Skip to content

International Weekends

Comments

• That description of Staycation might get amended , think it's fairly widely (if incorrectly) used to describe holidays in the UK due to border shizzle

• Little known fact, I was the Sportmanteau World Champion in 2004. My winning word was utopiary.

• @micra That's a straycation.

• @drcongo said:
    Little known fact, I was the Sportmanteau World Champion in 2004. My winning word was utopiary.

Perfectly formed shrubbery?

• @drcongo said:
    @micra That's a straycation.

Brilliant! Wish I’d thought of that. My version does reflect the sound I uttered when I saw Sevenoaks on the signpost though. Also reminded me of that old joke about an Indian gentleman complaining in the bank about disappointing interest rates. “Fluctuations” was the teller’s explanation.“ And f**k you British “ was the instant response.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
    Little known fact, I was the Sportmanteau World Champion in 2004. My winning word was utopiary.

Perfectly formed shrubbery?

Exactly.

• If we get 3 called up this time, will we postpone our match?

When are the squads all announced?

• @Commoner said:
    If we get 3 called up this time, will we postpone our match?

Let's really hope not!
    As Mehmeti will have missed 3 games, does he actually qualify as one of our 3 for this?
    Or am I mixing up rules with internationals and the Papa?

• We should just play on as all this International Break rubbish just messes up any momentum.

• edited September 2021

We haven't got such an injury crisis now, so I assume (hope ?) we'll play it.

• @Malone said:

@Commoner said:
    If we get 3 called up this time, will we postpone our match?

Let's really hope not!
    As Mehmeti will have missed 3 games, does he actually qualify as one of our 3 for this?
    Or am I mixing up rules with internationals and the Papa?

I think the rule is in the matchday squad for 5 out of the last 8. neither DeBarr or Mehmeti meet that requirement this time around.

• edited September 2021

Does this mean Anis can lamp someone and miss the league games ban by being on International Duty? :smile:

• It will be interesting to see what happens next. Who knows maybe Kaikai, Vokes and Horgan get called up this time...

• Sierra Leone don't have any games this time, but I expect the red list stopped Kaikai from going last time. Hopefully he makes it to the AFCON, though!

• Horgan called up to the Ireland squad. That’s 1

• De Barr drops out of Gibraltar squad - implied by Wycombe's tweet that he's in contention to play tonight. Perhaps De Barr reasoned that now he's fit it would be better for him to fight for his first team place during the international break rather than risk another injury for Gibraltar in 2 games that he's not likely to see much of the ball in.

• I imagine the Gibraltarian equivalent of Roy Keane is absolutely DISGUSTED that he's rejected the chance to play for his country like that.

• Nah most people in Gibraltar are just delighted they have a pro and think that if he can secure a regular first team spot this week, it'll help his future performances at national level. They'd probably do the same for the EFL players in their U17s squad too (they have players from Derby, Rotherham and Fleetwood at that level now, plus someone from the Cadiz youth team so a fair bit of potential).

• @inflikted said:
    Nah most people in Gibraltar are just delighted they have a pro and think that if he can secure a regular first team spot this week, it'll help his future performances at national level. They'd probably do the same for the EFL players in their U17s squad too (they have players from Derby, Rotherham and Fleetwood at that level now, plus someone from the Cadiz youth team so a fair bit of potential).

Haha, yeah, I'm sure they are! Is he the only pro in the current squad?

• Sierra Leone don't have any fixtures - not even a friendly from what I can see - but Wycombe official Twitter said Kaikai had been called up for international duty. Seems a bit odd. Can players be called up just for a training session?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Sierra Leone don't have any fixtures - not even a friendly from what I can see - but Wycombe official Twitter said Kaikai had been called up for international duty. Seems a bit odd. Can players be called up just for a training session?

Three friendlies all being played in Morocco - which isn't on the red list, otherwise I assume he would have sat out again.

• Cheers. Couldn't find anything about them playing.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Cheers. Couldn't find anything about them playing.

Yeah, I had to ask Matt Cecil. South Sudan, Gambia and Morocco all in Casablanca - prize for the first person to find a stream!

• No river in Casablanca. Desert innit.

• Of all the forums in all the world.

• @drcongo said:
    Of all the forums in all the world.

There needs to be an actual prize for this post.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@inflikted said:
    Nah most people in Gibraltar are just delighted they have a pro and think that if he can secure a regular first team spot this week, it'll help his future performances at national level. They'd probably do the same for the EFL players in their U17s squad too (they have players from Derby, Rotherham and Fleetwood at that level now, plus someone from the Cadiz youth team so a fair bit of potential).

Haha, yeah, I'm sure they are! Is he the only pro in the current squad?

Nah there's Louie Annesley at Blackburn Rovers too. A few of Lincoln's players are on pro contracts, especially with them in European competition this season. But as Louie is only in Blackburn's U23s and didn't get a loan due to their lack of transfer activity in the summer, Tjay is technically the highest level player at the moment. That is unless Carlos Richards somehow reaches the Derby first team at the age of 16 (considering their financial situation and probably need to sell players in Jan, can't rule it out tbh)

• @DevC said:
    No river in Casablanca. Desert innit.

Didn't you see "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen"? ??

• I'm sorry - I've only just caught up with this thread and so missed the stuff about portmanteau words. After giving appropriate kudos to Dr Congo for "utopiary", can I just say that one of my absolute favourite things is that the French for a portmanteau word is "mot valise", which makes absolutely no sense unless you understand the etymology.

The French saw portmanteau word and thought "that's a useful concept". But they couldn't call it a portmanteau, because, obviously, a portmanteau is a suitcase with a separate compartment for carrying your cloak (manteau). So "mot valise", which is a back translation of the English.

• The least accurate use of "obviously" in Gasroom history there