Skip to content

Ringing The Blues

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    @LX1 T'Pau are from Shrewsbury

Edit: Often Phil's choice of background music for that section is more like a late rounds Only Connect question, so I was trying to think of some kind of connection between Shrewsbury and China, or china. Or hands.

Last round is missing vowel round so would be T'P

• Weirdly T’Pau featured in an Only Connect question tonight

• Pretty sure Phil’s got an inside source. My guess is Victoria.

• @Chris said:
    Weirdly T’Pau featured in an Only Connect question tonight

I was desparately hoping that Eric Morecambe had sung 'I'm a little teapot' and the link was last 4 Wycombe victories.

• Wycombe Wanderers as an answer on Only Connect is surely imminent...

• I've got a question for @bluntphil (and @glasshalffull actually) which is prompted by me listening over and over again to the joyous commentary of the winning goal from the weekend. When moments happen like that does part of you wish you were just behind the goal (or wherever you watch the game from) just going mad like the rest of us, or as a commentator would you much prefer to be calling the action from behind the mic?

• @bluntphil said:
    Wycombe Wanderers as an answer on Only Connect is surely imminent...

We've been an answer on Pointless before.

• @eric_plant That's a great question. I really miss the terrace, mainly for the laughs, being able to say what you like, swearing and having a beer or two before the games.

Covering the matches has many plus sides though. When I started helping out a few years back, I didn't think that I'd still be doing it now or about the impact it would have on my life though.

• I must admit there was a media job at AP going not that long ago and I half considered applying but then when I saw the list of duties thought it would probably curtail my actual football watching and therefore be far less enjoyable than I imagined.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I must admit there was a media job at AP going not that long ago and I half considered applying but then when I saw the list of duties thought it would probably curtail my actual football watching and therefore be far less enjoyable than I imagined.

In seasons not too far distant curtailing football watching at Adams Park sounds a plus

• Don’t know how to put images on here from my phone, but Phil has asked on the FB group for questions to Steve Hayes /if/ he were to interview him on a future pod. I’m sure the Gasroom would have some good questions for him.

• edited October 2021

@JohnBoy said:
    Don’t know how to put images on here from my phone, but Phil has asked on the FB group for questions to Steve Hayes /if/ he were to interview him on a future pod. I’m sure the Gasroom would have some good questions for him.

Several years down the line does he see Wycombe as an opportunity missed or a bullet dodged?

I never felt ill will towards him, I felt more so towards his enablers who’s colours have been exposed a little clearer since. I voted against him as I felt what he was trying to do was wrong, ill advised, selfish and bound for failure. What happened in the end was inevitable and I felt both fans and SH were largely at polar opposites by that point.

• It's a bit worrying that Sharky Hayes has remerged publicly in recent months. VIP treatment at The Ethihad, Ringing the blues offering the possibility of airtime to Mr Hayes, for what reason does he now feel the need to explain his previous actions ????
    I was once informed that Mr Hayes had purchased a lot of land, near to booker airport, and close to where the proposed access road was to be built to his doomed Stade de Shark.
    I'm not sure how accurate this information is, or whether people can check the land registry records.
    I think most people would feel a lot more comfortable if the Couhigs would publicly distance themselves from Mr Hayes.

• I think I would prefer Phil not to give Steve the airtime.

We have new owners in the Couhigs along with the Trust who are looking forward and not backward.

As a Trust member he is entitled to attend meetings and should be treated accordingly, however you have to ask yourself why he is still on the sidelines.

If the Couhigs or the Trust ever give him opportunities at our club again then I would have to think long and hard about what I did on a Saturday afternoon.

• @ChasHarps said:
    It's a bit worrying that Sharky Hayes has remerged publicly in recent months. VIP treatment at The Ethihad, Ringing the blues offering the possibility of airtime to Mr Hayes, for what reason does he now feel the need to explain his previous actions ????

That’s a great question.
    Other than to delve back in time and learn from a dark chapter in our history so it is never repeated again, I see no reason why Mr Hayes is relevant again.

• But I guess that, and the “what’s the angle here” question is more towards Phil than Steve.

• He was at White Hart Lane for the 4-3 a few years ago and has been at numerous trust meetings.

• Questions could include:

Did he buy himself something nice when Ibe signed for Bournemouth, and why did he think he was entitled to get so much of "his" money back when the club didn't have a pot to piss in after he left having almost bankrupted us?
    If the Wasps sale couldn't be concluded successfully would he have left us dangling forever or put us into administration?
    Did he have any idea what was being spent on Wasps as opposed to Wycombe at the time?
    Does he think we should still not worry about his level of spending as it was supposedly all his money?
    Was he anywhere near securing the money to pay for the stadium we didn't need and couldn't have afforded to operate?
    Does he still have any of the inflatable sticks and did he specifically pay for all of the attempts to advertise his loans company? How are his old customers doing?

• Garath McCleary sounds like a lovely bloke.

• Great work as ever, lovely to hear from Darius again.

• GMac being asked about winning 7 home league wins in the league: ‘oh, nice, let’s go win number 8 too’. How can anybody not love having this guy at our wonderful club.

• Darius is probably the only pro footballer who could get away with describing himself as a ‘cultural architect.’

• Having McLeary almost feels unfair on the other teams in the division. I thought he would move on when we were relegated, as he is clearly too good for L1. Instead, we get to see him play League One FIFA set to 'Easy' mode.

Oh, and he's only on pace for 20 goals.

• Agree @Shev and though the Hanlan/Horgan debate has begun...how lucky we are to have both players, plus McLeary and Sam Vokes for what will be a long, hard season.

• edited October 2021

@Shev said:
    Having McLeary almost feels unfair on the other teams in the division. I thought he would move on when we were relegated, as he is clearly too good for L1. Instead, we get to see him play League One FIFA set to 'Easy' mode.

Oh, and he's only on pace for 20 goals.

He’s actually 80/1 at the bookies to top the L1 scoring charts this season. Vokes is 25/1.

• RTB is a treasure. Helps the Monday work commute fly by. Another reason we are lucky to be WW fans. Cheers Phil

• I really do want to listen to every FA Cup draw in that format from now on please @bluntphil.