Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

12346»

Comments

• We started to invite pressure when we bought Bayo on as he could not do what we had done for 70 plus minutes - pressure from the front. Another team who stupidly believe they can play it out from the back and the end result is a mixture of terror and incompetence. Bayo can't do that. I very much if he has been able to do that for 10 plus years.
    We won. It was exciting at the end. All is well. But tomorrow if we are 2 nil up with 10 to go I suggest we get some sprightly legs on to keep the pressure away from our goal.

• At that point it would be time to ease off and give minutes to some youngsters.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ironically I think we could employ the short pass out from the back well. Only because Stockdale is one of the best passing 'keepers that I have seen at this level. But Charlton were employing it with defenders who were clearly not that comfortable receiving it and a 'keeper who's distribution was poor. Horgan, Gmac and Voakes were more than happy to close down their back 5 players and when the inevitable long clearance came Scowen and Thompson were happy to pick up the scraps. For a manager as experienced as Adkins it was amazing how long they stuck with it.

• It would be a bit of a waste for us to do it when the primary target is Vokes, but I agree about Stocko.

• The remarkable thing is clubs doing it over and over again when it doesn't work but we were guilty of the opposite pretty often for years until Stocko got the shirt - Banging it long hopelessly and being surprised when it comes straight back. At least in that way you'd get a reset, piddling around in your own area is suicidal.

• It takes time to implement a new style, but even teams well-versed in playing that way still occasionally go long when they sense it's safer. Charlton have Jayden Stockley to aim for as well, ffs.

It's also not the best way to play when you've got a back three as you've only got one 'safe' option (the middle centre-back). Having the 'keeper pass to an outside CB is slightly safer than having them pass to a full-back - who is at a disadvantage against the press as the touchline is an immovable buffer (Louis van Gaal absolutely hates playing out from the back that way) - but it's still not ideal.

But then I guess this is why these managers aren't coaching at the highest level...

• Interesting watching Lavelle on Saturday. He was probably one of their better defenders and obviously scored a good goal.

However, although I advocated that we should sign another senior CB as cover, I could not see Lavelle getting in ahead of any of our current back three.

I still feel we need more cover for the CB position but hopefully Tafazolli, Stewart and JJ can keep injury free for the rest of the campaign.

• Clearly the Bayo debate is going to run and run and stating the obvious, it won’t be decided until we see how many goals he scores, his assists and the ability to influence games this season. It’s an added bonus he’s a motivator and mentor to the younger players but he should be judged on what happens on the pitch. Only then can we judge if this has been a season too far. From my perspective, he has been a magnificent servant and player for our club but unfortunately Father Time has caught up with him and we should not have offered him a playing contract. I sincerely wish I’m proved wrong though.

• @davecz said:
    Clearly the Bayo debate is going to run and run and stating the obvious, it won’t be decided until we see how many goals he scores, his assists and the ability to influence games this season. It’s an added bonus he’s a motivator and mentor to the younger players but he should be judged on what happens on the pitch. Only then can we judge if this has been a season too far. From my perspective, he has been a magnificent servant and player for our club but unfortunately Father Time has caught up with him and we should not have offered him a playing contract. I sincerely wish I’m proved wrong though.

The Bayo debate? Really?

• edited September 2021

@davecz said:
    Clearly the Bayo debate is going to run and run and stating the obvious, it won’t be decided until we see how many goals he scores, his assists and the ability to influence games this season. It’s an added bonus he’s a motivator and mentor to the younger players but he should be judged on what happens on the pitch. Only then can we judge if this has been a season too far. From my perspective, he has been a magnificent servant and player for our club but unfortunately Father Time has caught up with him and we should not have offered him a playing contract. I sincerely wish I’m proved wrong though.

Your track record of being proved wrong is outstanding so there's genuine cause for optimism on that front

• @eric_plant said:

@davecz said:

Your track record of being proved wrong is outstanding so there's genuine cause for optimism on that front

Really ??

• There is no debate @davecz . He's got a contract and he will come on as and when GA (sorry Ainsworth) decides he should get on. You just repeating your mantra after almost every game that despite your deep and abiding love of the man, the legend, he should never pull on the shirt again just gets repetitive. This is his last season, he will largely play a supporting role, let it go.

• Just watched the inside matchday video, and a very underrated part of the first goal is Scowen's movement. Gives the pass, then runs forward creating the space for McCleary to shoot through. Every bit as good as McCleary's run to create space for Obita in the Lincoln game, and a real improvement in the way we attack.

• Wasn’t it Obita’s run to create space for McCleary?

By the way, the lad (No 23) who impressed when he came on is Corey Blackett-Taylor, signed from Tranmere Rovers and I remember being very impressed with him on a couple of occasions when he was still a teenager. Didn’t they also have a brilliant teenager, two or three years ago who scored at Old Trafford while still at school or was that Accrington?

• edited September 2021

@micra I think you're thinking of Luke Matheson (Rochdale, now at Hamilton Academical on loan from Wolves).

• That’s the guy. Thanks @ReturnToSenda .

• Less concerned by Bayo’s appearance than Kai Kai and Hanlons tbh. They both looked a bit uncomfortable with when to press and when to cover / shield the team and didn’t appear to track back like Horgan and McCleary. But in truth I think it was a difficult stage in the game, we learn from it, and we will be better for the experience.