Skip to content

COVID 19 and Club's Vaccination Status

After reading the BBC Article regarding the lack of COVID-19 vaccine uptake in the professional footballers, does anyone know what the Club's vaccination status is? Are we one of the few that has a squad fully vaccinated or do we have a large number of players who haven't been vaccinated yet?

BBC Article is https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58806500

Comments

• edited October 2021

I bloody hope they're all vaccinated (or in the process of being, as might apply to the youngest players) - and that if there are any anti-vaxxing dangers in the squad, they're promptly put in their place and made to see sense.

• edited October 2021

Personally, I think the Premier League, EFL etc. should mandate vaccination as a condition for playing in their competition - but I can't see that happening as I'm sure it would just cause more aggro than it would be worth because of idiots like Callum Robinson.

• edited October 2021

Well I hope that Akinfenwa was jabbed before the match against Man City seeing as tho he was getting selfies, hugs and giving messages to his supporters in Manchester after the match! Our squad is so affected by an injury here or there, to lose a player for 10 days because they haven't been jabbed just seems stupid!

• I read somewhere the ones in the England squad who are unvaxxed are all because of conspiracy theories or poor information on the internet. (Not that I am worried about the next world cup being disrupted...)

• Thank goodness Josh Parker isn't still a Wycombe player!

• The poor information being _"I'm young and fit and it only affects those who are old" That didn't seem to work out for Darlow (Newcastle Keeper)

• edited October 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    I read somewhere the ones in the England squad who are unvaxxed are all because of conspiracy theories or poor information on the internet. (Not that I am worried about the next world cup being disrupted...)

Who do you think would be a player(s) who would spread these theories and / or bad info? (Not that I'm creating a witch-hunt!)

• I don't think we have any right to demand access to the status of our players, surely a privacy issue

• I agree with @therabbittest.

Vaccination is the moral, sensible and right thing to do but we should not demonise those who choose not to be vaccinated and it is none of our business who is and isn’t.

I was also under the impression that those who have been vaccinated carry pretty much the same viral load if they get covid (and plenty do) so in the example above there is still risk if Bayo has been vaccinated.

(Not meaning to side with the anti-vaxxer loons, but people can have honourable reasons for not getting vaccinated)

• edited October 2021

@bookertease said:
    (Not meaning to side with the anti-vaxxer loons, but people can have honourable reasons for not getting vaccinated)

Can they? Unless you have legitimate medical grounds - in which case I imagine you'd be advised not to get vaccinated anyway - I think it's downright inconsiderate to say the least.

• @bookertease said:
    I agree with @therabbittest.

Vaccination is the moral, sensible and right thing to do but we should not demonise those who choose not to be vaccinated and it is none of our business who is and isn’t.

I was also under the impression that those who have been vaccinated carry pretty much the same viral load if they get covid (and plenty do) so in the example above there is still risk if Bayo has been vaccinated.

I agree with @ReturnToSenda.

The antibodies that the body creates after getting COVID massively decline after 3/4 months whereas a vaccine offers someone the potential to have protection for the rest of their lives.

What justifiable reason (apart from medical) can a player give for not getting the jab? I think Bayo has boasted about having it on his Snapchat account which is only going to attract those who were sitting on the fence about it to book themselves in.

• I also disagree with the suggestion that people's vaccination status is a private matter. We're in the midst of a public health crisis; it's not intrusive to want to know if those around us / who we're interacting with are more likely to pass the virus onto us because they're walking around unvaxxed.

• I don't think anyone who is vaccinated would have a problem with publicly sharing that fact anyway?

• My point was that proof of vaccination is not proof that you won’t be able to pass the virus on so not sure it helps that much.

• @bookertease said:
    My point was that proof of vaccination is not proof that you won’t be able to pass the virus on so not sure it helps that much.

It's not, but surely you want people to take all possible measures to reduce the risk of transmission - and by far the best way to do that is to get vaccinated.

• @bookertease I'm pretty sure I've read on a number of occasions that being double-jabbed significantly reduces the chance of someone transmitting the virus to someone else (and also reduces the chance of contracting it in the first place).

• Pretty much agree with everything that @ReturnToSenda has to say on this subject.
    Except for genuine medical grounds, I see no valid reason for anyone not to be vaccinated. No time whatsoever for the likes of Callum Robinson, who doesn't seem to be able to give a credible reason for his refusal.

• What about peoples mental health when it comes to vaccinations, which are are more often than not delivered through a needle?

I've been researching this very topic, mainly through my own experience:

I'm not anti-vax and I've had both jabs (hugely stressful). Being needle phobic doesn't appear to be in the conversation but it is a contributor to vaccine hesitancy.

• edited October 2021

@bluntphil said:
    What about peoples mental health when it comes to vaccinations, which are are more often than not delivered through a needle?

I've been researching this very topic, mainly through my own experience:

I'm not anti-vax and I've had both jabs (hugely stressful). Being needle phobic doesn't appear to be in the conversation but it is a contributor to vaccine hesitancy.

Yeah, there's a distinction between between vaccine hesitancy and being an anti-vaxxer - although I think it can be a fine line (not in the case of needle phobia, which is obviously a very genuine thing or they wouldn't ask you about it when you go to get jabbed!).

• @bluntphil fair comment! Well done for going through with it and what you've done since. I take your point that others might not be so inclined. My other half is also needle-phobic and has to lay down after any encounter with a needle. She hasn't been able to watch the seemingly non-stop shots on TV news programmes of everyone getting their jabs, but she was absolutely determined to go ahead and have hers, and she was very apprehensive about it but fine afterwards.

• @ReturnToSenda I was not asked about my phobia when I went for my first jab and for a few weeks afterwards was adamant that I wouldn't be having the second dose. I don't see a distinction between hesitancy and anti in any of the conversations about this.

@NewburyWanderer I fully sympathise with your other half and great that she managed to get them done without incident.

• @bluntphil That seems neglectful on their part - I got asked both times - but good that you got it all done. I know someone who passed out after one of theirs.

• @therabbittest said:
    I don't think we have any right to demand access to the status of our players, surely a privacy issue

I’m with this guy to be honest. I have had all my vaccines and I would encourage everyone to get them. They are a no brainer to me.

That said, I don’t think it’s any of my business to know if someone has decided not too. I don’t need to pry into those reasons when they could be absolutely justified.

I am also morally against governments and/or companies mandating that someone that someone has to put something into there body, which mandating vaccinations is on a basic level.

Not only would that be the thin end of a dangerous wedge, it utterly feeds into the anti-Vaxxers message of “see, we told you they are trying to put there expiremental drug into you” narrative.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:

Can they? Unless you have legitimate medical grounds - in which case I imagine you'd be advised not to get vaccinated anyway - I think it's downright inconsiderate to say the least.

Scenario. You’re wife/girlfriend/significant other is pregnant. They have not yet had the vaccine.

Do you insist she has the vaccine.

Note: pregnant women are not tested on with new drugs for ethnical reasons. There are no large studies to prove/disprove the safety of the vaccine on pregnant women.

• Ethical not ethnical. Bloody fat fingers.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:

Scenario. You’re wife/girlfriend/significant other is pregnant. They have not yet had the vaccine.

Do you insist she has the vaccine.

Note: pregnant women are not tested on with new drugs for ethnical reasons. There are no large studies to prove/disprove the safety of the vaccine on pregnant women.

That would come under legitimate medical grounds, would it not?

• Well, we don’t know is the point.

If it turns out there’s zero concern then on medical grounds no, it wouldn’t. Now that would be decided on hidesite, but if someone has genuine concerns for any reason then they are within there right to refuse.

You might not personally think there reasons are legitimate, but it’s utterly not upto you.

• If you've arrived here by accident, here is your way out: https://gasroom.org/discussion/comment/204286#Comment_204286

• edited October 2021

@TheDancingYak Of course people have a choice whether or not to get it - but they don't have to be accommodated (e.g. if vaccine passports ever become a thing - although that seems unlikely now). Just like certain countries won't let you enter if you haven't had certain jabs.

• Genuine question @ReturnToSenda. Do you still wear a face mask in shops, public spaces?