Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• Had never noticed the horse's mane (?) spells out GILLS. Consider my mind fully blown.

• But why is the horse trying to break down the prison bars?

• @Twizz said:
    But why is the horse trying to break down the prison bars?

He isn't, he's bravely fighting off Newcastle's encroaching dominance of football.

• That's a very black and white interpretation, @MindlessDrugHoover

• Didn't a Newcastle fan once punch a horse?

• Hanlan in for Horgan and Grimmer in for McCarthy and the rest unchanged would be perfect. Although I suspect a few twists relating to knocks or rotation.

• @Blue_since_1990 Why Grimmer in for McCarthy? Not necessarily against it if we're not going to use McCarthy to supply crosses for Vokes.

• Agree with Hanlan, I'd stick with McCarthy

• That's actually quite a classy crest! The Gills mane is a nice touch

• I'd like to see Wheeler come in. Unlucky to find himself consistently on the bench and always seems to pop up and score at crucial moments.

• @ReturnToSenda, I agree that Jason gets in good quality crosses but in his last few appearances Grimmer’s crossing had improved and I just feel he is more solid defensively. Nothing between them though really.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @ReturnToSenda, I agree that Jason gets in good quality crosses but in his last few appearances Grimmer’s crossing had improved and I just feel he is more solid defensively. Nothing between them though really.

In fairness, McCarthy's crossing is also very erratic - although he's much more offensive-minded and suits the role better overall.

• Only four games in League One this weekend. Can't be long before they have default international breaks.

• Can we watch the game live on ifollow?

• @robin said:
    Can we watch the game live on ifollow?

Only abroad legally, or if you mess about with a vpn in this country.

• If we're going to play the wing back system, I can't see why you wouldn't want Obita and McCarthy as the wide players.
    If we're playing a back 4, then Grimmer becomes a more solid option.

I wonder if we might play a variation today, and have Hanlan properly up front with Vokes, and have McCleary off them.

• McCarthy might have just been rusty on Saturday, that'll only get better with games but Grimmer is ready if needed. He got some stick earlier in the season but mostly playing out of position with little cover.

• I expect it will be Hanlan for Horgan, but I wouldn't be devastated if it was Kaikai.

• Was last week the strongest bench we've ever had?

Pryzbek
    Grimmer
    Wheeler
    Kaikai
    Mehmeti
    Bayo
    Hanlan

• @Glenny said:
    I expect it will be Hanlan for Horgan, but I wouldn't be devastated if it was Kaikai.

Isn’t Kaikai also missing today? I reckon Hanlon will get the nod with Anis as super sub again, against a tiring defence. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see Anis start though. Wonder if we may see Parsons named on the bench?

• edited October 2021

@Brownie said:

Food prices going down well I see.

We must be at the stage now where reduced sales cancel any additional revenue from the increased prices. Once people get into the habit of eating elsewhere or bringing their own food it’ll take a lot to get them back buying chez Couhig burgers.

• That team looks pretty good to me.

I like the Gillingham badge but I don't like Gillingham.

For some reason I'm confident that we'll win comfortably today.

• @Brownie said:

Food prices going down well I see.

Good on them. It's embarrassing from our POV really.

• Akinde and Oliver will be a real handful for our back line today, but I’m sure it’s the kind of physical challenge Stewart and Taf would sign up for every week

• Massive and barely moving queue in the beer tent ☹️

• @arnos_grove said:
    Massive and barely moving queue in the beer tent ☹️

But we must embrace the premium experience!

• edited October 2021

I'm not sure £7 for a good cheeseburger in a football ground is comparatively that out of order , but the one someone bought me last week was as revolting. I think it might have been cottage cheese..I hope it was.

Bit odd to find that the train station bus goes past the bus station but won't stop too.

Probably wrong thread and time for these moans anyway, gorgeous day and great looking line up, Come on you bluessss!