Skip to content

Chants yesterday evening

I enjoyed the day out yesterday at the Etihad but one thing that really gets on my nerves is when fans (in last night's case our own) spend more time chanting 'against' the opposition than 'for' their own team. Chants of 'Pep was right your fans are *****' got extremely irritating. The usual more inventive chanting seemed to be lacking on what for us was a huge night. Anyone else feel the same or was it just me? When a team of quality (including England national team players) has played you off the park with superb football, and the club has welcomed your supporters to fantastic facilities, should you not show a bit more respect?

Comments

• Followed a group out the ground who sung it loudly but only when in full vision of police. They quietened down every time the police were not in sight.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    They quietened down every time the police were not in sight.

In this respect at least, they were surely only showing their good sense.

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    I enjoyed the day out yesterday at the Etihad but one thing that really gets on my nerves is when fans (in last night's case our own) spend more time chanting 'against' the opposition than 'for' their own team. Chants of 'Pep was right your fans are *****' got extremely irritating. The usual more inventive chanting seemed to be lacking on what for us was a huge night. Anyone else feel the same or was it just me? When a team of quality (including England national team players) has played you off the park with superb football, and the club has welcomed your supporters to fantastic facilities, should you not show a bit more respect?

"Banter" apparently.
    Think it's an age thing.

• I suppose they believe they were upsetting the fans of one of the most successful and richest clubs in the land...whereas I would imagine they were laughing.

• Ps @yorkshire blue, I'm not sure the rabid mob right next to tier 1 were particularly "welcoming". A couple threw some stuff and were generally a bit toxic.

• I actually thought the "Pep was right..." chant was quite funny, but only for the first minute or so.

I don't think you should necessarily "show respect" just because said opposition has a big shiny stadium, but I agree it's pointless spending most of the time chanting against the opposition.

I was in an area where a lot of those sitting around me seemed more interested in making wanker gestures at the opposition fans than watching the game though.

• @PBo said:
    I actually thought the "Pep was right..." chant was quite funny, but only for the first minute or so.

I don't think you should necessarily "show respect" just because said opposition has a big shiny stadium, but I agree it's pointless spending most of the time chanting against the opposition.

I was in an area where a lot of those sitting around me seemed more interested in making wanker gestures at the opposition fans than watching the game though.

With a set of police just behind them, it didn't seem Einstein level genius to do such a thing either.

• edited September 2021

Gentrication aside...as I used to live near Maine Road as a student I suspect the Rusholme contingent of the City fanbase could still make mincemeat of our 'firm' :smile:

• Bloody hell, have you never been to a football match before?!

• I totally agree @YorkshireBlue . Thorough waste of energy to chant against an opposition who really don’t care. Just cheer your own team on.

I also didn’t understand the few who spent the whole game making gestures at kids over the fence.

• One thing I found strange was the amount of Chelsea related songs. I think this was more than just winding up City. Are a number of younger supporters affiliated to Chelsea as well as Wycombe?

• @PBo said:
    I actually thought the "Pep was right..." chant was quite funny, but only for the first minute or so.

Hit the nail on the head, repeating chants about the opposition, or even worse the ridiculous right/left side ones, distracts from supporting the team.

• @LX1 said:
    One thing I found strange was the amount of Chelsea related songs. I think this was more than just winding up City. Are a number of younger supporters affiliated to Chelsea as well as Wycombe?

I don't know LX1 but it did appear there was a 'mob' not part of the usual away crowd who were more intent on abusing the opposition than watching the game as @PBo mentioned. On the way out they were shouting abuse at city fans in the bar area despite being heavily outnumbered.

• The middle tier seemed quite loud for 30 mins but couldn’t really hear from below and above. Didn’t hear any Chelsea related chats so wondering if each tier did their own thing.

Thing for me is there are enough who are disrespectful to their own fans so what chance do we have of being respectful to the opposition.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I totally agree @YorkshireBlue . Thorough waste of energy to chant against an opposition who really don’t care. Just cheer your own team on.

I also didn’t understand the few who spent the whole game making gestures at kids over the fence.

I don't really think the players are listening to what the fans sing word for word as such, unless it's a break in play. I actually thought the Pep chant was fairly amusing (to begin with), and I also think that when the game was dead and buried, it was more a case of just making noise and keeping the atmosphere going.

I for one spent a lot of money to be there.
    £15 ticket, £100 Hotel, £80 train, £20 taxis, £50 food and drink. Plus 1.5 days off work. That sort of money could get you a few days abroad, or even a season ticket at Man City in the 3rd tier. For that reason...not that I was one of them, but I am entitled to sing what the hell I want in whatever stadium, no matter how big or shiny.

• I don't really think the players are listening to what the fans sing word for word as such, unless it's a break in play. I actually thought the Pep chant was fairly amusing (to begin with), and I also think that when the game was dead and buried, it was more a case of just making noise and keeping the atmosphere going.

£15 ticket, £100 Hotel, £80 train, £20 taxis, £50 food and drink. Plus 1.5 days off work. That sort of money could get you a few days abroad, or even a season ticket at Man City in the 3rd tier. For that reason...not that I was one of them, but I am entitled to sing what the hell I want in whatever stadium, no matter how big or shiny.

And we beat Man City in the 3rd tier

• edited September 2021

@thecatwwfc said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I totally agree @YorkshireBlue . Thorough waste of energy to chant against an opposition who really don’t care. Just cheer your own team on.

£50 food and drink.

Big appetite?

• @LX1 said:
    One thing I found strange was the amount of Chelsea related songs. I think this was more than just winding up City. Are a number of younger supporters affiliated to Chelsea as well as Wycombe?

Listening to one hateful wretch on the metro station, he was adamant they've as good as won the lot this year, with only Chelsea being any sort of "fret".

Surely anyone shouting Chelsea stuff wasn't picking up on that sort of thinking?

• Pep was right… did make me laugh the first time as did Your ground’s too big for you. The sex offender one was just crass. However “Can we play you every week”. It’s moments like that at the Etihad and White Hart Lane that will live long in the memory.

• Couldn't make out some of the City chants, even stood right next to them.

Did they have one self mocking their criminal lack of support? Or was I dreaming it?

Something to the tune of the Beautiful South's Rotterdam song?

• @thecatwwfc said:

I don't really think the players are listening to what the fans sing word for word as such, unless it's a break in play. I actually thought the Pep chant was fairly amusing (to begin with), and I also think that when the game was dead and buried, it was more a case of just making noise and keeping the atmosphere going.

Surely the easiest way to ‘just make noise’ is to cheer your team on?

I think using the word ‘entitled’ sums it up. I just felt privileged to be there and spent far less.

• And I don't think anyone truly believes they're entitled to "sing what the hell" they want, these days.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

£50 food and drink.

Big appetite?

@Malone I set off at 12noon. I needed lunch, dinner, breakfast the next day. A few beers before the game....why is £50 not feasible?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Surely the easiest way to ‘just make noise’ is to cheer your team on?

I think using the word ‘entitled’ sums it up. I just felt privileged to be there and spent far less.

Why is it a "privilege" to be there? We were as entitled to be there as anyone else.
    And well done for spending less.
    Each to their own I guess.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

£50 food and drink.

Big appetite?

@Malone I set off at 12noon. I needed lunch, dinner, breakfast the next day. A few beers before the game....why is £50 not feasible?

You're a hungry and thirsty guy, that's fair dos my forum friend.
    Maybe i'm way too much a tight wad, and took my own stuff. Bar a £10 fish and chips (and peas!) combo.

• Going big on the word ‘entitled’ @thecatwwfc . After the lockdown and with so many families and people suffering from loss, financial pressures or mental health issues I think it was a privilege to able to support our great club last night. I felt I represented a little of those who couldn’t or didn’t go.

If you think you are entitled to do it you are a very lucky person in one way. A very self absorbed in another.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

£50 food and drink.

Big appetite?

Sounds quite cheap to me, I'm guessing if I had to do all that I'd probably spend more

• Sat in the 3rd tier, couldn't work out most of the songs.

Is this a library, not a fan of this song and I must of heard it about 6 times.

The worst one was shoes off the wanderers I think it was.

• At least no-one sang Sweet Caroline.

• It’s worrying how few football supporters know what a library is.