Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    I see perennial bookies' favourites for promotion Portsmouth are setting the league on fire again.

I stand to be corrected but I’m not sure they were particularly fancied this season, certainly not as much as they have been previously anyway.

• @davecz said:
    Poor game but great result. Look pretty sterile upfront. Without McClearly , we lack creativity.

McCleary has been our standout this year, but it was encouraging to score twice without him on the pitch tonight.

• Lots of games don't live long in the memory and the important thing is picking up the 3 points, ans tonight was one of them

The league table is slightly misleading at the moment as some teams have played 6 home and only 3 away, whereas other such as is have only played 3 at home with 6 away.

We are well set, trundling along nicely and looking good for the long season ahead

• @drcongo said:

@jessvl1 said:
    Been said already but Hanlan but has been brilliant. I do hate those slow floated corners though from their no. 3!

Yeah, I’m really impressed with Hanlan tonight. Seems much stronger than he looks.

He looks strong doesn't he? Or do you rate his strength at Bayo levels :)

• Wasn't great but always felt we were going to take the 3 points. Was getting a bit twitchy at the end though!

Went for Stockdale on the motm vote, can't remember any brilliant saves but does the basics well and it's rare to see him make a mistake.

Took my youngest daughter who's 3 tonight to her first match and she loved it. We did move seats 2nd half though to get away from the drum.

• Just watched the highlights - what a ball into the box that was from Sully for the second.

Hats off to the travelling fans to.

• I can see by the Shrewsbury boss wasn’t best pleased about our opener. The ref was in a great position too and we would be fuming had that been scored against us. That said, after some of the officiating we have suffered over the past season and a bit, we deserve to have some go our way.

• I thought Vokes was ok today. He had at least 2 defenders on him at all times, and doesn't have a chest the size of the equator like Bayo to hold them off as well as him.

His game is mainly getting on to the end of cross, which we struggled to put in because the pitch was the size of a letter box.

• The biggest takeaway from last night was how important Obita is to our line up in that formation. Jason McCarthy struggled to provide enough down that wing and is clearly not a LWB. This made us a bit lopsided. Hopefully he's back Saturday.

Winning when playing poorly. Excellent

• @Gary said:

I can see by the Shrewsbury boss wasn’t best pleased about our opener. The ref was in a great position too and we would be fuming had that been scored against us. That said, after some of the officiating we have suffered over the past season and a bit, we deserve to have some go our way.

I'd laugh about this if it weren't inevitable we'll be on the end of one at some point. Utterly inept.

• edited September 2021

@Gary said:

I can see by the Shrewsbury boss wasn’t best pleased about our opener. The ref was in a great position too and we would be fuming had that been scored against us. That said, after some of the officiating we have suffered over the past season and a bit, we deserve to have some go our way.

Handball? Maybe it's my phone but can't really be 100% sure from that clip, and the ref is about 3cm from it!

• FmGFmG
    edited September 2021

Definitely can't tell from that if it is hand or thigh, didn't even cross my mind last night on iFollow that it may have been handball

• Mustn't question the referee's decision, because the only alternative is apparently VAR.

• On another note, it looks an even lovelier piece of work from JJ than it looked live from behind the goal.

Who else has a left back/left sided centre back who scores from outside the box!

• I might be old school but winning but 'it wasn't pretty' gets us into the play-offs, I'll take it. I must have missed a lot of our pretty games!?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I might be old school but winning but 'it wasn't pretty' gets us into the play-offs, I'll take it. I must have missed a lot of our pretty games!?

Someone on the fb group called it bang on, although I thought it was slightly negative at the time
    He said we were clearly trying to keep it goalless for an hour or so and then win it

Bang on from Gareth.
    If we can cut out letting teams back in, making it slightly stressy late on we could be a force.

9 league games with only 3 at home is particularly mad.
    We've only had 1 home game called off after all.

• still looks to me like a lovely touch by Jacobson on his hip/thigh to tee it up.

A good old-style Wycombe performance last night. Good to rest some players and give others (Hanlan, Kaikai, McCarthy) an outing. And to play a style and formation to get a result against that opposition.

Now let's get back to the beautiful game on Saturday.

• I suppose it should be said that we still haven't fielded our "best" lineup for this formation yet either.

One that includes Obita and McCarthy at wingback and also Taf and Stewart at the same time.

• Kaikai hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but you can't argue with his contributions towards the two goals last night! Does well to get a dangerous ball into the box leading to the first, and the free-kick for the second is sublime.

• @therabbittest said:
    Kaikai hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but you can't argue with his contributions towards the two goals last night! Does well to get a dangerous ball into the box leading to the first, and the free-kick for the second is sublime.

He might not have set the world alight, but it was his corner for Stewart to score at Wigan and he teed up Pendlebury's first at Cheltenham. I make that 3 assists in 4 starts away from home, which is pretty handy really.

• @Glenny said:

@therabbittest said:
    Kaikai hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but you can't argue with his contributions towards the two goals last night! Does well to get a dangerous ball into the box leading to the first, and the free-kick for the second is sublime.

He might not have set the world alight, but it was his corner for Stewart to score at Wigan and he teed up Pendlebury's first at Cheltenham. I make that 3 assists in 4 starts away from home, which is pretty handy really.

Good point, there'll be no arguments from me if he keeps popping up with useful assists.

• edited September 2021

No Wycombe player who completed the game had fewer touches of the ball than McCarthy, who I forgot was playing for large periods.

• Hopefully this on Saturday:

Stockdale

Stewart
    Taf
    JJ

McCarthy
    Thompson
    Scowen
    Obita

Horgan
    GMac

Vokes

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully this on Saturday:

Stockdale

Stewart
    Taf
    JJ

McCarthy
    Thompson
    Scowen
    Obita

Horgan
    GMac

Vokes

Yep, that would be my team as well

• edited September 2021

For me, the most enjoyable element of the side so far has been the link-up between Obita and McCleary. They've spent most of their careers playing together and it shows. That kind of instinctive understanding is invaluable.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    No Wycombe player who completed the game had fewer touches of the ball than McCarthy, who I forgot was playing for large periods.

Tough gig in that position.
    There was one instance he had the ball, loads of space. If it had been on the right he'd have bombed on, but being on the left cut in and played conservatively.

Hopefully he's back to right wing back next game.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully this on Saturday:

Stockdale

Stewart
    Taf
    JJ

McCarthy
    Thompson
    Scowen
    Obita

Horgan
    GMac

Vokes

Yep, that would be my team as well

The problem with that team though is it involves dropping Grimmer, who really hasn't done much wrong this season. He also looked far more comfortable in that RWB slot last night than I expected. The Grimmer/McCarthy conundrum is going to be a challenge I think this season for GA - both are far too good to sit on the bench at this level.

• Bear in mind that JJ will need a rest at times too, and we will inevitably pick up injuries. If Grimmer is benched on Saturday, he won't have to wait long at all to get back in the team.

• Can you remember when we did not have to worry about the feelings of a benched player just the empty seats on the bench?

• edited September 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    Can you remember when we did not have to worry about the feelings of a benched player just the empty seats on the bench?

Last time I went to Shrewsbury was a great example. In the league 2 play off final season.
    Tiny squad and I think it might have been 2 games in 3 days or something around Christmas as we got there to find just 4 subs with Wood and Hayes maybe on the bench?
    0-0 and they had a late goal ruled out for offside.