Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• Just a short note as I watched the match replay this morning on iFollow having managed to avoid the result as couldn’t watch yesterday.

What a fantastic performance. Absolutely superb and really should have won by 4 or 5. Horgan and McCleary were electric, especially McCleary who put in about as good a performance as we’ll see in a Wycombe shirt, top class. Vokes was great up top and when others start reading his intelligent flick ins better he’ll look even more effective. But he occupies defenders allowing space for others and is vital. Scowen was absolutely brilliant in central midfield yesterday.

I am hoping still that we start to have a bit more confidence in this division. Again, we sat back and invited pressure towards the end against a team we pummelled. We should have been thinking 3/4/5 rather than protecting what we had. Hopefully that’ll come with time. Again, as I mentioned last week, my only concern is the use of Bayo. He cannot move and press as we need and means when leading we invite pressure and cannot defend from the front. Hanlan is the man for the first replacement. Bayo could be massive still in situations where we are drawing/losing and pressing for a winner/equaliser with 5-10 minutes to go and has a lot to offer in those situations but not 20 minutes when 2-0 up. Hanlan is a far, far, FAR better option. Hopefully we learn this quickly as it will cost us points.

Anyway, massive well done to GA (for switching back to 3-4-2-1) and the team for a scintillating performance. Absolutely fantastic win!

• Surely 'might cost us points' @Quarterman as it has not as yet. As I mentioned in an earlier post I think tired midfield and defence not able to cope with the last desperate push of a poor team cost us the last few minutes of pressure. Other than that agree with your points.

• What a competitive division this is proving to be, no fewer than 15 clubs separated by just six points. Early days but we are averaging an excellent two points per game.

• It is going to be very tight indeed.

• @Quarterman said:
    Just a short note as I watched the match replay this morning on iFollow having managed to avoid the result as couldn’t watch yesterday.

What a fantastic performance. Absolutely superb and really should have won by 4 or 5. Horgan and McCleary were electric, especially McCleary who put in about as good a performance as we’ll see in a Wycombe shirt, top class. Vokes was great up top and when others start reading his intelligent flick ins better he’ll look even more effective. But he occupies defenders allowing space for others and is vital. Scowen was absolutely brilliant in central midfield yesterday.

I am hoping still that we start to have a bit more confidence in this division. Again, we sat back and invited pressure towards the end against a team we pummelled. We should have been thinking 3/4/5 rather than protecting what we had. Hopefully that’ll come with time. Again, as I mentioned last week, my only concern is the use of Bayo. He cannot move and press as we need and means when leading we invite pressure and cannot defend from the front. Hanlan is the man for the first replacement. Bayo could be massive still in situations where we are drawing/losing and pressing for a winner/equaliser with 5-10 minutes to go and has a lot to offer in those situations but not 20 minutes when 2-0 up. Hanlan is a far, far, FAR better option. Hopefully we learn this quickly as it will cost us points.

Anyway, massive well done to GA (for switching back to 3-4-2-1) and the team for a scintillating performance. Absolutely fantastic win!

I agree, I think we are over using Bayo.

His lack of mobility is a problem when we are defending for our lives at the end of games. Opposition defenders have so much time to pick a pass or launch a long ball with absolutely no pressure on them. Then when we do win it there’s no pace up there to capitalise, it is a problem.

• I've fought any anti-Bayo posts these last few years, but we definitely need to be cleverer about our use of Bayo, and in fact subs as a whole.

I read the Charlton forum, and their match summariser basically said we were comfortable, but then decided to sub our whole front 3, and play with 10 men as Bayo was totally immobile.

He still has a role, but we have to use him properly, and at the right time. Not just as a blanket 75th min Vokes replacement.
    Hanlan is big, strong and mobile. He could well be a better bet in that role, if he hasn't started of course, as we've not given him a 3 year deal just to make cameos.

• Yeah, Bayo for Vokes already feels like it's scripted. Vokes isn't some old clogger; he's perfectly capable of going 90. But I think Gaz is quicker at picking up on these things and learnong from his mistakes than he's ever been.

• I think Hanlan will be the one to replace Vokes (if needed), as we go deeper into the season.
    Bayo”s record is amazing and he is a real legend but he is now not able to stop the defenders passing around him or even coming out from the back.

• Bringing on Bayo helped win us a point at Wigan, and made us look a better team at Sunderland. He's still an easy out ball even if he doesn't press quickly, and I'm happy to have him up front at the end of the game no matter if we are chasing or trying to hold on.

• @Chris Both of those games we were losing. In those situations opponents are much less likely to be proactively attacking and much more likely to sit back a bit. In those situations Bayo may well be an important factor, as he was in those games. When leading, the opposition are coming into you, throwing more men forward and leaving space to exploit in behind, so an attacker with more pace and mobility would most likely be more effective. Hanlan in our case, although he also seems a strong lad who could do both options.

Bayo is a human being who cannot just perform the same role he once did as infinijm. He is not as mobile as he was 3 or 4 years ago so his role must be different now. It’s not a criticism, it is just age which catches up to every player that has ever, or will ever, play the game.

We cannot just make the same changes from the bench every game at the same time regardless of the match situation. Tactics are generally overplayed in my opinion but they do play some role.

• Bayo should be an option at the death, when we are struggling to break down defences. But his complete lack of mobility, had a dramatic effect on a game we were bossing until that substitution.
    In open play, Bayo is just to slow to close down.

• LX1LX1
    edited September 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    What a competitive division this is proving to be, no fewer than 15 clubs separated by just six points. Early days but we are averaging an excellent two points per game.

for ppg fans:

Peterborough 21/22 0.875
    Wycombe 20/21 0.934

• To be fair to Bayo, it wasn’t all down to just him. The ball was going to Horgan and Gmac and they were keeping possession superbly. Hanlon and KaiKai were chasing trying to get possession of ball but not getting it played into them to keep.

Fully agree that Hanlon would have been the better choice to replace Vokes. Would have also been great to have Mehmeti available to replace one of the other two

• To be honest I think it was the substitutions of McCleary and Horgan that changed the tone of the game as much as the Vokes/Bayo switch.

We took off the two players who were causing them so many problems which then reduced the pressure they were under and allowed them to move forward with more confidence.

Their goal was coming but we (hopefully) have to learn to close out games when we are leading and I’m optimistic we will have gained more benefit from the way it ended than if we had just cruised to a 2-0 victory.

• Horgan looked absolutely knackered before he was taken off - hardly surprising given he barely stopped all game.

• It was the triple combo that did it.

But you can understand why we took them all off, as per @MindlessDrugHoover.

It's a heck of a long season, and those 3 will be a critical part of our success.

• LX1LX1
    edited September 2021

Whoa whoa whoa..Wycombe's got McCleary
    Whoa whoa whoa...he's better than Peter Beardsley
    Whoa whoa whoa...Wycombe's going all the way
    one two three four

• As a fan of the cf chasing down back passes...are they allowed to tackle the keeper?

• If the keeper doesn’t have control of the ball with his/her hands they are treated as any other player regards tackling etc.

• Bayo is obviously at the end of his career but can still do a job if used right, he was great when he came on probably too late at Sunderland, harsh to blame him for yesterday going a bit south, he was at least trying to get on the ball, Hanlan and Kaykai barely touched the ball.

The tendency just to bang it at him and expect him to be the attack whenever he plays is something we need to get past and deal with better , overall it risked giving them a very unlikely point but we got the win and those withdrawn will be raring to go at Peps mini crisis. Few things better than a round of "shit ground, no fans" at somewhere obviously undeserving.

• I know Vokes didn’t get many games last year but I cannot believe after a pre season he’s not able to do 90 minutes. Bayo is so immobile now, he should only be used if we are chasing a game , not a game we are winning. Cannot believe Hanlon isn’t a better option.

• Anybody think we're protecting players for the Man City game?

• BrandOn HanlAn. With apologies to all anti-pedants.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Anybody think we're protecting players for the Man City game?

No. Unleash bloody hell

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • well said @fame_46

Surely the point is that the whole team retreated in that last 15 minutes, whether justifiably or not. It's not like Vokes was holding the ball up single-handed with his team mates 30 yards behind him prior to that.

• Testify @fame_46. Bayo coming on this time didn't help much, but that doesn't mean it won't work any time.

• The usual posts about the usual thing by the usual people win, lose or draw.

• Suspect we would have seen out the game a little more easily if Wheeler, Hanlan and Kaykai had come on - not least as we may have been smarter in closing down the Charlton threat which only materialised when they brought on the lad on the left.

• The main difference was them bringing on their left winger who was their only threat all game.