Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

I may have missed this being discussed but does anyone know if we are entering the competition this season? I believe we would have entered at the Quarter Final Stage in 2019/20

Comments

• I hope we do, would be a great chance to give our development players some competitive football

• I know we want things announced a bit earlier but the 2122 season is a century away

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I know we want things announced a bit earlier but the 2122 season is a century away

Bet Bloomfield is still playing.

• I don't think they will be asked until they have completed the first round / qualification rounds

• Reading and Franchise have submitted to play in this years competition, but as of last week I was told we have not. Rather hoping we do

• We have to submit a team. It is disrespectful not to now we have a larger squad.

• edited September 2021

I know we've got a lot of development players now, but we still don't have enough for a separate squad and quite a few of them overlap with the first team set-up. I'd rather we didn't play unnecessary extra fixtures - especially in a competition which should be reserved for non-League sides anyway imo.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I know we've got a lot of development players now, but we still don't have enough for a separate squad and quite a few of them overlap with the first team set-up. I'd rather we didn't play unnecessary extra fixtures - especially in a competition which should be reserved for non-League sides anyway imo.

This is a young/new fan old/tradition fan thing I think.
    I'm not particularly young but I agree with you on this.

Surely we've moved on from a regional competition such as this now?

• Can we field a team of randomly drawn fans? I could get behind that.

• It would be absurd not to enter this years competition, it's exactly the sort of game our development squad need.

• We should absolutely be entering this competition if allowed. Development squad should be allowed to play these games; just as Pep played his youngsters last night, this is our opportunity to play our youngsters in games that are more meaningful.

• With Kelly the club secretary leaving and the replacement yet to arrive I hope this hasn’t ‘slipped through the cracks’ . The club seem really down to bare bones in the back office vis phone answering, ticket sales et al.

• Of course we should enter !!

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

This is a young/new fan old/tradition fan thing I think.
    I'm not particularly young but I agree with you on this.

Surely we've moved on from a regional competition such as this now?

It's all very quaint, isn't it? And other clubs' development teams will be stronger opposition than most of what we'd face in the B&B anyway.

• I think we should enter, we've got first team players who aren't getting games, returning from injury etc and a bunch of development players, sure we can supplement them with trialists if needed, likely to be a bit of a competitive atmosphere that you don't get in behind closed doors against u-23 teams. Also good to get our name out in the local area and maybe spot a gem or two.

• In fairness, Dave Wates' goal against Hungerford was an iconic moment in our recent history. Maybe Pete could have a game this time.

• If Gareth feels it would be useful, do it
    If Gareth doesn't feel it would be useful, don't do it.

• WW apparently are hoping to forge better relationships with local football clubs. Participating in the B & B Cup is one way to do this, especially if the WW officials visit these other clubs & get to know the people who keep these clubs going.

• @A_Worboys said:
    WW apparently are hoping to forge better relationships with local football clubs. Participating in the B & B Cup is one way to do this, especially if the WW officials visit these other clubs & get to know the people who keep these clubs going.

Totally agree and our league status brings a certain interest from whoever we get drawn to play. As a club being humble and remembering and respecting our roots is much more important than some seem to think.

• Will we be able to pay cash in the 2122 Berks and bucks?

• If we were drawn at home in the B&B I'd go for sure, remember your roots... much better competition than the tinpot Cup or whatever its called

• PBoPBo
    edited September 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    I think we should enter, we've got first team players who aren't getting games, returning from injury etc and a bunch of development players, sure we can supplement them with trialists if needed, likely to be a bit of a competitive atmosphere that you don't get in behind closed doors against u-23 teams. Also good to get our name out in the local area and maybe spot a gem or two.

This.

I don't understand why you wouldn't give the dev squad and fringe players a chance at competitive football.

If we need to (and are allowed to) supplement with triallists then great, but we need to give the players we've signed a chance to prove what they can do, if we thought they were good enough to sign in the first place.

I believe we could put out a line-up similar to this:

Anderson (or Przybek)

Forino-Joseph
    Clark
    Ram
    Burley

Parsons
    Pendlebury
    Mehmeti
    Freeman**

**this midfield is probably too lightweight without another holding midfielder so realistically one of Scowen or Thompson would have to replace one of the more attacking players

Linton (I am assuming if he can play for us in the Pizza Trophy, regardless of his loan, he can play in the B&B Cup)
    De Barr

and then first teamers on the bench as needed.

I don't get why you wouldn't do this...we organise "behind closed doors friendlies" and the like, but why would you not give these players the chance against other teams that (esp. if they're from a lower tier) are well up for it and will care about the outcome (as opposed to a friendly)?

• I'd far rather go and watch us away to Marlow or Hungerford in the B&B than Villa's kids at home in the PJ.

• I'm with @PBo, these are exactly the kind of matches the development squad players need. I'd be astonished and disappointed if we didn't enter the B&B.
    Watching Wycombe in a B&B final at Easter used to be a staple event in my youth.

• The B&B cup is a great way to feel close to the club.That run that included two night games at B’field vs Slough and Scyob (or whatever they called themselves at the time) Agee years back were great. Gaz playing, Lee Angol at full back! a wonder goal from Mat Spring, being able to listen to everything from the dug out, Junior M missing the loosing pen shoot out (never did score for us). Simpler times.

• Also an appearance from the lesser spotted Sebastian Cann-Svard.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd far rather go and watch us away to Marlow or Hungerford in the B&B than Villa's kids at home in the PJ.

Absolutely

• @DJWYC14 said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd far rather go and watch us away to Marlow or Hungerford in the B&B than Villa's kids at home in the PJ.

Absolutely

Agreed

• https://www.berks-bucksfa.com/cups-and-competitions/cups/2021-2022/senior-cup/fixtures

On this link we're listed as having a bye in the 2nd Qualifying Round, so I think it's safe to assume we have entered, thankfully.

It would have been ridiculous to create a development squad and then not enter this competition.

• great news.