up from L2, we played Doncaster away (second game, I think) and lost 3-0. It was a "welcome to L1" moment.

I always remember that game, as one charmer in front of me was giving it full beans on the "That's why Wimbledon bombed Bayo out" routine, having seen Bayo mis control 1 ball a few mins in.

It's so satisfying seeing Bayo score today, 3 seasons on from that!!

• Just spent some time on the Doncaster forum https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0. Some of the most one-eyed stuff I’ve seen.

• Carbon copy of the Gillingham game last week. All over them from the off, 2 goals up and could've been more, without getting out of second - then we stayed in that same gear for the rest of the game, and were still never troubled.

Hope that helps to balance some of the nonsense coming out of South Yorkshire tonight about them being the better team throughout, blah blah blah... The two teams were divisions apart today.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Just spent some time on the Doncaster forum https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0. Some of the most one-eyed stuff I’ve seen.

But a very handy link to other clubs forums….

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@prufrock_91 said:

VPN

I think you mean you were watching from the Vipiénne region of France.

• Why do referees keep letting us get away with it? Why don't other teams, knowing what they are going to get, and then getting it, plan for it? I may be mistaken but the officials also seem to be giving us far less yellow cards than normal.

• @drcongo said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@prufrock_91 said:

VPN

I think you mean you were watching from the Vipiénne region of France.

Indeed. And I paid my 10€ to watch the game from there. Morally comfortable doing so, no losers, couldn’t make the game anyway.

• Do you need a credit card registered abroad to be able to do it?

Just out of curiosity, obviously

• I have no qualms about anyone watching from Vipiénne. Especially given that the geniuses at iFollow won’t let you watch from abroad if you’re on holiday.

• All very straightforward again. Donny weren’t that bad but couldn’t defend a cross and never really looked like getting back in it.

Great for Bayo to get a start and a goal. We’re going to need the whole squad to chip so it’s important players on the bench can step in and do the business.

Overall I still feel we’ve got more in the tank so to be second at this stage is extremely encouraging. Based on what we’ve seen so far I’d be very surprised if we don’t finish in the top 6.

• @eric_plant said:
    Do you need a credit card registered abroad to be able to do it?

Just out of curiosity, obviously

When I’m on holiday I use a different account to when I’m home. Also use PayPal

• @drcongo said:
    I have no qualms about anyone watching from Vipiénne. Especially given that the geniuses at iFollow won’t let you watch from abroad if you’re on holiday.

I watched from abroad when I was on holiday.

• Using my normal account and payment method.

• But back to the game, my only tiny complaint is that we looked a little toothless once Bayo went off.

• @Chris said:

@drcongo said:
    I have no qualms about anyone watching from Vipiénne. Especially given that the geniuses at iFollow won’t let you watch from abroad if you’re on holiday.

I watched from abroad when I was on holiday.

It might have changed, last time I tried I couldn’t watch a game that was actually being shown on iFollow in the UK. I was fuming. They took my money and everything.

• Great result and a great dayout. Alarm was set for 5.15am and still going now!

Thought we were comfortable and fully deserved the 3 points.

Great to see a young footy team out enjoying the day and cheering us on, think they were supporting Stocko and was good too see. Will even let them off with those annoying horns ha.

Even the stewards got in on the act and mixed with the fans.

Only downside was a few young kids/knobheads acting hard outside the ground. Hope everyone got home safely.

Roll on Tuesday

• It is amusing about those Donny fans thinking they were the better team when Stocko was on a tanning bed with a Pina colada for the second half. We were so comfortable that we basically invited them into our half, made a cup of tea while they sat on the couch, and had a nap without worrying that they would break anything.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Great result and a great dayout. Alarm was set for 5.15am and still going now!

Thought we were comfortable and fully deserved the 3 points.

Great to see a young footy team out enjoying the day and cheering us on, think they were supporting Stocko and was good too see. Will even let them off with those annoying horns ha.

Even the stewards got in on the act and mixed with the fans.

Only downside was a few young kids/knobheads acting hard outside the ground. Hope everyone got home safely.

Roll on Tuesday

I think I saw on Twitter that the team of lads were Stocko’s son’s team, so you’d be right there!

• The highlights on YouTube seem to of missed the first goal completely.... any links would be appreciated