Skip to content

VAR

Comments

• Ah fair enough. Bit like what they do for the early FA Cup rounds?

• Yes. It's basically like the Soccer Saturday thing with Jeff Selling, but they're allowed to show the games

• edited September 2021

Ah, taking after NFL RedZone. Fantastic format.

• I dont have sky or BT or any other pay channels Eric, but if I understand it similar to the FA Cup first round on Sunday - they have cameras at say eight games and just zoom around showing the goals etc as they happen from all eight.

• Except BBC spend most of the time cracking 'jokes' with Dion Dublin in the studio, or just have the camera fixed on the reporter at the game rather than showing the live action.

BT Sport Goals Show is excellent and is how the format should be done.

• @Croider said:
    Except BBC spend most of the time cracking 'jokes' with Dion Dublin in the studio, or just have the camera fixed on the reporter at the game rather than showing the live action.

BT Sport Goals Show is excellent and is how the format should be done.

It's a good watch, partly for the format but mostly because they use proper sports journalists with knowledge of the european teams and league's rather than ex players who can barely form a sentence.

• edited October 2021

I figured this is appropriate for here - VAR screen spontaneously combusts*
    * - Possibly, I'd like to think so at least

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12429189/andorra-vs-england-fire-breaks-out-at-national-stadium-day-before-european-qualifier

• Rumors of a "light" VAR coming to the EFL. Please no!

• Sounds like a condom advert

• @Shev said:
    Rumors of a "light" VAR coming to the EFL. Please no!

Tbf, you wouldn't trust most officials at that level to operate full VAR properly.

• edited February 2022

via GIPHY

Surely this is how to operate VAR properly? I reckon the majority of EFL officials could manage it.

fails to embed gif

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:
    Rumors of a "light" VAR coming to the EFL. Please no!

Tbf, you wouldn't trust most officials at that level to operate full VAR properly.

They would go to it for everything and our games would be 120 minutes long every week! Same old Wycombe always VARing...

• Our games are 120 mins every week!?

• Written in haste and never very good at the sums but you sort know where I was going.

• @Wendoverman are you suggesting we are time wasting [email protected] per chance do what we want?

• @LX1 said:
    @Wendoverman are you suggesting we are time wasting [email protected] per chance do what we want?

No. I would never suggest that! :smile:
    More that I suspect L1 refs would use it for every decision.

• Does the FA even have enough officials to fill the demand??

• Another absolutely huge day for VAR

• I assume @DevC is still adamant that VAR has improved overall decision making?

• edited October 2023

• I am so glad VAR isn’t used in the EFL season. If the Premier League officials can’t get things right 75% of the time, then imagine the EFL officials. VAR is quickly making Premier League football unbearable and I’d now much rather watch Chesham United when Wycombe are 150+ miles away than sit and watch Premier League.

• I'd certainly advocate going back to the old days and significantly reducing the amount of cameras at the game and banning slow motion replays.

Then the refs, players and managers can just get on with it knowing there will be mistakes but it won't be inspected from every angle. It drives me mad when they look at something from 7 angles and the pundits are like that's a great decision. Then the 8th angle shows something different and they immediately flip to it being a disgraceful decision. It's becoming increasingly tedious.

• Fans act like they weren't partially responsible for the introduction of VAR in the first place, with all their moaning. It does need a major review at the very least, although the ineptitude of our officials means it's unlikely to be used effectively over here.

• The offside cock-up yesterday absolutely beggars belief. As many have pointed out, how can anyone have any faith in the system anymore?

• I don’t actually think our match officials on the pitch are inept. The TV VAR officials have made some obvious errors though, which is farcical given what they have available to them to make decisions.

Humans make mistakes, it’s part and parcel of any sport. The criticism and abuse of football match officials is horrendous and a blight on the game.

I’d quite happily see points deductions for surrounding officials and abusing them on the pitch. Maybe a warning first time, then a final warning and on the 3rd occasion a points deduction.

we just don’t see this level of abuse in any other sport of match officials. Unfortunately it filters down to the kids and parents in junior leagues.

• But the VAR officials are also on-field officials. The two responsible yesterday were taken off on-field duties in further games this weekend.

• Officiating in a state which owns the reigning Premier League champions. Which idiot signed that off?

• Who would have thought VAR would be a complete shambles apart from absolutely everyone.

• What has become apparent, and it's truly astonishing in my opinion, is that the simplest of protocol isn't in place (unlike in rugby or cricket).

Ref " Was the player offside?"

VAR "Yes/No"

Ref "Does the goal stand?"

VAR "Yes/No"

You can blame the VAR officials for being confused about what the on pitch decision was. Although it seems unbelievable that they aren't also watching real time footage so can see there is a miscommunication and alert the on field officials to delay the restart.

However, whoever wrote the protocol needs to hang their head in shame too.