Skip to content

Man of the Match - Gillingham

Some great displays today!

Poll not found

Comments

• Vokes again. He's just vital to our whole threat - so I got ever so slightly terrified when he looked injured!

• Could be reading too much into it, but I’m sure Gareth likes to start players against former clubs. However, with Horgan out I think Hanlon would have started anyway. Thought he did really well, looked really confident, first league goal and generally was a complete nuisance. Although Thompson, Vokes, Taff and McCleary were great again, for MOM Hanlon. Oh, and great effort from the fans for atmosphere today ??

• Hanlan for me. Looks a great signing.

• Again several contenders, Hanlon and Vokes vying for it first half, but had to be Josh in the end, an imperious display. Need to see that pen award again.

• Went for Thompson but another hard decision

• Re: the penalty, it was definitely a foul. Very very close regarding inside or outside the area, I've a feeling it was just inside and the penalty decision was correct

Re: MOTM, I do wonder if we weren't so used to how good McCleary is he'd win it easily. That said, I've voted for Curtis Thompson, who was absolutely outstanding yet again

• I went Curtis. Thought he was superb today.

• I agree on the penalty. Looked inside all day on iFollow.

Another Curtis vote from me - imperious, and it really feels like that late goal last week has put a spring in his step. I feel he will score more this season. His willingness to have a pop led to the second goal, too.

Hanlan was fantastic, too - how was he languishing with Bristol Rovers? The fact we have him signed up for three years makes me positively giddy!

• McCleary for me. Possibly the best player I’ve ever seen in the quarters.

• @OxfordBlue said:
      McCleary for me. Possibly the best player I’ve ever seen in the quarters.

He's brilliant, but Eze was/is a class above anyone I've ever seen at Wycombe

• Anyone from Vokes, Thompson and Hanlan, with McCleary not far behind - although I haven't seen the goals again so maybe McCleary's strike was even better than I realised at the time.

• Mcleary and Obita are great together and we were attacking until the end. Really pleased.

• McCleary best since Dave (Jesus) Carroll and he was the best I have had the privilege to see in a Wycombe shirt!

• Hanlan was magnificent today. But shout out also to Anthony Stewart who turned into Cafu at points in that game.

• The more I see Hanlan, the bigger a presence he seems to be.

Tall, strong, pacy, can run with it, can get after longer balls. Great spot from Gareth.
      A 3 year deal is a huge show of faith at our level.

• I think McCleary is better this season than last season, he looks so fit and sharp. Probably our best player, give him the ball. But today, JJ for me as man of the match, crucial tackles and great corner and dead ball delivery. Playing in the back 3 suits him and as Stewart and Taff looked after the two tall Gillingham strikers today that freed him up on occasion and he popped up all over the field, including the right side.

• I voted for JJ. His defending was outstanding, he got forward when needed and his deliveries for the most part were on point. That goal line clearance when Stocko fumbled a shot was incredible.

• People often say about Eze the best to play for us... rubbish ! Was only here for a few months.. Stewart and JJ for me by a mile

• edited October 2021

@HolmerBlue said:
      People often say about Eze the best to play for us... rubbish ! Was only here for a few months.. Stewart and JJ for me by a mile

Yeah, but in terms of quality relative to the division and the rest of the team... He was absolutely head and shoulders above and, assuming he makes a good recovery from his injury, could go on to reach greater heights than any other former Wycombe player.

• Ok, that last part feels slightly like cheating as he was only on loan, but still...

• If loanees aren't allowed then it's got to be Guppy I think.

McCleary is up there though, definitely

• Looks like Hanlan will win his first Gasroom MOTM. Well done that man! Richly deserved (though I went with Curtis by a hair).

• Hanlan for me but I could have easily given it to McCleary or Vokes or JJ or Stewart. Obita was excellent as was Thompson.
      And while I’m here this is my quandary, I believe Memehti has the potential to be the best I’ve seen in a Wycombe shirt bar none and has to be in the starting eleven but there’s nobody I would possibly drop.
      Great problem to have though

• We’ve been quite cautious so far this season at the start of games but today we just went for it from the word go. The shackles were off.

Now we’ve done that once I’d like to see it again. Obita is much better on the front foot and I could see yesterday and 2nd half last week why he’s played so many games in the Championship.

Now the confidence is really there let’s try and put four, five or six past some opposition when we’re in the mood, make a real statement.

Hanlan has to start over Horgan, he terrified Gillingham yesterday and his work off the ball was immense. When he shuts down at that pace they make mistakes and also allowed McCleary and Vokes to keep that high line. He could be a real game changer.

I’ve been trying to work out if we were really that good or Gillingham were poor. All I can say is look at the difference one season in the Championship can make to the quality of your squad.

• @HolmerBlue said:
      People often say about Eze the best to play for us... rubbish ! Was only here for a few months.. Stewart and JJ for me by a mile

I think we're comparing apples and oranges. Eze is the best I've seen in terms of outright quality and skill. By a mile actually. Doesn't mean he contributed the most or made as much of an impression on the club as the likes of JJ and Stewart

• @Commoner said:
      We’ve been quite cautious so far this season at the start of games but today we just went for it from the word go. The shackles were off.

Now we’ve done that once I’d like to see it again. Obita is much better on the front foot and I could see yesterday and 2nd half last week why he’s played so many games in the Championship.

Now the confidence is really there let’s try and put four, five or six past some opposition when we’re in the mood, make a real statement.

Hanlan has to start over Horgan, he terrified Gillingham yesterday and his work off the ball was immense. When he shuts down at that pace they make mistakes and also allowed McCleary and Vokes to keep that high line. He could be a real game changer.

I’ve been trying to work out if we were really that good or Gillingham were poor. All I can say is look at the difference one season in the Championship can make to the quality of your squad.

Wrong thread! Did you vote?

• Well done Hanlan, there's got to be something very exciting about players with great pace and control, he can burst forward and if someone finds him with as pass he doesn't have to stop and hold it up or pass backwards, he seems to be able to get the ball on to the next man or beat a couple of players and see the options available to him. Early days but looks very promising and something we maybe only had occasionally when Fred was on the top of his game.

• Any thoughts as to whether the potential signing of Hanlan was linked to us releasing Kashket?

I was originally puzzled as I thought Scotty offered something we didn’t have - pace. I’ve not seen enough of Hanlan yet (wasn’t there yesterday) but does he bring that?

• @bookertease said:
      Any thoughts as to whether the potential signing of Hanlan was linked to us releasing Kashket?

I was originally puzzled as I thought Scotty offered something we didn’t have - pace. I’ve not seen enough of Hanlan yet (wasn’t there yesterday) but does he bring that?

Yes

• @bookertease said:
      Any thoughts as to whether the potential signing of Hanlan was linked to us releasing Kashket?

Hanlan offers far more than Scott on what we’ve seen so far. He’s very quick, but he’s also strong, skilful and intelligent. His pressing yesterday was excellent, a good finish for his goal (albeit one you’d hope he scores everytime) but I was most impressed with his hold up play. His body position and technique reminded me a little of Samuel in the way he held it up, but with pace and power and skill to dribble away from defenders afterwards. Looks like a top signing - as usual, GA and RD get it right again.