Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Did Derby get the area depreciated to make it easier to control?

Happy for Rocky, though.

‘Depreciated’ a financial term this side of the pond, ‘made smaller’ works in the leafy children hills old chap. Reminds me of when I lived in the States and the weather presenter (or forecaster?) talked about ‘precipitation’ oh right raining! and of course a drink is a beverage - don’t get me started!

• *Chiltern Hills?

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Shev said:
    Did Derby get the area depreciated to make it easier to control?

Happy for Rocky, though.

‘Depreciated’ a financial term this side of the pond, ‘made smaller’ works in the leafy children hills old chap. Reminds me of when I lived in the States and the weather presenter (or forecaster?) talked about ‘precipitation’ oh right raining! and of course a drink is a beverage - don’t get me started!

Think you might have missed the reference to Derby cooking the books.

• edited October 2021

Just had a little read through on Twitter to see what the deal was with Uche, given Boro are so out of form. Apparently Warnock said after the Blackpool game that he was frustrated that Uche didn’t close down the Blackpool keeper, who was casually strolling with the ball at his feet, running the clock down. He only played 12 minutes in that game and hasn’t had many minutes since.

I think Warnock’s days are numbered anyway. Incidentally, here’s a photo of Uche after the Hull defeat.

He certainly doesn’t look like he’s enjoying his time up there, although they had just been beaten and he did have an opportunity to score right at the death (kept out by Matty Ingram).

• @Gary said:
    Just had a little read through on Twitter to see what the deal was with Uche, given Boro are so out of form. Apparently Warnock said after the Blackpool game that he was frustrated that Uche didn’t close down the Blackpool keeper, who was casually strolling with the ball at his feet, running the clock down. He only played 12 minutes in that game and hasn’t had many minutes since.

I think Warnock’s days are numbered anyway. Incidentally, here’s a photo of Uche after the Hull defeat.

He certainly doesn’t look like he’s enjoying his time up there, although they had just been beaten and he did have an opportunity to score right at the death (kept out by Matty Ingram).

He's only been there 10 mins, the grumpiest man in football had a go at him and he looks miserable after someone shoved a camera up his nose a defeat. Not sure that means he's coming back in January. Not that he wouldn't be great out wide and around Vokes.

• Interesting update, cheers @Gary. I hope Uche does well, but it sounds like he is certainly in a tough spot up there.

• I’ve found the link to the comments I referred to:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-explains-uche-ikpeazu-21693555

The main quote is here:

“I’m not a big stats person but when he came on for ten minutes recently he never made one sprint in that time.”

• @Gary said:
    I’ve found the link to the comments I referred to:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-explains-uche-ikpeazu-21693555

The main quote is here:

“I’m not a big stats person but when he came on for ten minutes recently he never made one sprint in that time.”

To be fair to Uche even when he sprints it doesn’t look like he is sprinting #lolopinggate

• Was happy Uche got a chance to stay in the Championship, but after only half a season I did think it might prove to be a mistake not to stick with us for the League One campaign.

• I’m sure there were loads of times where Uche or others did something that GA or Dobbo didn’t like. But dealing with it in the papers is not how it’s corrected. That’s a manager with an ego not a coach. Also maybe Warnock needs to consider if he’s responsible for a culture where his players are not wanting to run through walls for the team from minute 1 to 100.

• I think Vokes and Hanlon are a vast improvement on Uche. It was a masterstroke that we got Boro to fork out 750,000 for him.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I’m sure there were loads of times where Uche or others did something that GA or Dobbo didn’t like. But dealing with it in the papers is not how it’s corrected. That’s a manager with an ego not a coach. Also maybe Warnock needs to consider if he’s responsible for a culture where his players are not wanting to run through walls for the team from minute 1 to 100.

Whether you like his methods or not, Warnock has got 8 promotions on his CV including getting 4 teams into the Premier League.

• edited October 2021

Doesn't mean he's still a good manager

• I saw Middlesbrough play and chatted to several of their travelling supporters at a pre season friendly.

Warnock seemed very popular amongst those supporters at least.OK attitudes change, especially after a few defeats, but I would be surprised if there is any threat to his job just yet.

My guess is that Boro will be playing a pre-season friendly at Tavistock again next season ( probably as a Championship club still) - indeed when he finally retires, the loss of that annual friendly will be a major hit to that clubs annual income.

• edited October 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

Didn't say it did, everyone has a limited shelf life. However there is no disputing he has had a successful career.

• edited October 2021

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Didn't say it did, everyone has a limited shelf life. However there is no disputing he has had a successful career.

Yeah, for sure. His eight promotions is a record, I think?

• I recall hearing Tony Cottee telling a story about MoN when he signed for Leicester and was playing with Heskey in a game early in his career at the club. Both him and Heskey were playing poorly at half time and they were 2-0 down. MoN came into the dressing room and tore into Cottee and told him in no uncertain terms what a waste of money he was. He then turned to Heskey and told him essentially he was the greatest footballer of all time and the opposition could only admire him tonight as he was unplayable.
    The teams went out, Heskey towering with confidence, Cottee filled with anger and rage. They won they game with both players scoring and as Cottee went back to the dressing room a lightbulb came on. He needed rage at that moment, Heskey needed love.
    Now some of that I have paraphrased but it does show the difference in style between players and why some managers can be one-dimensional. In interviews I have seen I would suggest Uche needs to be told he's the greatest, and maybe Warnock isn't the guy who thinks he should be telling him that.

• Warnock will also be tryong to justify to fans why the player he bought for goals is not being played.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub You don't think Warnock would have struggled to have a very successful 40 year managerial career if he didnt know how to manage both types of player (and many more for that matter?)

• @DevC I think player mentality has evolved faster than (some) managers and it's possible that more 'fragile' players would not have made it to the top level in the days of managers who only knew hair dryer motivation.
    It's no surprise that our club who invest so much in the well being of players have had many examples of over-performers through the doors. And maybe that environment allowed an Uche to thrive and a more (ahem) traditional environment would not suit others.

• I think too often 'old-school manager' is used as cover for being a bully

• Isn't Uche scoring as many goals per game for Boro as he was for us ?

• Warnock has a very distinct old fashioned direct approach, he's very good at rileing lazy players and getting workhorses to play above their potential to keep poor teams up or take average teams to promotion but it's certainly a long time since he was anywhere for a long time, he's not really a club or player builder.
    As for Uche maybe he was being lazy, maybe there's other reasons, maybe the hairdryer treatment will work, who knows.

• edited October 2021

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Isn't Uche scoring as many goals per game for Boro as he was for us ?

Wiki lists it as

Wycombe 33 appearances 6 goals

Middlesborough 4 appearances 2 goals.

He must have made a few more appearances since this was updated, but largely very short sub appearances.

• Warnock did three years at Cardiff in the job before this one. By modern standards that is a very long time. Time will tell whether he gets as long at Boro and whether Uche is a success there.

• I remember MON saying the same thing (possibly in the Out of the Blue’ book), when he compared (I think) Andy Kerr with someone else at the club.

He said when AK had a decent game he would make a point of bigging him up in his interviews to the press as he felt he needed that boost. Whereas if (whoever it was) had a great game he would never mention it as that player already had a high enough opinion of himself

• I like Warnock, not everyone's cup of tea but there you go. To say he's not very good is just stupid, he's got a great record, and I often see fans on other forums saying they'd be more than happy to have him as their manager

• edited October 2021

@HolmerBlue said:
    I like Warnock, not everyone's cup of tea but there you go. To say he's not very good is just stupid, he's got a great record, and I often see fans on other forums saying they'd be more than happy to have him as their manager

His legacy is that game his team ended up with too few players to continue.
    Should have copped a right old ban for that one.

• @bookertease said:
    I remember MON saying the same thing (possibly in the Out of the Blue’ book), when he compared (I think) Andy Kerr with someone else at the club.

He said when AK had a decent game he would make a point of bigging him up in his interviews to the press as he felt he needed that boost. Whereas if (whoever it was) had a great game he would never mention it as that player already had a high enough opinion of himself

Probably Keith Scott.
    Regarding Scottie, seem to remember that half the Gasroom wanted him as manager before Gareth was appointed. Wonder how that might have panned out, and where would we be now? Absolutely no disrespect to Scottie intended by the way, one of my all-time favourite players.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@bookertease said:
    I remember MON saying the same thing (possibly in the Out of the Blue’ book), when he compared (I think) Andy Kerr with someone else at the club.

Probably Keith Scott.
    Regarding Scottie, seem to remember that half the Gasroom wanted him as manager before Gareth was appointed. Wonder how that might have panned out, and where would we be now? Absolutely no disrespect to Scottie intended by the way, one of my all-time favourite players.

Scotty used to do quite a few radio commentaries too.
    But then totally dropped out of the picture.