Skip to content

Match day thread: Man City (League Cup)

Comments

• edited September 2021

@Commoner said:
    We were magnificent on the pitch and it was something to be proud of!

We were shambolic off the pitch, 100s of supporters or 20% of us who paid for tickets left outside the ground waiting for tickets.
    Majority having selected those tickets to be posted out to us.
    When we got to the office the tickets were all in envelopes with names on.
    They had 50 stewards doing absolutely nothing, it wouldn’t have taken much to give each steward a letter of the alphabet to hand the tickets out.
    I got in the queue at 1850 and was at
    My seat 19 minutes into the game.
    I’m sorry the Couhigs have got a lot to answer for on this, as in 30 years I have never had an issue.
    Ticketing and getting them is a massive problem currently and lots of people are getting fed up.

Shouldn't the Trust Directors have been helping out at the ground on this special occasion, after all we still own 20% of the Club?

• It was a big day out for the club staff, coach for all laid on up to City by the owners. So, there should have been enough Wycombe bodies at the ground. But perhaps not with their customer service hats on?

• I had an incredibly stressful experience at Adams Park before the Charlton game, being passed from pillar to post and back again for nearly 20 minutes in what should have been a straightforward procedure, picking up a guest ticket ordered and paid for on Tuesday.

• Sounds like quite a few people ended up in the wrong tier as they were given someone else's tickets. Not good at all, but how is that Wycombe's fault?

• Wonderful scenes when our goal went in last night, and at our end as well. I'll remember it forever.

My goodness though, City are a good side. They must be the best side that Wycombe have ever played. And De Bruyne......strewth, he is ridiculous. I reckon he's the greatest player we've ever come up against.

• Completely agree, @eric_plant

A great night on the field.

It took a little while for City to get into their stride, but then the quality of the passing and movement, the timing of the runs and the overall athleticism was scary.

• Its a real shame that what should be a happy memorable experience has been marred for some by another ticketing shambles.

I have been caught up in similar on the last two Plymouth away games - once when I had prebooked a ticket and queued for over an hour to pick it up and once when I didnt and queued for 45 mins to buy one. Its a horrid experience - completely powerless as the minutes tick by and as you try to calculate people ahead of you / divided by serve time =minutes queue and gradually work out you are missing the start. Wasn't helped in Plymouth case by their directors watching and laughing from their room which overlooked the shambles.

Surely this is the home club, Man City's responsibility not ours though? And why when there is evident chaos does no one use their brains, put customer service first and just safely admit all those queuing into the ground without their tickets accepting that a tiny number may get in who haven't paid.

• It will be interesting to see how the club respond to the ticketing fiasco. Need to sort quickly before all the hard work and good will generated by the Couhigs , will quickly disappear.

• @DevC @ReturnToSenda Surely the clubs have to liaise and get better at this as it happens with multiple clubs. Blaming City is particularly pointless as it's unlikely we'll be playing them again anytime soon. At the simplest level it's our club selling the tickets so they have some responsibility and should take good interest in fans actually getting to use them.

• For anyone unfamiliar with the current Wycombe squad, we rested 6 regular starters last night. A defender, two midfielders and three forwards. Manchester City played four (?five) world class players in midfield and up front plus some of the most talented youngsters in the Premier League. For at least 70 minutes, the scoreline was on a par with that of many a Premier League Match at the Etihad. Tremendous achievement.

• edited September 2021

@davecz said:
    It will be interesting to see how the club respond to the ticketing fiasco. Need to sort quickly before all the hard work and good will generated by the Couhigs , will quickly disappear.

It'll be Saturday at MK when they can respond - as tickets only went on sale on Monday I'd expect that 90% of Wycombe fans attending will be collecting on the day.

• Oh dear I have to collect from Mk...does not sound good!

• Doesn't the issue all stem from staffing levels at our end, though? I went to collect my City ticket pre-game on Saturday and it wasn't ready - with numbers of others in the same position. Presumably this was because the staff available had had to prioritise getting the Charlton tickets out. You can't just pass the problem of delivery onto City staff and then blame them.

Just as the food and parking problems of early season have seen progress since, I'd hope we can get to grips with this sometime after next Saturday.

• Few thoughts on last night.

Great home fan set up with plenty of food and drink, live bands and plenty of friendly helpful stewards. Total contrast with what went on once you entered the away cage. Deliberately unwelcoming in my opinion which makes me happier with how we treat away fans.

The ticketing situation was a disaster. We got reprinted tickets which turned out to be the same seats as others had been given tickets for. The queue went on for ever and I really feel for those who missed any of the match.

We really do have some disrespectful supporters. Those stood up at the front in tier 2 openly arguing with older fans about their 'rights'. They did give great support for 40 mins though so just a little respect for others would really help.

No idea why the second half chanting was totally aimed at Man City and their fans. They didn't care and the team needed some support.

Anyone else think the game would have been different if the ref had sent off the number 90 after his tackle on Wheeler?

So many tireless performances from our team. Gape and Wheeler will be feeling it. Stewart was immense and the young City defence will have learnt lots from Bayo's power and Hanlon's pace and movement.

City's big name certainly came to play didn't they? A credit to them and their manager after a lifetime of seeing so many big name players phone it in for games like that. The passing and movement in the last 10 mins when the game was done was fantastic to watch.

Finally what a great moment that goal was. Glad it happened at our end. Glad it happened at 0-0. Super glad it happened at all and we were back in grounds to see it. A true memory for the ages.

• For those of you who were unable to go it was an amazing experience. The Eitihad Complex is absolutely amazing and it is great to see an English club have such facilities, which must be the best football dedicated complex in Europe.

In addition to the amazing academy facilities the emphasis is on fan experience and without ripping off the fans. Yes it is a different part of the country but the food in the fanzone was amazing. Best cheese burger I have had at a football match and only £5. There was plenty of on-site parking and we parked at the back of the velodrome for just £5.

The match was also a great experience and with five world class attacking players in their line up, City were devastating but the mighty Wycombe did themselves proud and I will treasure my photo of the scoreboard when the Chairboys were 1-0 ahead.

There was no humiliation in losing 6-1 to that team and the lads did us proud and it was great to see how close the team have become to us fans when they came over to our corner at the end of the game.

Fantastic experience and now let’s go and smash the franchise.

• As I understand, the ticketing issue was largely caused by the tickets being brought up from Wycombe, and then not arriving until quite late. The 3/4 staff in the Man City ticket office then had to get them in order, alphebetised etc., which hindered how quickly and efficiently they could get them out, and caused long waits. Quite why there wasn't an option to print / scan tickets baffles me.

Super game to go to. The goal in front of the away fans was magical, and so much more enjoyable for it being us taking the lead, rather than getting an injury time consolation. And then I just thought City were breath-takingly enjoyable to watch - you just get a far better appreciation for how good they are by watching both football at our level and theirs live. No shame in being outclassed like that - and I'm very proud of the account we gave of ourselves.

• Truly amazing @Blue_since_1990 and beautifully described. Listening on my car radio (no FM reception indoors) just wasn’t quite the same but the Morrison’s Amour choc ice on a stick (25p) went down a treat and very little on the seat.

• @micra said:
    For anyone unfamiliar with the current Wycombe squad, we rested 6 regular starters last night. A defender, two midfielders and three forwards. Manchester City played four (?five) world class players in midfield and up front plus some of the most talented youngsters in the Premier League. For at least 70 minutes, the scoreline was on a par with that of many a Premier League Match at the Etihad. Tremendous achievement.

Not even 70 minutes Micra. The final score was on a par with a Premier League match - they've won 2 of their 3 home games in the league by 5 goals already this season! And they scored 6 against Leipzig in the Champions League. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

• Certainly not @JohnBoy. As I said, a tremendous achievement. And the return of McCarthy gives me great confidence that we will be equal to the task on Saturday. The fabulous front three rested and McCarthy bombing down the right is a mouthwatering prospect.

• @floyd said:
    According to ESPN one of their players signed for them at 13 for £175,000. Somethings very wrong with that.

I did a quick total of the starting eleven lineups yesterday and it worked out City had a value of £331.2 million (not including the kids playing) whereas we were £2.97 million!

• @StrongestTeam said:

It's clear though that lots of people had issues last night and with recent games, on sales are late causing postal issues, people aren't clear wether their tickets are coming by post regardless of what they chose online or are told over the phone, info is reactive in replies to rants rather than proactively available and onsite pressence at AP for sorting stuff in person is much reduced and not clear either. One for the trust to get involved in asking questions about really, need to show they are willing to represent.

Exactly this. I ordered my tickets last Wednesday and selected post. If someone hadn't have posted something on here I would not have known I had to fill out a form to say my tickets hadn't arrived in the post. No email from the club on this.

If I'd known I was at risk, I could have tried to collect from the club on Saturday. BY the time I found out on Monday they were shut and I just couldn't go to the club Tuesday morning.

To add some context, this is not an isolated incident. I have also had particularly poor service as a player sponsor as well. I find most things out after they happen e.g. no communication to say the player I sponsored was leaving the club last season, I found out at the same time as everyone else when it was announced on the club website. To be fair the club called me last season and apologised/admitted it is not what they expect but nothing has changed this season.

Take the money and no improvement in service. I wasn't invited to the sponsor photoshoot day last week, I find out from another player sponsor two weeks after the initial communications were sent out by which point I cannot re-arrange work commitments so missed the afternoon.

I'm fed up of being told it's all about the customer experience when I keep getting a shit customer experience and the club keep taking my money! Even though I've fed back regularly through email and continually chase up when they make mistakes, nothing seems to be changing.

Either drop the continual references to "best customer experience" or such like until you can ACTUALLY deliver it OR start putting your money where your mouth is.

Has anyone been invited to the big party with Missy and Rob that was promised for all the STHs that left there money in during the pandemic? Perhaps the party has already happened and I missed the invite!

Rant over...

• Fans last night were fantastic

• Opposition view would have been good for this one. Like this comment I found... sums up my views on VAR

:Really enjoyed that. Good to see the manager giving that defence a chance to shine and how good was it to watch a game where you could celebrate without the thought of a 2 minute microscopic examination of a goal."

• A great night on the field, nothing to be ashamed of in our performance, and a memory we'll cherish.

Great night in the stands too, as for 90% of the game the away fans were all you could hear.

It's a real shame that some fans had their night spoiled by ticketing issues. It seems from some brief gleanings on social media that the return of fans, coupled with lower staffing levels and new ticketing systems are causing problems at every level of football. Manchester City have the resources of a medium sized country, so it's a bit much that they blamed us for the problem. But i understand that none of this would be of any consolation if i'd got to my seat after kick off.

• what a cracking point - imagine if there had been a delay on our goal last night while a VAR check was carried out

it's a perfect example of why VAR is so dreadful

• Won't be rushing back to revisit anytime soon. Seemed an eternity to get in the ground from the tram stop. Didn't even feel like a football match, just some corporate event.

• As, I now realise, I was fortunate enough to have opted for and received my ticket in the post I'm perhaps not best placed to comment on the difficulties with ticket collection last night. However I do have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly the club did say that collection pre-match on Saturday wasn't an option and I understand why the club couldn't facilitate that as staff were employed dealing with tickets for Charlton. However, couldn't the trust have helped with this by asking for volunteers to assist? Maybe the Trust is also experiencing lack of communication with the club?
    Regards last night it seems odd, given that WWFC would have been aware exactly how many lots of tickets needed to be collected, that they weren't pre-sorted and staffed to deal with 1000(?) people all arriving at 6:45pm. It's not like nobody knows that's what was going to happen. Perhaps a lack of experience of the match day staff is the issue?
    Regards the suggestion, made above, that supporters be allowed into the stadium without an actual ticket by simply opening the gates - I'm affairs that's NEVER going to happen. Past history tells us that is a recipe for disaster and no club is going to do it no matter what the situation.
    Finally I'm left wondering why the whole fiasco couldn't have been avoided by issuing tickets via email, to be printed or not at home? This was certainly an option for Man City fans and I simply do not believe that the technology isn't capable of making it possible for away fans.

I'm truly disappointed for those fans who have had what should have been a memorable experience trained by these issues. Come on WWFC we need to do better.

• @eric_plant said:
    what a cracking point - imagine if there had been a delay on our goal last night while a VAR check was carried out

it's a perfect example of why VAR is so dreadful

Seconded!

• Did anyone see a toy badger flying down from tier 3 to tier 2 around the 80 minute mark? Would be interested to know what became of him.

• There is a difference Twizz between simply opening the gates and letting a flood of people in in an uncontrolled way a la the Hillsborough tragedy and recognising that there is a customer relations disaster unfolding and managing it in a controlled way by dispensing with the need for people to be handed a piece of paper, walk 50 yards and give that piece of paper back to a man/machine to gain access.
    Instead Man City, whose stadium it was, simply allowed the chaos to happen, as Plymouth did in both our last two games there. We may have been complicit in not warning MC how many tickets would need to be collected or even in not providing staff to help them distribute them if that is what was agreed but Man City ultimately are responsible for treating their customers at their ground with respect.