Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 I don't understand why or how they can appeal. Every club in the country has gone through the same experience and its only them (and potentially Reading) that can't manage their books and accounts?! I hope they double the penalty for just wasting their time!

• Not surprising because I thought it had become generally accepted that Derby are allowed to set their own punishment. No doubt this will now rumble on to the 22/23 season.

• Maybe we should appeal the result against MK Dons away after the wrongful sending off.

• Apparently Ashley wants to buy Derby

• Haven't they suffered enough?

• No not yet ?

• Look at those numbers, £10m on an Arsenal youth team player, only in 2019 whilst having no interest in paying their taxes, not that they actually paid for him either. No, I can't see how they've come to be in this state at all. Must be Covid. You'd have to imagine no other club is prepared to pay anywhere near that for him now or he would have gone already.

• And £4m in Sept 20 - in the midst of their Covid cash flow problems - that they owe to a Polish Club. That alone to me is enough to throw their “force majure” claim out before its even heard.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Apparently Ashley wants to buy Derby

Mike or Laura

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Apparently Ashley wants to buy Derby

Mike or Laura

Neither. From Corrie.

• I still don't get the high esteem their fans hold Rooney in. He does not have sh1t players, he has some exceptional players, he is still as far as I know being paid handsomely, he is very much part of the reason why they are in this position by being part of the circus that game to town with the promise of a place in the promised land.
    And for a club that is hanging by a thread it is astounding how the media around them links them to pretty much every top Premiership youngster that may become available. Why would you send your golden talent to be coached by a mediocre rookie coach at a failing club?

• Plus they already have a 3pt suspended for non payment of players, which was imposed prior to admin. If they fail to pay wages on time again that one should kick in too.

• And according BBC Sport Derby aren’t finished with flouting FFP

“ In addition to that deduction, the Rams' administrators are talking to the Football League about potential punishments for other financial breaches in future years.”

• They should extend that scheme to other walks of life too. "Yes m'lud, it's a fair cop and I would like you to also take into account 37 other instances of petty theft and a further 19 that I intend to commit next year.

• I'm sure 'Honest' Boris, would fully endorse that policy.

• @Ed_ said:
    They should extend that scheme to other walks of life too. "Yes m'lud, it's a fair cop and I would like you to also take into account 37 other instances of petty theft and a further 19 that I intend to commit next year.

I suspect that Derby are actually talking about further breaches of the rules between 2018 and now - a negotiated sanction is allowed under Rule 85. In fact that's how they arrived at the suspended 3pts deduction for non-payment of players.
    The same does exist in our legal system whereby a criminal receives a different sentence if they admit to crimes and avoids the cost of the court process.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I'm sure 'Honest' Boris, would fully endorse that policy.

Dearest EFL you wouldn't mind scrapping the disciplinary process would you?

• I want to commiserate with Derby, but the violin I intended to play is so small that I can't even find it.

• West Ham U21s had points docked for fielding an ineligible player, sending Col U through instead... Abolish this competition.

• Oops, wrong thread

• Imagine being soooo dodgy that you accept a 21 point deduction!

"ssssh, before they find out the other stuff"

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    West Ham U21s had points docked for fielding an ineligible player, sending Col U through instead... Abolish this competition.

I wonder if Col U will appeal on West Ham's behalf to have the points deduction recinded ?
    The sooner you can get out of this wretched competition the better.

• Earlier in the week the same local paper carrying the 21 point deduction story was saying that Phil Jones should be their top January target.
    I often hear that points deductions only punish the fans and that’s not fair but it does seem like the whole city of Derby is living in a world of delusion. They are not going to pay unsecured creditors and this will (as always) include small independent business who will be horribly impacted by bad debt yet their fan base cries out to sign a premium premiership defender. Wake up call required.

• A Premiership defender in the Football League would certainly be interesting. Permanently suspended, I should think.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I'm sure 'Honest' Boris, would fully endorse that policy.

I have no idea what the people who I sent out to defend this have said...but think what the British people are really interested in is how we are going to move forward from this...tighten the rules...as Heroditus once said to Napoleon: 'Buck up you long faced old frog stop moaning about the past' and then we should channel the power of Churchill...it's a bit like a Bond Film...blah blah blah...

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Earlier in the week the same local paper carrying the 21 point deduction story was saying that Phil Jones should be their top January target.
    I often hear that points deductions only punish the fans and that’s not fair but it does seem like the whole city of Derby is living in a world of delusion. They are not going to pay unsecured creditors and this will (as always) include small independent business who will be horribly impacted by bad debt yet their fan base cries out to sign a premium premiership defender. Wake up call required.

One DCFC fan I had a Twitter “discussion” with said that administration in August had come as a massive shock and no one was expecting it.

I was like, really? No one expected it? Even if it took until the start of august, when it was published that players were given contracts without payment terms, people should have taken that as a nudge. But even before then I thought it was pretty obvious things were heading that way.

She was also claiming that 130+ years of history should give them immunity to being wound up because “the actions of one bad owner shouldn’t dictate the future”.

Delusional.

• Demanding everyone (including the EFL and creditors) get out of the way quickly so that the next mug can buy them players is delusional.

As is thinking Phil Jones is a a premium premiership defender.