Skip to content

Comments

• Not just drums. Don’t be thinking you can bring your harmonica either.

• Nik Kershaw’s not going to be happy about this. But then he is from Colchester…

• Hopefully the club have discussed this personally with Thomas, since the whole policy is aimed at him.

• I hope klaxons aren't counted as a musical instrument :(

• Genuinely have sympathy for the guy who clearly is a fan. But at Stevenage I could have swung for him

• edited October 2021

Massive shame the club have been forced to enforce a draconian ban on all instruments when the issue was so clearly just with one individual.

I understand how hard it is for the club to not seem discriminatory (or not put themselves in a position that any idiot can accuse them of being that), but there must be a better way than punishing the other drummer Paul- and every drummer before him- who have managed to add to the atmosphere not detract for as long as I can remember standing on the terrace.

• The actions of some of the knobheads who it would appear were bullying this young man with learning difficulties to the extent that three people were ejected last week is likely to have played a part in this outcome too.

Probably the right and inevitable decision but really sad that things have got to this stage. Really hope that the lad concerned with his evident love for the football club does not have his life too badly affected by this sad tale. I hope the club now reach out to him and make him feel valued.

• Interested to see if he improvises by just pounding the hoardings at the back of the terrace

• He won’t come will he?

• A similar level of effort to address the Valley End Guano Crisis would be welcome.

• I believe the club have wanted to do this for a fair old while, but the trust had talked them out of it, thinking that it could be managed.

But if little rucks and "unsociable" behaviour have started kicking in, and the more worrying drop off in sales, then it had to be done.

Shame it seems so targeted at one person, but if you have one person's behaviour so negatively affecting so many others, to the point it stops them going and loses the club money, then what other solution is there?

This has been going on years now.

• @Malone are quite a few people not going because of the drummer then?

@our_frank is it across the ledge at the top or at your feet? Hoping for a late November return to the home of the pretentious intelligentsia of the Valley End

• edited October 2021

@DevC said:
    The actions of some of the knobheads who it would appear were bullying this young man with learning difficulties to the extent that three people were ejected last week is likely to have played a part in this outcome too.

Probably the right and inevitable decision but really sad that things have got to this stage. Really hope that the lad concerned with his evident love for the football club does not have his life too badly affected by this sad tale. I hope the club now reach out to him and make him feel valued.

Of course they were the straw that broke the camels back, and if they were abusive, shame on them. But it was inevitable that eventually he'd get stick on the terrace as people's patience had run out. Learning difficulties are a reason for more understanding and time to be given- but they can't be used as a never ending catch all excuse to be able to piss off hundreds of people for years with no sign of improvement.

Tom's been let down by his "friends" and family who should have ensured he played with the terrace not for himself and not further alienated himself from large groups of supporters while also trying to make himself the centre of attention- that's asking for trouble.

• The good news though is that vuvuzelas don't count as musical.

• @Malone Has it though? I reckon Tom has been drumming for probably 6 or 7 years now. I don't go in the terrace at AP, but do go to most away games, and as far as I can see this issue has only started to happen in the last two or three years. How come he managed to do it for several years without any obvious complaints? I've always had the impression that our promotion to League One brought with it an increase in fans on the terrace and at away games, and a section of those fans decided to start having a go at Tom both in person and on social media, and it escalated from there.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @Malone Has it though? I reckon Tom has been drumming for probably 6 or 7 years now. I don't go in the terrace at AP, but do go to most away games, and as far as I can see this issue has only started to happen in the last two or three years. How come he managed to do it for several years without any obvious complaints? I've always had the impression that our promotion to League One brought with it an increase in fans on the terrace and at away games, and a section of those fans decided to start having a go at Tom both in person and on social media, and it escalated from there.

1) He was a child when he started so people gave him a lot more leeway- plus he had a parent/ support person with him guiding him.

2) People knew he had learning difficulties so were prepared to give him time to learn and improve- that's not happened.

3) Last couple of years he's become far more vocal online and sent out out abuse to people that weren't abusive to him which turned a fair few "moderates" against him. If you're going to try and present yourself as a superfan at the centre of a club's support, you have to be at least vaguely liked by the rest of the supporters or people will start to resent it

• In the world of jazz, rock and pop, drums get very mixed reactions from fellow musicians and, amongst the general public, significant numbers would not even classify them as musical instruments. But in the hands (literally) of the best, they are essential to the overall sound or at least enhance it and solos can border on melodic. I have in mind the likes of Shelly Manne, Connie Kay (Modern Jazz Quartet), Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet), Charlie Watts (Stones) and the recently departed Colin Bowden, a British New Orleans style drummer, regarded by most traditional jazz aficionados as the best ever in that particular style.

• I meant to add that most “modern” jazz musicians would not regard the banjo as a musical instrument but I just can’t see it going down too well (or even being heard) on the terrace. You’d need the Big Ben Banjo Band.

• @floyd said:
    Hopefully the club have discussed this personally with Thomas, since the whole policy is aimed at him.

He’s also been the target of abuse and theft, so the policy is also in place to protect him (and others like him)

• This is the worst day for drumming at Adams Park since Steve Hayes gave everyone a set of those inflatable sticks.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    This is the worst day for drumming at Adams Park since Steve Hayes gave everyone a set of those inflatable sticks.

Oh god, don't give anyone ideas!

• It’s sad that it has come to this but from the club’s perspective it was the only decision they could take. Hopefully someone from the club has spoken to Tom or his parents to explain their actions.

• Really sad decision but a real reflection on how tough educating people on mental health can be. Absolutely hate the drumming but it sounds like the issue is more around the reaction of some to the drummer.
    Fulham embraced a fan getting abuse for who he is. Not sure we’ve done enough

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Really sad decision but a real reflection on how tough educating people on mental health can be. Absolutely hate the drumming but it sounds like the issue is more around the reaction of some to the drummer.

Superb post, and I agree totally.

• @micra said:
    In the world of jazz, rock and pop, drums get very mixed reactions from fellow musicians and, amongst the general public, significant numbers would not even classify them as musical instruments. But in the hands (literally) of the best, they are essential to the overall sound or at least enhance it and solos can border on melodic. I have in mind the likes of Shelly Manne, Connie Kay (Modern Jazz Quartet), Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet), Charlie Watts (Stones) and the recently departed Colin Bowden, a British New Orleans style drummer, regarded by most traditional jazz aficionados as the best ever in that particular style.

You left out Clyde Stubblefield and Ginger Baker.

• @peterparrotface It used to be on the ledge. And in the pre-lockdown season, I remember a little on the floor. But now the amount on the floor has made Pseud's Corner a health hazard and uninhabitable. Frankly, it's disgusting and not at all befitting of the "best stadium in the country" or whatever it's supposed to be. Hopefully they will have attended to it before your return and @LX1 coming along for the Most Important Game of the Season.

• @our_frank Have you raised it with the club? Bit of a grim Jon for someone, but I'm sure they'll sort it.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Really sad decision but a real reflection on how tough educating people on mental health can be. Absolutely hate the drumming but it sounds like the issue is more around the reaction of some to the drummer.

This sums it up exactly.

• @drcongo said:

@micra said:
    In the world of jazz, rock and pop, drums get very mixed reactions from fellow musicians and, amongst the general public, significant numbers would not even classify them as musical instruments. But in the hands (literally) of the best, they are essential to the overall sound or at least enhance it and solos can border on melodic. I have in mind the likes of Shelly Manne, Connie Kay (Modern Jazz Quartet), Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet), Charlie Watts (Stones) and the recently departed Colin Bowden, a British New Orleans style drummer, regarded by most traditional jazz aficionados as the best ever in that particular style.

You left out Clyde Stubblefield and Ginger Baker.

To be honest I thought you’d made up the first name. Ginger Baker was remarkable, just as at home with jazz as with rock. I love anything by Gerry Mulligan and/or Chet Baker (no relation!) but can’t recall names of any of their drummers.

This discussion has been closed.