Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Luton had a -30!!! When was this?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    Apart from Luton getting that 30 pointer has a club ever had higher than about 12 points deducted?

Leeds started 07/08 on -15

Swindon Town? Automatic and immediate relegation in 1990 after winning the second division play off final at Wembley?

• For all the "easy way out" narrative, it's not much fun for County fans. After all, liquidation is one possible outcome and if that's avoided, they've no idea who the next owner will be, what their motives are, or how deep their pockets will be.

• edited September 2021

@mooneyman said:
    I don't think relegation is certain, in fact with two or three quality players in the January window there is no reason why they couldn't recover the 12 points.

Counterpoint:

• I couldn’t sleep last night so I ended up reading through the post on their forum. One post had plenty of anger and blame directed at Iketchi Anya bizarrely - ‘he’s sitting at home with his millions’ or something along them lines. One other post in particular really annoyed me which was some clown pointing the finger at Steve Gibson and saying that it’s entirely HIS fault that Derby are in this mess. Maybe this poster needs to look a little closer to home.

Their statement seems to have rightfully peed off a number of their fans too.

• @our_frank said:
    For all the "easy way out" narrative, it's not much fun for County fans. After all, liquidation is one possible outcome and if that's avoided, they've no idea who the next owner will be, what their motives are, or how deep their pockets will be.

I feel really sorry for the fans who care so much more than any of the other parties involved in this sorry mess however the club are taking the easy way out
    9 point deduction would most likely equate to relegation which would then highly lead to administration

Putting themselves into administration before the 9 point deduction is confirmed is the easy way out as then all the mess (and points deductions) is confined to a single season and not two

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@our_frank said:
    For all the "easy way out" narrative, it's not much fun for County fans. After all, liquidation is one possible outcome and if that's avoided, they've no idea who the next owner will be, what their motives are, or how deep their pockets will be.

I feel really sorry for the fans who care so much more than any of the other parties involved in this sorry mess however the club are taking the easy way out
    9 point deduction would most likely equate to relegation which would then highly lead to administration

Putting themselves into administration before the 9 point deduction is confirmed is the easy way out as then all the mess (and points deductions) is confined to a single season and not two

I don’t understand why going into administration (largely because another takeover has failed) will avoid the 9 point deduction. Two totally separate things.
    Derby fans saying they are the victims really need to take a long look at themselves. If you want to cry for signing the BIG players it costs. And a reality check is required.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@our_frank said:

I don’t understand why going into administration (largely because another takeover has failed) will avoid the 9 point deduction. Two totally separate things.
    Derby fans saying they are the victims really need to take a long look at themselves. If you want to cry for signing the BIG players it costs. And a reality check is required.

I don't think they'll necessarily be looking to avoid any punishment, just trying to neatly package it up into this year only. Tbh until they get new owners they are screwed but it should be much easier after clearing / defaulting on their debt. People feel sorry for the fans but it's not as if they are going bust , they'll just have some time in League 1.

• I'm finding it really hard to feel sorry for the Derby fans, they seem very insistent that they have done nothing wrong... when they clearly have... and they were quite happy to sit back and watch the club spend millions more than they should have. Quite frankly, stuff em, cheats.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm finding it really hard to feel sorry for the Derby fans, they seem very insistent that they have done nothing wrong... when they clearly have... and they were quite happy to sit back and watch the club spend millions more than they should have. Quite frankly, stuff em, cheats.

It’ll be a mix bag. Some Derby fans I’m sure will acknowledge that it was deserved, others will claim they’ve been wronged. Football’s a funny sport that can make you gloss over your own club’s mistakes whilst zero’ing in on the mistakes of other clubs.

Personally the biggest tragedy is that it’s always the fans that pay the price. The Derby owner will sell the club and move on from it all, but the fans will live with the consequences of his actions for a long time.

I’m not Rob Couhig’s biggest fan from a PR perspective, I think he’s occasionally bordered on the delusional in some of the stuff he’s said, but he is spot on about owners purely being temporary custodians.

• @eric_plant said:
    The meltdown on here when Derby's points deduction keeps Peterborough up is going to be something to behold

On the bright side some people will be able to smugly post about being above all the ill-informed impassioned immature posts about it...so swings and roundabouts

• I work in Derby and can confirm that even the more reasonable supporters genuinely believe their rightful home is the Premier League.

The last decade has been an exercise in expensive delusion. Celebrity managers, showbiz signings etc.

This all feeds into the disbelief you see from their fans today on the socials. As an outsider looking in, I’m amazed it took as long as it did.

I am going to enjoy meeting the individual who discounted my views in a football conversation a few years back by saying ‘You’ve not really watched football at a decent level though, have you’?

• They are loving us on the Derby fans forum of course if the situation was reversed they’d be calling on Morris to forget the money.

• Perhaps time to remember we are not Peterborough and stop bloody whining.

• edited September 2021

@DevC said:
    Perhaps time to remember we are not Peterborough and stop bloody whining.

Bit of a difference between being 'denied' promotion because of extraordinary circumstances brought on by a pandemic and being relegated because the team who finished above you cooked their books. Who's whining anyway? All I see is a chairman exploring his options so he can do what's right by his club.

• edited September 2021

I repeat again. If Rob Couhig has to explain to shareholders why he didn't do more to fight the Derby ruling given Wycombe have lost, by his calculations, £20m from being relegated, then surely he should also have to justify why he didn't release any funds for transfer fees during the January window from the £10m he says we had already banked. No guarantee it would have kept us up. But my suspicion is Rob had already given up on the season and was not expecting Gareth to turn things around the way he did.

• I suppose it is a matter of;- is there a case based on deliberately delaying the process or was it that these such matters take this long to sort anyway and hence blame cannot be apportioned.

• @DevC said:
    Perhaps time to remember we are not Peterborough and stop bloody whining.

Maybe your greatest ever post

• Oh Christ! if it's not Bayo is crap it's if he's so bothered why didn't Rob open his chequebook to buy The Player (still unnamed) who would have guaranteed survival? shoehorned into every discussion.

• @aloysius

Sometimes you…..

• Could whoever keeps pulling that string on @aloysius' back please stop. Maybe play with his eagle eyes instead.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Oh Christ! if it's not Bayo is crap it's if he's so bothered why didn't Rob open his chequebook to buy The Player (still unnamed) who would have guaranteed survival? shoehorned into every discussion.

Shouldn't there be something about crisps here too?

• @ReturnToSenda touche but in my defence, though I do respond, I think you'll find in the main Potato snack related issues are not very often raised by my good self. ?

• I do read it that Derby deliberately delayed the inevitable and if that was the case then they make a mockery of the rules.

• @aloysius said:
    I repeat again. If Rob Couhig has to explain to shareholders why he didn't do more to fight the Derby ruling given Wycombe have lost, by his calculations, £20m from being relegated, then surely he should also have to justify why he didn't release any funds for transfer fees during the January window from the £10m he says we had already banked. No guarantee it would have kept us up. But my suspicion is Rob had already given up on the season and was not expecting Gareth to turn things around the way he did.

What shareholders?

• @HCblue said:

@aloysius said:

What shareholders?

In the BBC article linked above, Rob explains why he's considering legal action now as due to his responsibility to the 25% stake owned by the Trust made up of 1000s of individual shareholders.

• TBF to @aloysius, there are many footballing reasons why we got relegated last season and perhaps we should be putting more blame there. Going to court versus Derby, The EFL or whoever won’t take us back to the Championship, definitely doesn’t make us any friends, and just generally makes us look whiny and pathetic.

We had a chance to stay in the Championship and ultimately fell short. I don’t personally believe that any off the pitch cheating from Derby played any major part in that failure.

• There is no way on earth we will get our relegation reversed nor should we, it would be a farce. On the other hand if Derby’s owners deliberately held back information that would have condemned them to relegation we should be compensated. Smacks of Sheff Utd and West Ham over the Tevez affair.
    However with the debts, inevitable relegation, fines, more deductions if there’s a Derby next season who knows.