Skip to content

Comments

• He’s gone from being one of those that many expected to leave to signing a new deal. Fair play to him for knuckling down and showing his worth.

• Really classy move by the club.

• That's brilliant news. Great that the club have continued to look after and show faith in him.

• This seems to be about doing the right thing by a player injured in our employment who it would appear is unlikely to play again under this contract and give him financial security while recovering and a chance next season to earn a contract for 2023/4.

It is a magnificent gesture that speaks volumes about the club and I am sure will be noted by Freeman himself, the rest of the players and prospective future signings. Well done all.

• Brilliant news and a lovely gesture by the club. I think we all saw enough in Nick before the injury to know he has loads to offer. Just wishing him the speediest of recoveries now.

• Don't you just love this club.

• Great deal all round. Injured with a year on his contract the ‘asset’ is worthless but a fixed cost. Now Nick gets to recover with security of contract and next season a fit Nick is a decent squad player in League 1 or a saleable asset if we go up.

• Great decision and I am sure a real boost for Freeman in the last year of a deal. Well deserved in my opinion.

• Cruciate? Just posted on the club twitter account. Really thrilled for Nick and if I was a player thinking about joining Wycombe in the future this would impress me hugely.

• Nick Freeman is an excellent player and I wish him a speedy recovery and hope we will see him again before the end of this season. Congratulations on your new contract Nick!!!

• Utter utter utter utter utter class. Great news, great player, great club!

• Rob Couhig has certainly gone up in my estimation in putting compassion ahead of monetary considerations.

• There are moments when you feel immensely proud to be a Wycombe fan and this is one of them. So pleased for Nick, excellent footballer and a lovely guy.

• Nowhere will ever be perfect, but WWFC is about as close as it gets these days. When I consider how I feel now before, during and after matchdays with the fag end of the Hayes era, it’s an extraordinary turnaround.

I stood outside the village after the Charlton game, watching the players heading to their cars, chatting to fans young and old, and it struck me that there are actually zero knobheads at the club, which is an extraordinary achievement that Gareth must take the greatest credit for.

I think it explains why I bristle with annoyance when people moan about him - it’s akin to someone taking a pop at my dad!

It’s wonderful that all we really have to complain about are pie prices and the availability of real ale and crisps.

• I'm absolutely delighted at this news.

• Great News. Fingers crossed Nick gets to play a part at the end of the season. Yes @arnos_grove it is hard (though some still try) to complain about the players we have and the togetherness that Gareth and Dobbo have created. There isn't a player I am not happy to have at the club...and in or out of the match day squad they know we all want them to shine!

• Can only say hear hear to all the above and join in wishing Nick a good recovery and hoping that he is able to play again this season. He was looking so impressive, especially in the game in which he was clattered.

• A few years ago, at the earlier end of Ainsworth's time here, we had a right back who decided to retire due to a bad knee injury. Regrettably I forget his name, but I remember being impressed that Gaz was insistent that we rehab him on our expense, as he'd done it serving us.

This is another great example of being more than just a results business football club.

A really big boost for Freeman, who had worked to get back in contention, only for a cruel injury blow to threaten his whole football future.

• edited October 2021

Brilliant news, well done to Nick and to Rob.

We really are lucky to be supporters of this club, especially under the current regime.

• Great news for all involved.

It’s things like this we need to remember as/when/if we have some tough times. Form is temporary, class is permanent. And this is a classy move by the club.

• @Malone said:
    A few years ago, at the earlier end of Ainsworth's time here, we had a right back who decided to retire due to a bad knee injury. Regrettably I forget his name, but I remember being impressed that Gaz was insistent that we rehab him on our expense, as he'd done it serving us.

Danny Foster?

• Classy move by a classy manager backed by a classy owner for a classy player at a classy club. Wish them all well. The best sort regardless of what every other club in the league seems to think.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Classy move by a classy manager backed by a classy owner for a classy player at a classy club. Wish them all well. The best sort regardless of what every other club in the league seems to think.

As everyone has already said on the other thread too - They're not wrong.

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:
    A few years ago, at the earlier end of Ainsworth's time here, we had a right back who decided to retire due to a bad knee injury. Regrettably I forget his name, but I remember being impressed that Gaz was insistent that we rehab him on our expense, as he'd done it serving us.

Danny Foster?

@Brownie said:

@Malone said:

Danny Foster?

That's the fella I think.
    Although wasn't the guy in Hearsay, the original popstars group before the x factor guff also called that?

• Best Wishes Nick. Well done to Wwfc a really good football club. Regards.

• Top class gesture. How nice to support a team with this much empathy and care.

• Compare
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/30/derby-sack-richard-keogh-car-crash-reduced-wages?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Keogh was not driving in the accident. The other players, including the driver, were kept on.

• And to think there was a time under John Gregory when we were told Derby were a proper football club who we’d do well to emulate.

• I have just read that Wycombe legend Len Worley was in tears when Gareth Ainsworth took time to call him after his recent heart attack. Yet more evidence of how fortunate we are to have someone who is not just a very good football manager but also a very good person.

• @HorspathBlue said:
    Compare
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/30/derby-sack-richard-keogh-car-crash-reduced-wages?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Keogh was not driving in the accident. The other players, including the driver, were kept on.

Wasn't Alex Samuel let go by Stevenage when injured too? Definitely shows a different class!