Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• I want Horgan to score so badly! When he's on the field with mcleary good things happen.

• I thought that was the best game I have seen Horgan play. He really looked to get things moving and more often than not picked out the perfect option (if not always perfectly executed).

• Can I also mention the referee. I was trying to think if he actually got any decisions wrong and I'm not sure he did. I thought he handled the 'handbags' near the end well and played the advantage rule when needed. A couple of bad tackles were given deserved yellow cards. Credit to Bayo as well on the second of them. He was ridiculously quick to get up and shake the offending guy's hand, which made the referee's decision a lot easier than it could have been.

• @Jonny7 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    In terms of pure ability, I think Garath McCleary is the best player I've ever seen in a Wycombe shirt bar maybe Eze (my first game was in 2003) - but I think he's even better than he was.

It's a good shout. As attacking players go Darren Currie was also superb.

Noel Ashford.

• It was interesting watching how much Horgan and McCleary played off each other without involving Vokes. It's almost like Gareth has instructed the team to play both a Plan A and a Plan B at the same time. We either play centrally through the spine, from JJ to Scowen/Thompson to Horgan/McCleary to create magic, or we play through the wingbacks who are told to bomb on and get it onto Vokes's head. Totally flummoxing the opponent's defence, who don't know which way to mark. A far cry from the last few seasons' exclusive Bayoball, even when he wasn't on the pitch.

• @Malone said:

[Horgan's] definitely not a ... creative passer...

I've just re-read this. Don't often disagree with you but that is exactly what he was today!

• @drcongo said:
    Horgan was brilliant today mate.

I'm probably harshly comparing his end product to McCleary.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I was right behind the fireworks, I was surprised how hot the flames were, and how close the crowd was to them. On such a warm day, I was glad it was a short display!

Could feel the warmth and smell form the Frank Adams, so those people a couple of metres off them must have felt the burn!

• It may take a bit of time for his team mates to catch on, but every header/flick on that Vokes won, went to his left. If his playing partners could wise up to that, the longer balls up to him could create a few moments of panic.
    As for Curtis, his performance today was amazing. He reminds me of a lion, that once he gets his claws in to his prey, he sticks like the old poo to a blanket on his victims back and doesn't let go!

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

[Horgan's] definitely not a ... creative passer...

I've just re-read this. Don't often disagree with you but that is exactly what he was today!

I think it's an end product thing. He should score and assist a lot more than he does.
    But his interplay with McCleary is very promising.

• GMac gave his shirt to a little kid at the end as well. A class act all round.

• I have realized there are few joys comparable to watching the ball land at McLeary's feet and him square up a defender. You don't know exactly what is going to happen next, but you know it will almost certainly be good!

There are two parallel seasons going on for me. There is the usual one, with the concern over goals, wins, points and standings, and then there is the out of body experience of seeing the sheer amount of talent clothed in Wycombe quarters. I am enjoying the second season with every ounce of my being no matter what happens in the first!

• I've been watching Wycombe over 30 years, and Garath McCleary has to be one the best players we've ever had.

He is an absolute joy to watch

• McCleary is in such a run of form and deserves all the plaudits he’s given. Stewart was outstanding as was Horgan both would have been a motm in a normal game. Honourable mentions for Sam Vokes who created space around him and JJ who just does his thing.

• @thedieharder said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@Gary said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    M40 pretty clogged btw, obviously still early.

My 40 minute drive is showing as 1 hr 47 mins currently! Doesn’t help that M4 is closed either.

Where's the M4 closed guys?

I think from just after the M25 turnoff going out of Heathtow

@Gary @thedieharder Belated thanks for the info. Coming from the west so didn't affect me.

• Stewart was outstanding today. On any other day MOM for sure. But McCleary… what a player he has become for us.

• @Manboobs said:
    Stewart was outstanding today. On any other day MOM for sure. But McCleary… what a player he has become for us.

True - I think our defenders may suffer in the MOTM stakes this season if we win more than we lose as expected. Stewart was excellent, but it's hard to compete with McLeary's mic drop.

• I thought Horgan and Vokes put the wind up them for the whole time they were on the pitch with no respute despite not getting on the scoresheet.

• 90% of Vokes' game at the moment is off the ball and he's superb at it. I hope we find a way to get more chances to him though.

• I've just remembered JJ doing an almost identical trick free kick to the one on the opening day of the season. I leaped up thinking it was in the first time, and almost did again today.

• Just watching the highlights. Not surprised Stocko was so pissed after their goal - clearly fouled.

• In the not too distant past, we went to The Valley in a cup quarter final and beat an utterly out of sorts Charlton, against all the odds. Today, we were favourites and played them off the park. I’m so proud of how far this club has come.

• @eric_plant said:
    I've been watching Wycombe over 30 years, and Garath McCleary has to be one the best players we've ever had.

He is an absolute joy to watch

Makes me feel like a kid watching the Wanderers again. What a player.

• Bar the last few minutes, that was a superb Wycombe performance. McLeary and Horgan absolutely tortured Charlton's defence. Should have been a much more comfortable win than it eventually was, but take nothing away, we looked a top side today!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watching the highlights. Not surprised Stocko was so pissed after their goal - clearly fouled.

Why would you suggest he was pissed?

• There won’t be much of an opposition view on RTB this week - most of their comments are about Adkins. One poster on their forum did express their disgust at losing to a pub team but nobody has posted that they couldn’t watch us every week!

• @Gary said:
    There won’t be much of an opposition view on RTB this week - most of their comments are about Adkins. One poster on their forum did express their disgust at losing to a pub team but nobody has posted that they couldn’t watch us every week!

I wouldn't mind playing in a pub team that had Garath McCleary playing like that in it! I doubt there were many Charlton fans who would rather watch their disjointed band of supposedly Championship-standard players than some of the excellent football we put on display.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 - love the reference to the chant but with City playing poorly and drawing 0-0 at home yesterday, maybe Pep will put his first team out.
    But hey, we can cope. ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watching the highlights. Not surprised Stocko was so pissed after their goal - clearly fouled.

Having seen it again, I'm not so sure - maybe a case of a ref not giving a 'keeper preferential treatment, which is encouraging to see.