Skip to content

Drum Banned on Terrace

Comments

• Bring back the brass band who sat in the family stand many years ago. We’re they called the Adams Family or is that my imagination??

• edited October 2021

@WelwynWanderer said:
    Bring back the brass band who sat in the family stand many years ago. We’re they called the Adams Family or is that my imagination??

These guys?

• edited October 2021

Adams Apple I think @WelwynWanderer , fair bit more recent than that article I believe.

• Adams Apple wasn't it?

• The biggest problem was that the drummer wanted to be the centre of attention. Sometimes this worked when trying to rouse an otherwise passive crowd into getting behind the lads, other times he ended up drumming away trying to start up one chant while the crowd was chanting something else, or just continued drumming away when no one else was joining in.
    I don't know the personal situation of the drummer, I don't doubt the club did their best to work with him to get him to work with the crowd. The decision to ban all instruments is possibly a sign that the club have given up playing nice cop.

All of this is in contrast to when a young chap by the name of Joe started bringing a drum along in the late 90s, he did a great job of complimenting chants coming from the Valley End, occasionally starting some himself but never making a nuisance of himself like the current drummer has been prone to doing.

• The long and short of it is that the regulars on the Valley End will need to be more proactive in getting behind the team and starting chants to lift the team than they do currently. The first half of the Morecambe game being a case in point.

• Didn’t they appear on They Think it’s all Over?

• Someone suggested that he's still free to turn up in the woods and drum from there!

I genuinely didn't know whether to laugh at that or think it harsh!

• Would have been a nicer gesture for the club to reward his fanatism (if that's not a word then it should be), by approaching Tom and offering some drumming lessons.

Feel sorry for him that he has been embarrassed in this way and that other drummers have to suffer.

• @Malone said:

@peterparrotface said:
    @Malone are quite a few people not going because of the drummer then?

@our_frank is it across the ledge at the top or at your feet? Hoping for a late November return to the home of the pretentious intelligentsia of the Valley End

I've heard a small amount of people say they've stopped because of him. But then we know people said they wouldn't come back until Hayes left...then didn't come back.

However, the club specifically referencing terrace sales going down is very interesting.
    They wouldn't just make that up.

No fair point. I’ve thought the terrace seems busier this season but maybe not

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Would have been a nicer gesture for the club to reward his fanatism (if that's not a word then it should be), by approaching Tom and offering some drumming lessons.

Feel sorry for him that he has been embarrassed in this way and that other drummers have to suffer.

I think a previous poster claimed he was offered exactly that...

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Would have been a nicer gesture for the club to reward his fanatism (if that's not a word then it should be), by approaching Tom and offering some drumming lessons.

The club did that, he refused.

Other supporters offered lessons too, to be met with abuse.

• He’s said on Twitter that he won’t be going any more and he is anticipating a sharp decline in performances as a result, which he is looking forward to.

• @Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I think a previous poster claimed he was offered exactly that...

Apologies. Then he is his own worst enemy. Wish him all the best but his attitude is obviously a stumbling block in that case and if he is provoking trouble as alleged, then its for the best.

• Gene Krupa and Art Blakey, especially Art Blakey

• @JohnBoy said:
    He’s said on Twitter that he won’t be going any more and he is anticipating a sharp decline in performances as a result, which he is looking forward to.

That highlights his bad attitude sadly.. sure we had this scenario a few seasons ago that he couldn't go and wished we lose.

Pretty sure he will be back!

• In fairness, I can see how being offered "drumming lessons" would feel like an absolute insult.

It's a football game, not the Albert Hall.

• @JohnBoy said:
    He’s said on Twitter that he won’t be going any more and he is anticipating a sharp decline in performances as a result, which he is looking forward to.

That’s literally about the 4th time he has said that this season alone. My favourite one was when he said he was going to move to Portsmouth and support them instead after about game 2 of the season.

• @Malone said:
    In fairness, I can see how being offered "drumming lessons" would feel like an absolute insult.

It's a football game, not the Albert Hall.

You've heard the drumming on the terrace right?

• Remember there is a vulnerable young man involved here. He is not a celebrity, he doesn't deserve constant scrutiny. The club has made it's (probably correct) decision. Give him some space now to come to terms with his new reality. If he chooses to keep on attending, that would be great. He is not a circus "freak" or an object of fun or ridicule in person or on the internet. Time to leave him alone.

• On the drop in terrace numbers...whilst the drum issue may have put a few off, surely this is more down to the massive rise in the cost of attending this season?

• @LX1 said:
    On the drop in terrace numbers...whilst the drum issue may have put a few off, surely this is more down to the massive rise in the cost of attending this season?

Think the club have a few more excuses to come out with before they arrive at this inevitable conclusion. Offers and deals galore after Christmas on both tickets and food would be my guess.

The club have to settle in to this higher value before they discount off of it. I'd ignore the recent subscription teasers and wait for a good deal half season offer

• It was heaving for the Stanley match. It was sparsely populated last weekend - undoubtedly hit by fuel availability and appalling weather. But I don't doubt that there are a variety of other factors, cost prominent among them, which are persuading people against attending.

It's really good that we are playing tomorrow. We need these Saturday games with less Premier League distraction and some decent weather. Fingers crossed we get a few more and the performance persuades them to keep coming.

• @LX1 said:
    On the drop in terrace numbers...whilst the drum issue may have put a few off, surely this is more down to the massive rise in the cost of attending this season?

Surely in that case you'd find the other areas dipped, and the terrace increased, as that's the cheapest area by miles?

• I said to someone earlier that if anyone stopped coming because of the drummer they shouldn't be allowed back

I was only half joking

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:

Surely in that case you'd find the other areas dipped, and the terrace increased, as that's the cheapest area by miles?

Not necessarily. The terrace - and family stand- would be the areas where people who could previously only just afford to go to the football, would go. With the price increase they might be priced out altogether.

I expect there were a few people who moved to a cheaper area after the price increases, but generally that would be quite a small band, most who can afford the luxury of better seats can still afford it and are willing to pay for what they want.

• The supposed reduction in terrace dwellers may simply be down to some supporters decanting to the seating areas to get away from the incessant din.

• @DevC said:
    Remember there is a vulnerable young man involved here. He is not a celebrity, he doesn't deserve constant scrutiny. The club has made it's (probably correct) decision. Give him some space now to come to terms with his new reality. If he chooses to keep on attending, that would be great. He is not a circus "freak" or an object of fun or ridicule in person or on the internet. Time to leave him alone.

Totally agree.

• Been agreeing with much of what Dev's saying here, and on the Newcastle thread

Need to manufacture a VAR discussion to reset the equilibrium

• edited October 2021

@DevC said:
    Remember there is a vulnerable young man involved here. He is not a celebrity, he doesn't deserve constant scrutiny. The club has made it's (probably correct) decision. Give him some space now to come to terms with his new reality. If he chooses to keep on attending, that would be great. He is not a circus "freak" or an object of fun or ridicule in person or on the internet. Time to leave him alone.

Can't disagree with that, but Tom did quite literally seek out being a "celebrity fan", hence his idolisation of the strange bloke at Pompey. It was blindingly obvious it would end badly yet he was still encouraged along that path because of overly do-gooding people around him enabling him at every turn rather than injecting in some realism/ harsh truths in the name of short term "mental health" or other reasons. It could have ended the situation without the need for the club to make a public statement banning all drums and even more attention (and ill feeling) being put on him.

I hope he will still support us and will enjoy coming to the game without the hassle that he attracted by bringing along the drum

This discussion has been closed.