Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Simple equation that GA has mentioned time and again when we create chances we need to take them. Vokes should be p1ssing this league, Horgan has yet to score a goal, Kaikai doesn’t appear to be up to speed yet, Hanlan has yet to start, McCleary is our only regular threat. We quite simply need to score goals.

I’m quite happy with our start overall. The team looks strong in most positions and we’ve notched up a decent points total and I still think we can improve quite significantly. Home form looks excellent and away draws at Oxford and Wigan may look very good by the season’s end.

However, I think you rightly identify a slightly worrying lack of goals. We’ve needed a few great strikes from Pendlebury and GMac so far to win some games. That won’t happen every week so we need to start converting more chances inside the box. Obvious example today was Vokes’ opportunity. Must get some better crosses in, make more of some of the good flick-one we’re winning, and then convert chances more consistently in and around the six yard box. I’d hoped we’d look a bit more threatening at set pieces too with Taff, Stewart, Vokes etc attacking JJ’s crosses.

• If we are going to rely on Vokes, then he has to score and he has to score regularly. Its as simple as that. I've forgiven him some of his misses so far as he has barely played for 2 years but he has to deliver.

• At the moment I can't help but think Kaikai was a bit of a wasted signing. We don't even play the correct system for him. I'd like to see a more mobile front 3...perhaps Horgan, Hanlan, Kaikai?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    At the moment I can't help but think Kaikai was a bit of a wasted signing. We don't even play the correct system for him. I'd like to see a more mobile front 3...perhaps Horgan, Hanlan, Kaikai?

What and drop McCleary !?!? He's arguably been our best player so far

• @thecatwwfc said:
    At the moment I can't help but think Kaikai was a bit of a wasted signing. We don't even play the correct system for him. I'd like to see a more mobile front 3...perhaps Horgan, Hanlan, Kaikai?

I'm a bit confused...three players that have not as yet delivered should get the nod?

• I don’t think we have hit our stride yet, so confident we can still have a very good season. Some easier games coming up let’s see where we are in a month.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well said Fame46, makes a refreshing change to read the views of someone who understands the game after some of the utter nonsense on Facebook.

• The Facebook lot are not true supporters. We all knew this was going to be a very tough season especially with the spending power of some of the sides in league one.
    We have recruited wisely and together with the expansion of our development squad, we are building a structure for the future and that is very pleasing to see. Bigger picture stuff.
    I still think we will make the top six and that then we will see what happens at the very sharp end of the season. COYB!!!!!!

• Vokes wasn't unlucky - it was a poor finish, not for the first time this season - but it's not hard to see the impact he's had for us on the whole. Again, we're not even ten games in.

• Can we stop using the word unlucky when it comes to Horgan’s finishing. Almost 50 league appearances zero goals.

• edited September 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Can we stop using the word unlucky when it comes to Horgan’s finishing. Almost 50 league appearances zero goals.

As I suspected, the data pins him as our worst finisher since the start of last season. He should have had a few - and I'm almost beginning to subscribe to the 'If only he'd scored against Rotherham...' narrative a little bit.

• It is true some things are not coming off on the pitch but this is still the best team we've seen for a long time. We are never out if it at 1-0 which has not always been the case.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Vokes wasn't unlucky - it was a poor finish, not for the first time this season - but it's not hard to see the impact he's had for us on the whole. Again, we're not even ten games in.

Almost a mirror image of the chance vs Oxford. A bit of a cliche but at least he’s in those positions and as you say come the end of the season his contribution will be weighed on more than just goals.

Thought Bayo added something different when he came on and Hanlan was often on the end of his flick-ons.

I saw someone on here question our signing of Kaikai. We have to remember these players are on multi-season contracts and there’s every chance that neither Vokes or Bayo will be here next season, so the likes of Hanlan and Kaikai will get their chance. Doesn’t all have to happen at once.

Given the tough opening fixtures, I certainly would have taken 6th place with a game in hand at this stage.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Can we stop using the word unlucky when it comes to Horgan’s finishing. Almost 50 league appearances zero goals.

As I suspected, the data pins him as our worst finisher since the start of last season. He should have had a few - and I'm almost beginning to subscribe to the 'If only he'd scored against Rotherham...' narrative a little bit.

I think you could extend that narrative to the first 8 or so games of last season in general.

That said, despite not scoring, Horgan has looked dangerous in every game so far and is still a rare player to have at this level. I’d be lying if I didn’t love the image of Mehmeti and McLeary in that narrow two, but Horgan I think has done a good job so far.

• To be fair Horgan did score a good legitimate goal against Derby that was a victim of the worst of the plethora of dodgy officialdom last season.

• @Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I'm a bit confused...three players that have not as yet delivered should get the nod?

Not sure where I said drop McCleary to whoever questioned that. I'd play him in the 3 behind.

Please tell me the other 2 that HAVE delivered.

• So 4-3-3?

• edited September 2021

@Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Never mentioned dropping McCleary.

Stockdale
    Grimmer Stewart Taff JJ
    Scowen Thompson
    McCleary
    Kaikai Hanlan Horgan

• We should definitely get promoted with that team, but I think there might be a few complaints.

• And now my comment makes no sense!

• @Chris said:
    We should definitely get promoted with that team, but I think there might be a few complaints.

It's only a topic of discussion. But of course you're not allowed to make such unreasonable suggestions on this message board. Leaves people "confused".

I'm more confused as to why we signed Kaikai

• Imagine putting a lineup up without Vokes in it.
    Amazing.

• I think we signed Kaikai because he’s a good player who will do well for us in the future

• I think we're currently work in progress but are eventualy looking to be able to offer at least two or three serious playing styles in order to remain on the Championship. League 1 is a difficult division as there is a real mish mash of styles from opposition teams and we have to match and beat that. Getting promoted from this division is a real test for any team and may require a sprinkling of luck too!

• @Malone said:
    Imagine putting a lineup up without Vokes in it.
    Amazing.

To me Vokes would work better with a striker alongside him, a small nippy one, Crewe has one that people are saying nice things about. Alternatively we need to get crosses to him on regular basis and that involves using Horgan, Kaikai or McCleary as wingers. Neither option seem to be favoured.

• I think two up top worked great in the last part of last season in this formation. So we should certainly be using that as much as a lone striker option, if not more.

Perhaps the 3-4-2-1 is preferred at the moment to get both Horgan and McCleary in the team. This is certainly a good option, and to be fair we haven’t had our best wing back option in the side yet (McCarthy) to get quality into the box.

The option would certainly be 3-4-1-2 with Hanlan alongside Vokes. Vokes flick ons are excellent and Hanlan has shown already that he is a talent. I think with a run in the side he could be an excellent player for us. I still don’t understand letting Kashket go, there must have been more to that than we know as his pace would’ve also been an excellent option alongside Vokes. McCleary could play in behind and I still think Horgan would be an excellent option at left wing back.

• We could take something from Man City game against us. Their front five was so good, fluid movement and danger everywhere you looked.

Play 5 up front that are quick, creative and allowed to play anywhere they like. All interchanging. Torres acted as a bit of a fulcrum at times, so Hanlan or Kaikai might need to do that.

McCleary, Hanlan, Mehmeti, Kaikai and Horgan.

If Vokes plays as the fulcrum then Horgan drops out for me.

Three at the back, leaves two more to break play up. I’d play Wheeler and Scowen, as Wheeler offers goals.

• edited September 2021

That's a hell of a lot easier said than done when you don't have players of that quality or the greatest coach of all time!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The stats show it would have been a tad unfair on them who shall not be named if we had come away with anything. 11 v 11 a hard game, 11 v 10 its no wonder they had an overwhelming amount of the game regardless of our tactics

As a poor man’s @ReturnToSenda, I tend to pore over the stats (BBC version) whilst listening to commentary and I’m afraid the possession percentages were in the order of 80:20 long before Stewart was sent off. I also commented on here during the first half that the free-flowing on-the-floor football that we enjoyed so much for the last couple of months of last season seemed to have eluded us.

Of all the comments I have been catching up with this afternoon, those from @ValleyWanderer struck home particularly forcibly because he is one of the most positive, perceptive observers I know. I don’t have a bucket list but, if I did, watching Wycombe at Adams Park in the Championship would certainly feature and the dawning realisation that, for me, the only realistic chance of that happening is for us to be promoted in May is not a happy one !