Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @bigred87 said:
    Ps good on Tom the drummer, he was up on the hill with his drum all game. Hopefully it won't be long before he's back inside.

I think it’s obviously been a tough week for him and can’t be easy being a discussion point across the fan base, but I can’t understand why you’d choose to watch the game from the hill and not just come into the ground.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Had never won seven home league games in a row in the EFL (or non-League, going by the club's tweet, but maybe someone knows otherwise?).

After a quick look through our results in the Conference, I believe we went on a run of 20 consecutive home league wins between 21st December 1991 and 24th October 1992. We may have had a better run during our Isthmian League days, I'll have to leave that bit of saddo statto work for another time.

• @jessvl1 said:

@bigred87 said:
    Ps good on Tom the drummer, he was up on the hill with his drum all game. Hopefully it won't be long before he's back inside.

I think it’s obviously been a tough week for him and can’t be easy being a discussion point across the fan base, but I can’t understand why you’d choose to watch the game from the hill and not just come into the ground.

Thank you but I decided to do it on my own mental health coz I know ppl will wind me up I get my self in lot of crap so I thought I stay up on hill but I won’t be coming back to Wycombe I am looking to move away from this club go somewhere that ppl will take me in Witt open arms

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Had never won seven home league games in a row in the EFL (or non-League, going by the club's tweet, but maybe someone knows otherwise?).

After a quick look through our results in the Conference, I believe we went on a run of 20 consecutive home league wins between 21st December 1991 and 24th October 1992. We may have had a better run during our Isthmian League days, I'll have to leave that bit of saddo statto work for another time.

Bloody hell! I had a quick look at the literal history book when I got in, but that's definitely a job for another day.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    It seem Premier League refereeing is a tiny smidgen better than our normal rubbish. Liked he talked to players but he seemed intent on a low paperwork evening and appeared to me to be phoning it in at times.

I agree. Refused to book a Gills player for kicking the ball away, didn’t give anything at all when one of their players had Vokes in a headlock. I was too far away from the pen to have an opinion.

• edited October 2021

He is one of the poorer Premier League refs, but I did think he let the game flow much better than the usual lot.

• Ok, I can see that Akinde is an awkward opponent and they also had a midfielder who wanted to run with it a bit in some good areas occasionally, but aside from that were Gillingham not complete and utter tripe today? (I think I just channelled my inner Graham Taylor...) 2 up in 7 mins, we never needed to get out of 2nd gear. Was that really a L1 game??

You know things are going well when at the top of posters’ gripe agendas sit burgers, beer queues and where coaches are parked.

• @uptheblues said:

@jessvl1 said:

@bigred87 said:

Thank you but I decided to do it on my own mental health coz I know ppl will wind me up I get my self in lot of crap so I thought I stay up on hill but I won’t be coming back to Wycombe I am looking to move away from this club go somewhere that ppl will take me in Witt open arms

Sorry to hear you feel that way - I do think without the drum though that there wouldn’t be any problems. We all have a shared love of Wycombe and I think it’d be a shame if the last few weeks meant that you didn’t feel you could come inside the ground anymore.

The people that give you abuse in person aren’t real fans of the club. The club would say exactly the same thing.

Just because the club have asked for instruments to not be taken in, doesn’t mean that they don’t want you inside.

• @jessvl1 said:

@uptheblues said:

@jessvl1 said:

@bigred87 said:

Sorry to hear you feel that way - I do think without the drum though that there wouldn’t be any problems. We all have a shared love of Wycombe and I think it’d be a shame if the last few weeks meant that you didn’t feel you could come inside the ground anymore.

The people that give you abuse in person aren’t real fans of the club. The club would say exactly the same thing.

Just because the club have asked for instruments to not be taken in, doesn’t mean that they don’t want you inside.

I won’t be coming back mate simple as that I have stuck to my word now I am not coming back can’t be in club filled with pricks

• The officials did okay apart from letting a gills player foul throw repeatedly

• @woodlands said:
    I tried the burger today and it was excellent. I liked the cheese a vast improvement on a cheese slice. It reminded me of the 3 cheese/mayo/onion fillings that are in sandwiches at supermarkets etc. The mest pattie was of the highest quality.

I suppose that’s a problem with catering, can’t please everyone at £8.50 a pop, I thought it was a bland, underseasoned Pattie with a huge dollop of inedible gloop on the top served in a cold bun. Two bites and in the bin. Won’t be falling for that again

• Yes and the steak pies on the Honours lounge went from £7.50 last week to £10.50 this week. I didn't see many takers. Where is the logic in that?

• @ChairboysBlue said:
    Yes and the steak pies on the Honours lounge went from £7.50 last week to £10.50 this week. I didn't see many takers. Where is the logic in that?

It went down to £6.50 last week, didn't it @ChairboysBlue? No business logic at all in the rise, I didn't buy this week in protest. On our table, Linda's benefitted as a result.

I pointed this out to Neil Peters when he came in, he was surprised at the price hike, so we will see what happens next match.

• @Doob said:
    Slight improvement on the beer front - I heard a rumour there was a small barrel of Roasted Nuts in the Vere, £5 a pint. A step in the right direction but still a long way from the match day experience of the past when the 'beer festival' operated.

I can confirm the 'Roasted Nuts' rumour as fact. And very nice it was too. And yes, it is a far cry from the beer festival of yesteryear.

• Linda's takings must be rocketing.

• @LordMandeville said:

@Doob said:
    Slight improvement on the beer front - I heard a rumour there was a small barrel of Roasted Nuts in the Vere, £5 a pint. A step in the right direction but still a long way from the match day experience of the past when the 'beer festival' operated.

I can confirm the 'Roasted Nuts' rumour as fact. And very nice it was too. And yes, it is a far cry from the beer festival of yesteryear.

But from small acorns (well nuts)…..

And a more positive note than the food debate

• edited October 2021

@MorrisItal_ said:
    The officials did okay apart from letting a gills player foul throw repeatedly

Find me a ref that actually does pull players up for foul throws. Just drop the law and be done with it.

• I had to go to Amersham Station yesterday to pick someone up as the Wycombe line wasn't operating. Gillingham fans were getting off the train and going across the road to the replacement bus service. Apparently, they had not been warned about having to travel via Amersham. As it is a regular occurrence perhaps visiting clubs should be warned if this is ongoing. The fans seemed quite cheerful about it. Bucks on a sunny day and an unexpected tour of the countryside thrown in.

• Good fans Gillingham, had a tough 25 years of other clubs running coaches with free weak lemon drink and crisps from their town.

• I was sat near the away end and the Gills fans were in good voice for much of the game. Baring a few Beavon type chants at Hanlan they were generally positive even chanting something like ‘support the team, not the regime’.

• @LordMandeville said:

@Doob said:

I am shocked to see people preferred the 'beer festival', which was essentially us buying heavily discounted kegs that were right on the edge of life, over the fantastic IPA. I've been crying out for Rebellion to be in the ground over the Greene King swill for the best part of a decade.

• The Roasted Nuts was decent. In to the bar to buy and back out to the sunshine. As for burgers the one I are from the BBQ outside was rather good, freshly cooked, assembled well and I like that Apple cheese stuff. So didn’t feel too hard done by. I think my friends’ burgers at half time in the FA are the same ingredients but the need to prep and serve across a short time window meant not so hot and less ‘content’.

Sad not to see other food vendors except the big sausage crew in the village though. Or if they were any I missed them.

• edited October 2021

Yeah, the jerk chicken van was great, hopefully they’ll be back

• Hopefully see them back soon

• (German?) Sausage Grill great too!

• Yes the German sausage grill is really good.

• I’ve tasted Wurst

• Better than the sugared ants ? at kiosk 6

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Yes the German sausage grill is really good.

Agreed. I had been hoping for a goat curry yesterday though.

• You must be kidding