Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• Re Vokes and his contribution, which I think has been excellent btw, it's almost like we have too many options when it comes to who is going to put in the cross and exactly where will it land.
    I'd like to see some earlier crosses into the box so he can get a run across the defenders more.

• Forgot to mention the drumming. Today was spot on so if it was Tom well done.

• Vokes continues to create space by occupying multiple defenders, too. It's pick your poison time with that front three.

• Sometimes I wish Horgan would just shoot! ?Great display from everyone. Really pleased.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Just seen Neil Harris. Who is he with now?

Probably sniffing around to take over when Adkins gets binned.

• Great performance and totally dominant for at least 80 minutes. Vokes makes so much space and McLeary is amazing at this level. Our defence look untroubled until the last 10 mins and we could have had 4 or 5.
    Up to 5th and things starting to look good.
    Nice to see Oxford lose at Cheltenham ?

• There's a few nice bits of interplay between McCleary and Horgan, but we haven't quite unlocked the latter just yet.

The subs didn't help us at all though and I bet everyone was relieved when their man scythed Hanlan down on about 94mins, meaning we could take an absolute age over the free kick and finally see it out.

• Scowen and McCleary were incredible today

• Charlton were absolutely woeful. Manager surely for the sack. Their only decent performance came from the 23 off the bench, who caused all sorts of bother. Perhaps one to keep an eye on.

I thought we could and should have put the game to bed much earlier. When Bayo came on we stopped pressing their keeper. As a result we was kicking ten yards further into our half and had time to pick out their players. Prior to that we’d hustled every kick out, allowing Tafazolli and Stewart to mop up and recycle the ball.

More early crosses across the face of goal please. Otherwise we looked pretty good. Scowen excellent after a poor display at Oxford.

• Tired defence and knackered midfield had more to do with their late flurry than Bayo coming on in my opinion.

• They have some very decent players and arguably as the cliche says on paper should be beating us. But they were largely a shambles. Again my pet hate of teams who are not good enough to play out from the back seem to think they are Man City, a joke of a tactic and smacks of arrogance.
    Friend of mine enjoyed the journey from London to AP and warned they were a bunch of a holes looking for a destination - he’s a Charlton fan.

• The ball just sticks to McCleary, doesn't it? That man has some serious vision and skill. On top of which, he's added supreme fitness to his game. When he arrived last season he looked a little flabby round the middle. Now he is totally ripped (as he was keen to demonstrate after the match!) Far too good for this level. Keep him fit and League One player of the season has to be a real possibility.

Vokes is very selfless for a front man, which is great. I was interested to see the different approach from Vokes, McCleary and Horgan to Akinfenwa, Kaikai and Hanlon. I'm afraid I don't think the experiment worked. Hanlon should be used to replace Vokes when he tires, Wheeler and Kaikai behind him. I think we might need to save Bayo until when we're three up from now.

We will probably only start to see the best from Vokes when McCarthy is back (on Tuesday?) as he will thrive on crosses and chips. Obita's for McCleary's second was beautiful, perfectly timed and weighted. Getting those in from either side will see Vokes get into double figures pretty quick.

Finally, Scowen and Thompson have really gelled as a midfield two. And Tafazolli, Stewart and JJ are a fine back three. Perhaps that's why Stockdale switched off a bit in the last 15 minutes. No harm done but he'll need to concentrate more against Man City....

• My opinions... we were totally dominant today bar the last 10 minutes, I think that's every home game now we've been completely on top only to give the momentum away by sitting back at the end, we can't keep that up will bite us at some point.

McCleary was fantastic, closely followed by Horgan. These 2 are going to be stand out players for us this season.

Charlton were poor, until the last 10 easily the poorest we've faced this season in my opinion.

As for fireworks during daytime.... what's that all about ??

• I thought Charlton looked okay for the first 10-15 minutes. Did we start with 4 at the back before moving to 3 around that time, or (more likely) was that just my imagination?

• Obviously all the Charlton fans are whining that they should be beating a sh1t little tin pot club. Reality is we played them off the park for 75% of the game. Champagne football. Slick passing. Total control. Apart from the last five it was about as easy as you can get.
    If Grimmer and Horgan had their shooting boots on it would have been 5 or more.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    They have some very decent players and arguably as the cliche says on paper should be beating us. But they were largely a shambles. Again my pet hate of teams who are not good enough to play out from the back seem to think they are Man City, a joke of a tactic and smacks of arrogance.
    Friend of mine enjoyed the journey from London to AP and warned they were a bunch of a holes looking for a destination - he’s a Charlton fan.

I'm not sure this is actually true itself these days.

We have some incredible names on our team sheet. Stockdale, Horgan, McCleary, Vokes. As big a name as any of theirs.

And as much championship experience, as their squad too.

• I know we will get all the time wasting, dark arts, ref gave us everything bull...but I thought they gave away some pretty stupid fouls and got some unnecessary bookings. They did not deserve a draw. Vokes is a great signing. Nice to see the experiment of playing Hanlon with Bayo and Kaikai has already failed for @aloysius after ten whole minutes!?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know we will get all the time wasting, dark arts, ref gave us everything bull...but I thought they gave away some pretty stupid fouls and got some unnecessary bookings. They did not deserve a draw. Vokes is a great signing. Nice to see the experiment of playing Hanlon with Bayo and Kaikai has already failed for @aloysius after ten whole minutes!?

Scowen's work in the last 5 mins would take some beating.
    Slowly picking the ball up after their goal, then thinking he's going to get away with walking the ball 50metres to the half way line :D

• I don't really have anything against Charlton - I quite like them as a club - but an equalizer would have made the Great Train Robbery look like shoplifting a Mars Bar.

• edited September 2021

In terms of pure ability, I think Garath McCleary is the best player I've ever seen in a Wycombe shirt bar maybe Eze (my first game was in 2003) - but I think he's even better than he was.

• Mclearys performance today was one the best I've seen in a wycombe shirt

• Thoughts on some of the challenges from a few of the Charlton players? Horgs wasn’t best pleased with the one just before the break. I did expect them to end up with 10 men with some of their tackling.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    In terms of pure ability, I think Garath McCleary is the best player I've ever seen in a Wycombe shirt bar maybe Eze (my first game was in 2003) - but I think he's even better than he was.

It's a good shout. As attacking players go Darren Currie was also superb.

• Will Horgan ever score. He does everything else. Was set up on a plate today and didn’t have the confidence (?) to just put his laces through it.
    Cue hat trick on Tuesday

• @Gary said:
    Thoughts on some of the challenges from a few of the Charlton players? Horgs wasn’t best pleased with the one just before the break. I did expect them to end up with 10 men with some of their tackling.

That one looked rather over-zealous, shall we say? I've never seen Horgs riled up remotely like that, so it can't have been great.

• @Gary said:
    Thoughts on some of the challenges from a few of the Charlton players? Horgs wasn’t best pleased with the one just before the break. I did expect them to end up with 10 men with some of their tackling.

Did he lose out by being honest? He could have done an ‘O’Nein’ and rolled around on the touch line as they guy looked out of control.

• Personally I enjoyed the pre match fireworks and thoroughly drunk in a very slick Wycombe performance today. Each starting player contributed plenty and quickly sucked all life out of Charlton and their fans.

It actually felt uncomfortable watching Charlton. From the bench sat arms folded like dummies to the supporters almost stopping supporting the team from about the 25 minute mark. Something is clearly wrong there and it didn’t look like any one involved were that bothered about fixing it. Wonder if we will ever know what happened to Sam Lavelle’s move to Wycombe. I bet he saw what might of been presented by the three attacking Dickens like ghosts in the form of Vokes, McCleary and Horgan.

Do we have to wait an another month for more Adams Park excitement?

• edited September 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Will Horgan ever score. He does everything else. Was set up on a plate today and didn’t have the confidence (?) to just put his laces through it.
    Cue hat trick on Tuesday

A year and a bit into having Horgan I still can't quite say what his strengths are.

He's not really a dribbler or someone who regularly beats players. He's definitely not a finisher, or creative passer or crosser.
    Some good moments today though. One little drag back skill was superb.

• Horgan was brilliant today mate.

• I was right behind the fireworks, I was surprised how hot the flames were, and how close the crowd was to them. On such a warm day, I was glad it was a short display!