Skip to content

Newcastle United Takeover

13»

Comments

• We do know their intentions, it's to gain positive PR for their murderous regime. Same reason why they've had world championship boxing events and WWE events.

They'll be spending whatever it takes to make Newcastle successful and popular

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:
    I don't think it's a given that they suddenly start competing for the top prizes, in a year or two.
    They'll still need the right manager, and either pay China level wages and risk payers there for the wrong reasons, or really sell the "project" to top players.
    They'll still have to compete with City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool at home, and a few clubs abroad.

When the likes of Ben White are going for 50m, you can imagine how much clubs will charge when they hear Newcastle are at the bidding table.

They've got the money to just buy the best 11 players from the top 6 clubs and have a squad of 66 if they really wanted, so I don't think it will take anywhere near as long as it took city to be competitive. They're starting from a bigger base too

Are they starting from a bigger base? City's owners were the second dodgy regime not the first, they'd got the new stadium and been through Sven and co with the previous lot I think. No doubt they have a bigger following but not sure that matters of you're that minted.

Good points, I'd forgotten about the owners before the sheikh. Fairly similar then

• @Username said:
    Over half the country would vote to continue selling arms to Saudi even if they wiped out the rest of the middle east, so long as they get a blue passport, the crown print back on their pint glass…

What? Is it not there any more?

(Genuinely hadn’t noticed, which worries me a bit. Genuinely don’t care, which pleases me a lot)

• @eric_plant said:
    We do know their intentions, it's to gain positive PR for their murderous regime. Same reason why they've had world championship boxing events and WWE events.

Plus there's some kind of streaming piracy thing that has magically been resolved by this.

• What happened to our rumoured potential Saudi owners? Or did I dream that?

• @bookertease said:
    What happened to our rumoured potential Saudi owners? Or did I dream that?

I seem to recall talk of such a thing but I think the corrupt regime handling our sale ignored their bid or something. @NiceCarrots will know.

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:
    We do know their intentions, it's to gain positive PR for their murderous regime. Same reason why they've had world championship boxing events and WWE events.

Plus there's some kind of streaming piracy thing that has magically been resolved by this.

Magically resolved to allow this to happen.

Bein Sports (Gray's and Keys and all) is from Qatar, and Saudi had banned it from selling there for a few random competition and friendliness reasons but for a time was seemingly happily allowing a local company to pirate stream it to anyone who wanted it there under a similar name.
    Bein , as a Prem customer had asked for the Newcastle deal to be blocked because of this. This was all resolved this week but that is just a coincidence of course, it makes much more sense that they proved somehow in court that whilst the Saudi royal family owns 80% of the holding company they don't actually control it. So everything is ok again.

• It might be a bit of a generalisation but I think some of the Arab owners are very trigger happy when to comes to managers, might just be more of the same for the Toon.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It might be a bit of a generalisation but I think some of the Arab owners are very trigger happy when to comes to managers, might just be more of the same for the Toon.

Don’t say “trigger happy” around Saudi owners. It’ll give them ideas.

• @Wendoverman said:

@bookertease said:
    What happened to our rumoured potential Saudi owners? Or did I dream that?

I seem to recall talk of such a thing but I think the corrupt regime handling our sale ignored their bid or something. @NiceCarrots will know.

Don't bring all that up again.
    Any mention of the suddeb disappearance of the other chap, who staked his rep on Ainsworth being gone to QPR, whose name I genuinely forget, used to evoke major ire in those who believed his every word.

• Even if we had been bought by Saudis, I am sure the whole thing would have just been some kind of sheikh down.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58840820

Just to allay the misgiving do-gooding human rights fanatics might have, there has been the revelation that our lovely, freedom-loving government intervened to push the deal through, and are refusing to disclose the details of their meeting with the Premier League, after which the PL waved through the takeover of one of their members by the sovereign wealth fund of a country that has an appalling human rights record but pays billions to the UK government for various arms deals.
    Nothing even vaguely whiffy about this deal whatsoever...

• From the article, on Keir Starmer:

He added that it was not for him as a politician to say who should own football clubs.

Is there anything that man will actually take a stance on? That fence must be fused to his milquetoast arse by now.

• @drcongo said:
    From the article, on Keir Starmer:

He added that it was not for him as a politician to say who should own football clubs.

Is there anything that man will actually take a stance on?

Stances? Seems pretty clear where he stands on those.

• Liz Truss and Boris involved in foreign affairs should make everyone shudder.

• I went to the other school in Burnham ( The one for the kids that the grammar school system discards) at the same time as Ashley so our paths may have crossed but I don’t remember him.
    I do however remember Matthew Cottle ( The ginger one in Game On ) who was a friend at the time and a thoroughly nice bloke.
    I’ve added nothing to the debate

• I met Matthew Cottle after seeing him in a play...he was indeed a nice bloke. I've been in one of Ashley's shops but he was not there.

• Burnham grammar has Mike Ashley and Jimmy Carr as former pupils. My former school was shut a few years ago as it got into a spiral of falling numbers of pupils attending and falling grades of the ones who washed up there as sharper elbowed parents sent their kids elsewhere.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Burnham grammar has Mike Ashley and Jimmy Carr as former pupils. My former school was shut a few years ago as it got into a spiral of falling numbers of pupils attending and falling grades of the ones who washed up there as sharper elbowed parents sent their kids elsewhere.

Thought Jimmy Carr went to RGS?

• @Username said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    Burnham grammar has Mike Ashley and Jimmy Carr as former pupils. My former school was shut a few years ago as it got into a spiral of falling numbers of pupils attending and falling grades of the ones who washed up there as sharper elbowed parents sent their kids elsewhere.

Only sixth form

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Only sixth form

Learn something new every day

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Only sixth form

Learn something new every day

I had a feeling he got kicked out as well, but idk - been nine years since I left and I've tried to forget the place.

• It's Sunderland I feel sorry for ?