Skip to content

Ainsworth approach today

Today we are away at a top team, above us in the league. In my view Ainsworth definitely went to Oxford looking for a point and was happy to stop Oxford playing (and piss Karl Robinson off!). Will he do the same today or will we see a bit more football like the Sunderland performance?

Comments

• He’ll be going there to win.

• Get that ginger tosser sent off and go from there imo

• @micra I do hope you're right. I fear another nil nil as Gareth reasons that away draws against the better teams are sufficient so long as we win at Adams Park

• I can’t see this one being 0-0 but my 3-1 to Wycombe, based on the return of McCarthy and that prodigious quartet of McCarthy, McCleary, Horgan and Vokes (with “McMessi” straining at the leash) does feel slightly over-optimistic!

• edited September 2021

I expect we'll press aggressively but in a more measured manner than v Lincoln - who MK play the same way as but actually well.

• Smart money would be on a 0-0 or 1-1.

Like the Oxford game we usually are quite cautious in these games, I hope that we are a bit more expansive today, we have the players to hurt anyone in this league now.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Get that ginger tosser sent off and go from there imo

Is lewington still there? Feels like it'd been about 20 years or so now

• Agreed that we settled for a draw in the second half at Oxford but had by far the better chances in the first. Same starting 11 as last Saturday for me. I noticed Horgan limping for a while eon Tuesday, hopefully his okay. If not toss up between Hanlan and Mehmeti

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Yep! And still a regular starter.

• So you wouldn’t start with McCarthy?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

37 now and had a brief caretaker manager spell apparently.
    Could be the last chance to witness his unique blend of fair play and good spirit.
    Bayo can give him an awkward 20mins otherwise.

• @micra said:
    So you wouldn’t start with McCarthy?

I think he probably had a hard race on Tuesday @micra

• I note that Lewington has followed the Jacobson route (exactly) so, yes, he could find himself in an interesting tussle with Bayo.

• @FlyingPostman said:
    @micra I do hope you're right. I fear another nil nil as Gareth reasons that away draws against the better teams are sufficient so long as we win at Adams Park

And Gareth is right. Win at home and draw away is a proven formula for winning promotion and it would be madness to be too cavalier against the division’s top scorers. I’d be satisfied with a draw but I can’t see it being 0-0.

• At Oxford, we had a few decent chances, weathered a fair storm of pressure, then had a bit of our own in the last 10mins.
    Something similar today is probably on the cards, but hopefully we can put more attacking highlights in.

• Agreed, I think that most would prefer a nil nil rather than an entertaining goal fest defeat. Looking forward to it immensely

• This thread title feels like the sort of thing you'd expect to read after the game, when we've not won!

• edited September 2021

To kind of sum up how ridiculous this league is, MK are one of nine sides who've scored AND conceded double figures so far.

• But yeah, they are the best attacking team in the league - even more threatening than Sunderland.

• I think we'll know fairly early based on how central McCleary plays, if he's out wide covering the full back we will probably only attack in patches, if we're getting him around Vokes early we could be in for some fun.
    Having said that there may be a plan to stay deep for 20/30 minutes to keep them quiet, or something completely different. These threads are always interesting but a little pointless with no insider info.

• The four goals at Priestfield were against a team down to 10 men for 70 minutes and with only one win.

@Malone - without the ‘s after his name in the OP, my instant reaction was that it was going to be the hundredth rumoured approach for his signature. A clever tease by @FlyingPostman ?

• My apologies for the incorrect grammar @micra. I was simply wondering how GA would approach the the game. Nothing "clever" about my post.

• I’m not even sure that is even grammar @FlyingPostman ! Have to get @HCblue on the case. No, perhaps not.

• edited September 2021

Hanlan looks sharper now and will be a great option when Vokes needs to come off. Before Tuesday I he was clearly still adapting but after seeing his all round sharpness he’s now a great alternative.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Annoys me when he's said to be the longest-serving player currently in the EFL with the same club.
    He is if you count the old Wimbledon and MK as the same club, but as everyone knows they aren't, so until he announces his retirement, it has to be Matty B.