Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• edited October 2021

@micra said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    The whole drummer business has become a silly mess but hard not to raise a smirk at someone doing the Gape song to him; Who's the worst drummer in the football league, it's you Tom, Tom.... Not helpful or nice but at least inventive.

The person who was ejected had apparently sent a mischievous text to wherever you report use of bad language, abusive behaviour etc, claiming (falsely) that it was Tom. At least I think that was what happened.

@micra said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    The whole drummer business has become a silly mess but hard not to raise a smirk at someone doing the Gape song to him; Who's the worst drummer in the football league, it's you Tom, Tom.... Not helpful or nice but at least inventive.
    Couple of ageing goons in front of me seemed to doing their best to get thrown out after a steward had the gall to ask the poor sunflowers if they'd mind keeping the stairway free. Perhaps the bright yellow was a little too subtle for their inebriated minds.

[deleted by admin]

That number you can text to report stuff is supposedly anonymous, so not sure how they could identify someone out of a crowd of 4 thousand that sends one. If they can then not many people will use it !

• A lot of that sounds quite positive in a way @micra , good on Tom if he's looking for help in the right way. As for the phone line, whilst it's a good initiative I can't imagine too many people have got the number down stored in case it's required as it isn't a particularly memorable number and flashed up on the big screen quite quickly. It doesn't seem harsh tbh if someone has deliberately misused the service effectively to bully Tom and waste peoples time that they get thrown out on their arse tbh.

• I fully support the comments on Phil (and the co-commentator from Saturday). I watched the entire match through again yesterday morning on i-follow, having been there on Saturday. Obviously it helps seeing things again (or for about the 4th time in relation to the goals, having seen the highlights on various platforms on Saturday evening) but his awareness of tactics and comments on players' movement and abilities (particularly the Morecambe players, whom I knew nothing of) is fantastic and enhanced my appreciation of what I had seen first hand. His sly, seemingly throw-away, puns and quips are also a joy. Keep up the good work Phil.

• edited October 2021

@micra said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Couple of ageing goons in front of me seemed to doing their best to get thrown out after a steward had the gall to ask the poor sunflowers if they'd mind keeping the stairway free. Perhaps the bright yellow was a little too subtle for their inebriated minds.

[deleted by admin]

Tom is a harmless guy, passionate fan etc etc.
    But you can see why creating such a racket gets people's ire up.

I was at Shrewsbury and was surprised to see some other kid doing the drumming. Pretty much sounded the same to be honest - loud and pounding.

Tom then spent a good 10mins wandering up and down trying to get people up and cheering. Sort of endearing, sort of annoying.
    And bizarrely, late on, crouching down by the drum staring at it, for minutes on end, as his mate pounded it, while the action went on behind his back.

Each to their own way of support!!

• I understand our other drummer is called Paul and that he is a “serious upgrade” - as in newly box commanding Ryan Allsop to David Stockdale - but whether he was the drummer admired by Tom from a crouching position (lovely image) I really don’t know.

• @micra said:
    I understand our other drummer is called Paul and that he is a “serious upgrade” - as in newly box commanding Ryan Allsop to David Stockdale - but whether he was the drummer admired by Tom from a crouching position (lovely image) I really don’t know.

Nope. This was just a younger pal of Tom.

• Incredible optimism from McCarthy, celebrating before Thompson had even hit the ball.

Certainly wasn't an easy finish with so many bodies in the way.

• @Malone said:
    Incredible optimism from McCarthy, celebrating before Thompson had even hit the ball.

Certainly wasn't an easy finish with so many bodies in the way.

From the terrace it looked to sit up for him in the way Bean's did, hold breath, slight pause, roar, never in doubt.

He said he had been practicing shooting from the edge of the box, good on him.

• There's certainly been some great photos and videos from Saturday !

• On the cctv watch Gaz ‘hit’ it as Curtis lines up to shoot.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    On the cctv watch Gaz ‘hit’ it as Curtis lines up to shoot.

He really does! What a guy!

• Has our third goal been credited yet? Think it was an OG sadly. This JJ corner wasn't heading in and no touch from Tafa.

• Our traditional 3-2 wins are nice, but 4-3s are something special!

2017-18: v Carlisle....promoted
    2019-20 v Southend....promoted
    2021-22 v Morecambe....?????

I may be missing one from the L2 promotion season onwards, but I can't think of any offhand.

• Were Scunthorpe and Crewe both 3-2? The CMS game and the Nathan Tyson game.

• @floyd said:
    Were Scunthorpe and Crewe both 3-2? The CMS game and the Nathan Tyson game.

Yep! Scunthorpe from 2-0 down inside 10 minutes, I think? It was certainly 1-0 after a matter of seconds.

• Other rousing 3-2 comebacks include Doncaster (2018-19, I think?) and Huddersfield from last season, a rare away two goal comeback win. I think MK Dons at home in 2019-20 was a comeback too, but can't remember? I know we were 1-0 up, but can't remember if we fell 2-1 behind or kept nosing in front?

• edited October 2021

@DJWYC14 said:
    Has our third goal been credited yet? Think it was an OG sadly. This JJ corner wasn't heading in and no touch from Tafa.

Opta still have it down as Taf's. Idk how quickly they get changed - definitely looked like an OG.

• On me hols just logged in to find we still have not decided who the Gasroom will award the third goal to! Can I mention Stewart's fantastic cross for the Vokes goal - he demanded the ball was passed to him - and Vokes setting up the second (sadly untaken) chance for Horgan? If Sam does not score another goal if he's in the front three and we keep winning, he'll do for me!

• If you zoom in, you can just make out the Hamburglar sneaking out of the terrace with what look like a pair of drumsticks.

• What had Taffazoli done wrong that, such that Stockdale ignores him to go celebrate with the sub's from the bench? Taff does well to angle his run to cover the snub but it leaves him all alone. Even Stewart makes a late run away from Taff to join the rest of the players.

• I’ve been worried about Taffs bonding post goals generally. The third JJ/OG/Taff goal he runs back to the half way line not acknowledging the corner flag celebrations or indeed the terrace going nuts. All very strange. It does always seem to be ‘all about him’. Does he think he’s too good for this league?

• Isn’t there some weird rule that you need to have an outfield player in your own half otherwise the opposition are allowed to start play?

• They couldn't restart play anyway as JJ had hold of the ball in the huddle.

In the club photo gallery from Saturday there is one showing the 3rd goal as the ball crosses the line and neither the defender nor Taff are close with both well in front of the line. As there is video evidence that it hits the defender and deflects into the net I'm sure it must go down as an OG.

• To be fair when Taff scored on Tuesday he hardly celebrated. Just ran back ready for kick off. I like that in a centre back.

• @floyd said:
    To be fair when Taff scored on Tuesday he hardly celebrated. Just ran back ready for kick off. I like that in a centre back.

Pretty much the anti-Roger Johnson.

• @Vincey said:
    Isn’t there some weird rule that you need to have an outfield player in your own half otherwise the opposition are allowed to start play?

In a word - No

Law 8 states

For every kick-off:
    all players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play

• @perfidious_albion said:
    All very strange. It does always seem to be ‘all about him’. Does he think he’s too good for this league?

Or are you reading too much into things?

• @Twizz said:
    What had Taffazoli done wrong that, such that Stockdale ignores him to go celebrate with the sub's from the bench? Taff does well to angle his run to cover the snub but it leaves him all alone. Even Stewart makes a late run away from Taff to join the rest of the players.

Just to be clear, this was meant as a joke!

• Taffs actually IS too good for this league - but hopefully that helps us get out of it!