Skip to content

Man of the Match - Charlton

Some great performances, though only one clear winner for me.

Poll not found

Comments

• Some great performances, but McLeary had one for the ages.

• McLeary was excellent today.

• McCleary for me but thought everyone did well, and having heard Thompson was not his usual self against Oxford I thought he was excellent today

• Scowen for me, but very tough call. He and McClearey won the match for us today.

• @TheOldMan said:
      Scowen for me, but very tough call. He and McClearey won the match for us today.

Josh was great the guy is so composed

• Some really good performances. McCleary looks a class above but I went with Horgan as I thought it was one of his best performances (shooting aside) for us with energy and vision. Those two together when they get it together are a real pleasure to watch

• It was interesting to me that Thompson and Grimmer made concerted efforts to get up and score. They barely shoot between them normally, but were in the thick of it. I wonder if it was based on deliberate instructions, perhaps as our shots in open play usually only come from the front three.

• If you don't give it to McCleary today, I guess you never will.

• @Malone said:
      If you don't give it to McCleary today, I guess you never will.

I thought it would be close to unanimous. Scowen was great, but better than McLeary? No way. That was an absolute masterclass.

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:
      If you don't give it to McCleary today, I guess you never will.

I thought it would be close to unanimous. Scowen was great, but better than McLeary? No way. That was an absolute masterclass.

Agreed. He's just too good for this division. And works hard and closes down as good as any winger too. An outrageous signing from Ainsworth.

Am hoping Horgan emerges in a similar fashion, as the idea of two of them linking with Vokes, who again is too good for this league, is mouth watering.

• I went for the s*** Ivan Toney rather then the **** Luke 09!??

• McLeary for me, the 2 goals the deciding factor, but a good few contenders.
      Vokes really puts in a shift and heaps so much pressure on the opposition
      Horgan is a joy to watch - if only he could shoot straight
      Scowen and Thompson had their best game as a partnership
      The back three didn’t allow Charlton many clear cut chances
      Grimmer was solid
      Obita is really starting to grow on me
      Stockdale really didn’t have too much to do until late on.

The only negative was allowing an outclassed Charlton team a chance back in at the end.

Can’t wait for Tuesday

• McCleary. Obviously.

Scowen was superb though, his passing vision was an absolute joy today.

• Seeing the highlights showed just what a great clearance Scowen made at the death with the score at 2-1. That really was ‘worth a goal’ as the saying goes.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
      Seeing the highlights showed just what a great clearance Scowen made at the death with the score at 2-1. That really was ‘worth a goal’ as the saying goes.

Agreed, and the highlights also show what a great dummy run Josh made pulling two defenders with him to open space for GMac’s goal (the way Gareth flicked the ball up to be able to hit it on the volley was ‘different class’ as some might say).

• edited September 2021

This McLeary performance is easily the most resounding MOTM win of the season so far, with GMac garnering over 89% of votes outside of 'Did Not See'. He is also in second place for the Accrington opener (over 75% of votes). What a season to date! Next update to the overall MOTM race is three games away, but I can say this has shot him past Scowen in what is looking a lot like a two horse race as things stand - the pair of them have claimed 54.7% of all votes cast this season!