Skip to content

Daryl Horgan

Daryl Horgan is undoubtedly a talented player but his lack of goals is a worrying factor as we move through the season. I read somewhere that he has failed to score in his last 50 league appearances and that does seem extraordinary and maybe that stat needs confirming by someone like @ReturnToSenda.
My own view is he is someone who plays in that front three of ours and does a lot of good work and can thread some real great passes but his finishing is pretty poor.
Thoughts?

Comments

• I think he's having a terrific season and is absolutely crucial to how we play

• And he has been so close on so many occasions. That curled shot just back the top left corner of the goal was almost there. I believe when the goal (inevitably) comes then the flood gates should open. Confidence is key.

• Yeah, no league goals for Wycombe yet - but it's not that much of a concern as that's not his role. He's started the season very well and contributes in other key ways on and off the ball. Maybe he's the next Beany... No goals in 100-odd appearances, was it? Then two in two.

• He's been fantastic this season so far, can't believe some still doubt him

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, no league goals for Wycombe yet - but it's not that much of a concern as that's not his role. He's started the season very well and contributes in other key ways on and off the ball. Maybe he's the next Beany... No goals in 100-odd appearances, was it? Then two in two.

Do we know how many assists he has in a Wycombe shirt? And I agree he's a top player.

• I'm a big fan. No goals yet this season, but I'm sure he'll get one soon. He's notched up a few assists already and he's typically involved in our best moments in a game.

• Great player to have in the team. It is true we need a few others to step up with goals but at some point it will click!

• Some players you cheer and applaud everything they do and then you look at their stats and it reads goals nil, assists nil. And you go 'oh' but they do try a lot.
    Against Charlton he got put clean through and still fluffed his lines. He needs to get a goal, plain and simple. He's not paid to try. If someone wants to come in with a stat to say that he was responsible for creating x amount of our goals I will take it but I can think of one off the top of my head.

• If we're going to get into the play offs / automatic spots this season, it will be down to Horgan, McCleary and Vokes clicking. So far only McCleary is firing on all cylinders but the other two have already displayed the Championship-level quality they still possess, without quite getting the end product right. What will make it all click is time on the pitch together, rather than chopping and changing. It means Hanlan, Kaikai and Mehmeti may have to spend more time on the bench than they'd like but that's football.

• Didn't Daryl have a perfectly good goal chalked off at home v Derby last season?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Didn't Daryl have a perfectly good goal chalked off at home v Derby last season?

Yep... had that goal counted, as it should've done, we'd have stayed up

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub is spot on. We have so many attacking players who are brilliant at things other than scoring goals and earn their place as a result. If you looked at the starting lineup on Saturday, the only players in front of the three CBs you would have thought had any genuine likelihood of scoring were McLeary (primarily) and Vokes (secondarily). This is not really new, and tends to mean we are very strong defensively but always tend to rely on a couple of attackers plus JJ and headers from the CBs to get goals on the board.

We still have enough to contend, and McCarthy will help, but part of the reason I am optimistic for the future is that Mehmeti and Hanlan do look like they have goals in them once they are undisputed starters, and if Pendlebury develops into a first XI player, we know he can find the back of the net.

• ...and cue beating Shrewsbury 3-0 with goals from Thompson, Scowen and Horgan!

• He's excellent to watch, but his lack of goals is getting a bit frustrating- because it's so obvious he has the pace, skill and ball striking to score a decent amount of goals at this level. I'm sure it will come, but at some point it could cost himself a spot in the side if Mehmeti can find the net- we need all 3 of our attackers giving a genuine goal threat if we can.

• Great player, works hard, creates loads of opportunities and ties up the defence. Goals will come.

• edited September 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Some players you cheer and applaud everything they do and then you look at their stats and it reads goals nil, assists nil. And you go 'oh' but they do try a lot.
    Against Charlton he got put clean through and still fluffed his lines. He needs to get a goal, plain and simple. He's not paid to try. If someone wants to come in with a stat to say that he was responsible for creating x amount of our goals I will take it but I can think of one off the top of my head.

Off the top of my head, the pass for McCleary's second in the first game of the season (v. Accrington).

• Probably my favourite player atm, he's been fantastic this season and I'm sure he'll get a goal soon.

• edited September 2021

Two assists from 4.73 expected assists (see explainer below) last season - our most creative player apart from JJ, so quite possibly the most creative outright from open play (I'm not able to separate the numbers by OP/SP).

• I'm not trying to be part of a witch hunt about Horgan, I think he is a massive talent, so whats wrong? From the stat above from @ReturnToSenda am I reading that right 2 assists? And our second most creative player last season? WHAT? That's mental if I've read that right.

• edited September 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub Two assists but more than twice that in terms of expected assists - which is a useful metric as actual assists are obviously dependent on the actions of the goalscorer to quite a large degree. He created quite a lot - not his fault our finishing (his own aside) was so shoddy for much of the season!

• I must admit in the iFollow season I was quite disappointed with Darryl Horgan, but live you can see all the work he does and he's had a couple of near misses. Exciting to watch and he puts the wind up the opposition...just needs one to get going I think.

• I do think there is definitely going to be 'The Daryl Horgan Game' at some point.

• He's almost always available to receive the ball when we are in possession, and the work he puts in closing down the opposition when we are not is second to none.

He, McCleary and Vokes are a class apart at this level and if they can all stay fit we will go up

• Hope it’s this afternoon @Shev. See what I did there ? You’ll be watching, no doubt and I’m assuming I’ll be able to watch via iFollow on my ancient (but still serviceable) lap top.

• And comes across a thoroughly nice bloke.

• @bigred87 said:
    And comes across a thoroughly nice bloke.

that's almost a given under the current regime. And what a joy that makes it to be a Wycombe supporter

• 3 assists this season so far isn't it? 2 for McCleary against Accrington and the late cross for De Barr at Stevenage in the League Cup.

• @Shev said:
    I do think there is definitely going to be 'The Daryl Horgan Game' at some point.

Opening day against Accy felt like The Daryl Horgan Game to me. His short passing and vision were off the charts that day, and he's barely dipped below that level since. He's having an absolute cracker of a season and I find it very odd that we're judging him on goals scored.

• Tonight would be the ideal night to score. Then we could have the (very) limited edition "I was there when Horgan scored his 1st" T-Shirt.

• He was superb against Charlton. Not just in his skill and clever passing but also his energy, particularly at the start of the second half, which contributed so much to keeping us on the front foot.