Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle that blew up a bit quick. A boo for unnecessary time wasting and suddenly we're getting too arrogant? :smiley:

• I guess the booing was probably more pantomime-y than anything

• A groan boo hybrid it seems...we were on the attack and I think it surprised a few at 2-0 up with only a minute or so to go.

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    Who's Orbita?

Obita's long ball-playing alter ago?

• Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Stockdale said he enjoyed the boos, as it showed a confidence that we could score more.

• We know what we are. We know what we are. Unduly arrogant in looking for a third goal late in the game. We know what we are.

• it was pure pantomime, Gaz himself said he thought it was funny. Complete non-issue

Also some spectacular misrepresentation of what happened at the end of the Southend play off game up above

• @Wendoverman said:

We know what we are. We know what we are. Unduly arrogant in looking for a third goal late in the game. We know what we are.

Get it on a banner!

• edited October 2021

To go off on a Southend tangent, it is feasible we could be four divisions above them by next season, a mere seven years after losing a final for them to climb a division above. Insane.

• @Shev said:
    To go off on a Southend tangent, it is feasible we could be four divisions above them by next season, a mere six years after losing a final for them to climb a division above. Insane.

Looks that way. Did anyone see their chairman swearing at a fan in a meeting the other day?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:
    To go off on a Southend tangent, it is feasible we could be four divisions above them by next season, a mere six years after losing a final for them to climb a division above. Insane.

Looks that way. Did anyone see their chairman swearing at a fan in a meeting the other day?

I suppose it's good news that they have retained a fan.

• The booing directed at Obita was very much tongue in cheek. There was such a feel good factor around the place on Saturday and, as Tom described it, I think it was definitely pantomime booing.

• That would definitely make sense.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle that blew up a bit quick. A boo for unnecessary time wasting and suddenly we're getting too arrogant? :smiley:

Plus the outrageous negativity to think if our left back who had the ball on the edge of their box loses it we'll concede!

• We do look very good and I really hoped we'd go on and give them a kicking but if that penalty had gone in or one of their big strikers had missed a whack on one of our defenders and accidentally hit the ball well in the direction of the goal at some point we could have had an unnecessarily nervy end again. Charlton was very similar in some ways and to not get six points from those two games would have been a real shame . They looked happy with the clean sheet and we know defenders and goalies are a bit odd, let them have their fun.

• TBH, I was much more disappointed with the fact we (the fans) booed Obita, than with Obita taking the ball to the corner flag. We'd already had several renditions of "Time wasting b******s" from the terrace by then.
    2-0 up and a couple of minutes from winning with a clean sheet; I don't think too many teams at our level would be over exerting themselves to try and score a third.

• David Stockdale mentioned the booing in his post match interview. His view was that it was somehow a healthy sign of our expectations and he quite liked it!

• @wingnut said:
    I had to go to Amersham Station yesterday to pick someone up as the Wycombe line wasn't operating. Gillingham fans were getting off the train and going across the road to the replacement bus service. Apparently, they had not been warned about having to travel via Amersham. As it is a regular occurrence perhaps visiting clubs should be warned if this is ongoing. The fans seemed quite cheerful about it. Bucks on a sunny day and an unexpected tour of the countryside thrown in.

Makes up for the replacement bus service going to Gillingham a couple of years ago. Problem is when everyone leaving the ground at the same time don't fit on one bus. On the other hand, had a long chat with some nice Gills fans.

• Just saw the Spanish commentary on the highlights - the commentator got very excited when Vokes had his header tipped over the bar! Well worth watching!

• @Wendoverman said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Shipstones…23p a pint

And you paid for it again much later in the evening I seem to recall!

Not the best to be sure. I think I started on Mild as it was cheaper than bitter. Does anyone still serve Mild?

• @Forest_Blue said:

Not the best to be sure. I think I started on Mild as it was cheaper than bitter. Does anyone still serve Mild?

Still popular in the Black Country, Banks and Bathams are just two breweries who still produce mild.

• Rebellion used to do a great Mild for the members evenings A few years ago they stopped (due brewing issues......allegedly!) about the time they sold their soul. I still like Rebellion but it's simply not the same as it was. Bit like the present Wycombe catering experience. it must be an age thing I guess. Sigh!

• I'm hoping Lambo will think we are extremely > @Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Shipstones…23p a pint

And you paid for it again much later in the evening I seem to recall!

My dad used to drink Shippo's Mild and Bitter. I dread to think what effect that had on the digestive system.

• God not sure what happened at the top there. An ancient draft (a bit like shipstones) revisited.

• @Twizz said:
    TBH, I was much more disappointed with the fact we (the fans) booed Obita, than with Obita taking the ball to the corner flag. We'd already had several renditions of "Time wasting b******s" from the terrace by then.
    2-0 up and a couple of minutes from winning with a clean sheet; I don't think too many teams at our level would be over exerting themselves to try and score a third.

I agree. I take issue though when there is a good chance to score and the lead is by 1 and we don't go for goal to finish the game off. Prime case in point being the Southend Play off final when we had a good chance to kill the game off, went to the corner (think it was Stevie Craig) and the conceed right at the death and bow out on pens.

• @Forest_Blue said:

West Berkshire Brewery do a very acceptable one. Maggs Magnificent Mild.
    The Bell at Aldworth (out Goring way) frequently serve it. If you're as senior as I am and ever want a trip back to your youth, I highly recommend you make a visit. It's like stepping back 50 years to how pubs were when we were drinking under age.
    As we're from Berkshire it's our first stop en-route to Oxford for the away game.

• In terms of goal difference, I've already accepted that if we are in a tight battle for promotion/play-offs in May, we will need one more point than the other team.

Keep winning games and we may be in a position to deliberately lose our last few games ten nil, arrogantly going up with a negative goal difference. That would really push some rival fans over the edge haha!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    With regards to Vokes half time last week is pretty much the pin point moment in his Wycombe career (to date) where things changed. At half time last week I was doubting why we signed him, he was ineffective, his body language was wrong, he was missing headers that a player of his calibre should be making against what to him should be inferior players. And then we put a left back up top with him, and subsequently Hanlon and it all clicks. He produces, he creates, he holds, he influences. You talk about fine margins and this one is literally having a player just a little closer to him and the man shines. Delighted for him as once again he comes from the 'had a crappy time recently' school of signings we seem to make every summer.

Spoke to a Burnley fan a few weeks ago and his view was that Vokes is most effective in a front two (I think it was with Chris Wood then?)

I’m not too bothered if it is a front two or not myself, but the key thing is someone has to run beyond the target man when the ball goes up to him. That’s what Obita gave us against Morecombe. Otherwise the threat of a flick on header isn’t credible and we’re much easier to defend.

Weirdly Blooms sometimes used to do this job from midfield and would be the one to run ahead of Bayo when we went long. Forces their defence deeper and makes space for others.